Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 01:47 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,225 times

Advertisements

He said, "You, your hair, and how it sets such a bad example."

If someone was swinging a baseball bat at you, would you try to figure out why, or how hard they intend to hit, or if they even meant to hurt you?

Stop being nice to people like this. He probably has gotten away with stuff like this before. Let him run up against someone who isn't going to take his stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 01:53 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
maybe he is gay? and judgemental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
You're trying to rationalize too much and give him the benefit of the doubt. "He says it sets a bad example."
It's sexual harrassment, because he 99% probably would not have ever made a remark like that to a man.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:35 PM

451 posts, read 1,228,413 times
Quote:
You're trying to rationalize too much and give him the benefit of the doubt. "He says it sets a bad example."
It's sexual harrassment, because he 99% probably would not have ever made a remark like that to a man.

Maybe I am rationalizing a little, but the sexual harrasment threshold for me hasn't been hit yet. I would need much more info on what is going on. Also I have had that said to me before "sets a bad example" for my pants hanging too low.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:31 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post
Maybe I am rationalizing a little, but the sexual harrasment threshold for me hasn't been hit yet. I would need much more info on what is going on. Also I have had that said to me before "sets a bad example" for my pants hanging too low.

Read the description of her hair. If she is doing her job, what is it his business. Maybe she doesn't like his watch. Should she smugly inform him of that?

Old 03-15-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Read the description of her hair. If she is doing her job, what is it his business. Maybe she doesn't like his watch. Should she smugly inform him of that?

Its none of his business, but you said in earlier post it was sexual harrassment

Sexual harassment is harassment or unwelcome attention of a sexual nature.

I don't feel he has hit that mark with the information she provided. Thats all I'm saying. So if somebody that worked for me complained of another co worker sexually harrassing them and above was what he said to her, it would not be consider sexual harrassment by me, but harrassment in general. Then we would be holding training on the company's policy's reguarding different types of harrassment and what they are so everybody is clear. Using the wrong words when trying to communicate can lead to some unwanted tension in the work place and break down of productivity.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:48 PM

Either way no "ethical" attorney will take the case because it won't fly/win in court. Maybe Judge Judy but not in real court.

Plus, it costs way too much money to pay for an attorny and then win some very low amount settlement. What attorney is going to waste his or her time with that?

Quote:
Its none of his business, but you said in earlier post it was sexual harrassment

I don't feel he has hit that mark with the information she provided. Thats all I'm saying. So if somebody that worked for me complained of another co worker sexually harrassing them and above was what he said to her, it would not be consider sexual harrassment by me, but harrassment in general. Then we would be holding training on the company's policy's reguarding different types of harrassment and what they are so everybody is clear. Using the wrong words when trying to communicate can lead to some unwanted tension in the work place and break down of productivity.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:49 PM

is telling a co-workers friends outside of work that he or she has stds and is pregnant, sexual harassment. (it did not take place in the work place but outside).

Quote:

Old 03-15-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
is telling a co-workers friends outside of work that he or she has stds and is pregnant, sexual harassment. (it did not take place in the work place but outside).

I don't know all the rules on that. I feel that if it made it to work I would treat it as such. That is a tough one to chew on. I'm not a SA or equal oppertunity expert. I really don't know how I would handle that situation. I would still have everybody come in for a sitdown(not the person mentioned)and let them know weather true or not, I will not tolerate that type of behavor in the workplace. I would ask HR to advise on this.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:29 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,464,056 times
Harassment doesn't have to constitute sexual harassment to be a legal issue for your company. Document the dates & times of everything that has happened in the past & what you did. Going forward keep a log of all incidences. If you have any emails forward them home to retain as a paper trail. Find out what you have to do (via a private consultation with a lawyer if necessary - not very expensive probably) to create a paper trail in talking to the "right" people. Do not accept mediation as an answer. The bottom line is if this individual does not stop permeating a hostile work environment, he should not be allowed to continue working in your department or any where near you. Personally, if he really does have a history of harassing people, I would consider firing him. You are probably not the only one he has been inappropriate with and he knows what he is doing. People like him are generally unhappy with something in their life & they latch on to someone they think they can bring down as well who won't object. After all, misery loves company.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:02 PM

A consultation might not be expensive but hiring is expensive and will most likely be a waste of cash. Your settlement over that minor comment will be so small even if you do happen to win. The settlement will not even cover the attorney bill, as is true in so many cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
Harassment doesn't have to constitute sexual harassment to be a legal issue for your company. Document the dates & times of everything that has happened in the past & what you did. Going forward keep a log of all incidences. If you have any emails forward them home to retain as a paper trail. Find out what you have to do (via a private consultation with a lawyer if necessary - not very expensive probably) to create a paper trail in talking to the "right" people. Do not accept mediation as an answer. The bottom line is if this individual does not stop permeating a hostile work environment, he should not be allowed to continue working in your department or any where near you. Personally, if he really does have a history of harassing people, I would consider firing him. You are probably not the only one he has been inappropriate with and he knows what he is doing. People like him are generally unhappy with something in their life & they latch on to someone they think they can bring down as well who won't object. After all, misery loves company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment