Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 11:34 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times

Advertisements

Rap music
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 12:03 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
loud music, noisy customers or staff will drive me out of a store fast.
smell--patchouli, body odor, or any strong fragrance from the store's stock, staff or other customers
being followed around the store creeps me out.
long lines make me assess how much I want something
too hot. too cold might be a problem elsewhere, haven't seen it here.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:37 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingx View Post
Is it not being acknowledged when walking in? Is it not being asked if you need help and look lost? Is it the general vibe of the store?

I only walk out of retail stores when I get treated rudely. It rarely happens, and I'm someone that is very understanding and doesn't need to be coddled when I go into a store. I just don't want to be treated dismissively if I'm just asking a question because I'm a good customer that is pretty patient and not obnoxious at all. I hate rude customers so I try my hardest to make sure I never give retail employees a hard time.

I'm not sure this thread is in the right place, I thought this sub forum would be the best place for it but if it needs to be moved then please do so Mods!
My answer will be geared toward the relevancy of "Work and Employment".

Why would I walk out from a retail store? The store manager is incoherent at what job a potential hire has applied for, or, having critical turnover in low-paying entry positions, is calling in everyone to hype up the positions. Associates may appear bad and do not interact with customers well. The store is constantly dead with no customers, a precursor to not enough business is being made.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:42 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Being ignored by a sales associate when I'm clearly standing there at the counter for a reason.
I was at a retail store recently where a customer was at the register talking on the phone and creating a line of other customers. The cashier motioned the customer to end the phone call in order to receive service. The customer had a whiskey tango foxtrot moment, and left with an attitude. Succeeding customers congratulated the cashier.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:07 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
A Home Depot associate was helping me figure out which plumbing part I needed when he suddenly started talking nonsense. I realized he was talking on his cell phone. Hello? I'd already had to find an associate, then wait for him to finish with another customer. It's my turn now!

I bought the parts I found for myself; the associate caught up with me as I checked out to say that they are required to take phone calls. I blew him off. I've called there many times and not gotten through, so that's not working real well.

I made a point of going online and complaining. I'm sure that changed store policy...

Old 09-06-2017, 05:21 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Ugly merchandise. Poor selection. At a grocer's, food that doesn't appear to be fresh.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:18 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
I work retail. Wanted to thank some folks who aired their concerns.
So what I gather is...
Clerks are to read your mind. Not bother you but be there to find the product. Revise the price because you wish to keep within your budget.
Ignore policy. And if something isn't in your size...Whip out a sewing machine and make it! Okay,got it.
Now here is the clerk's reality. We are to be on guard for safety of our consumers. We are to remain cordial without invading your shopping experience. We are to know 'our department's ' products. We have zero authority to price change . We are to answer our business phone and listen to the customer,while the angry customer at our register wants our immediate attention. Never mind that there is a customer on the phone !
We are to refund you when you bring back a dress that you wore to your re union but would never wear again. Yes we hear it all.. and ultimately get return business. Because,you,the consumer,sign my paycheck. Or do you?
I have only a few expectations when shopping...Be polite,be patient and be willing to thank a person. This goes both ways..Be you the consumer or service rep.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:35 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,322,724 times
I'm a value shopper. The last retail store I walked out of was Dillards. I was looking for a shirt. When I saw that their prices started at about $50, I bailed.

I'm not their target customer. I guess I am A Target customer.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:28 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I work retail. Wanted to thank some folks who aired their concerns.
So what I gather is...
Clerks are to read your mind. Not bother you but be there to find the product. Revise the price because you wish to keep within your budget.
Ignore policy. And if something isn't in your size...Whip out a sewing machine and make it! Okay,got it.
Now here is the clerk's reality. We are to be on guard for safety of our consumers. We are to remain cordial without invading your shopping experience. We are to know 'our department's ' products. We have zero authority to price change . We are to answer our business phone and listen to the customer,while the angry customer at our register wants our immediate attention. Never mind that there is a customer on the phone !
We are to refund you when you bring back a dress that you wore to your re union but would never wear again. Yes we hear it all.. and ultimately get return business. Because,you,the consumer,sign my paycheck. Or do you?
I have only a few expectations when shopping...Be polite,be patient and be willing to thank a person. This goes both ways..Be you the consumer or service rep.

Fair enough.

But, how dangerous is shopping? (And sadly, people will file suit if they catch a hang nail on a hanger.....)

Make a choice. The customer in front of you, or the customer on the phone. Protocol would dictate that the customer in front of you receives priority. The caller can wait, just like I did waiting for your attention.

Be product knowledgeable. All of us can read the label, and typically the customer has already "pre-shopped" so they know the high level stuff....product capacity, size, manufacturer, use, technical specifics, etc. You need to be able to take it to the next level. Tell me something about comparison, longevity, or things which are not generally known. Demonstrate your expertise. If you can't you need more training before you hit the floor in your department.

Pricing....if you aren't the person who is authorized to discuss markdowns or competing with another seller who offers the product at a lower price, then you aren't the right person to be on the floor. It's a new world. We know what the "right" price is. You should too!

Thankfulness goes both ways. You give me your undivided attention on a product, demonstrate knowledge which gives me an advantage on purchasing a product, and make my experience superior and I will be very thankful. Many times I have gone above and beyond to talk with billy-bobs manager and express the superior service which I received. It goes both ways. And without me, yes, you have no paycheck over the long haul. Treat that however you like.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:30 AM

769 posts, read 782,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
We are to be on guard for safety of our consumers.
Oh please. That BS is already ultra annoying when flight attendants use it to justify their job.

As a retail employee you are there to facilitate a pleasant shopping experience so that customers spend money to generate a profit for your employer and to pay your salary.

You are most definitely not responsible for my safety (?!?) when I shop for clothes or produce. That's what the mall rent a cop is for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment