Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 07:22 AM

574 posts, read 382,791 times

Advertisements

Don't like em, until I need them of course... haven't had a real need for one so far, and I intend to keep it that way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 07:43 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,281 times
My old roommate is a lawyer. I personally have hired a bunch of lawyers (from simple corporate stuff to litigation).

They are patient people. Whenever you contact/need one, your situation is top of my mind, but in the end you are just no big deal to anyone.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:52 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Twice I have needed legal counsel.

Until you have the need, you might not have the appreciation.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:35 AM

103 posts, read 76,535 times
I know lawyers get a bad rap, but that's probably from people who've got something nefarious going on. If you get a good one, and there are many, what you'll find is someone who is brilliant at critical, logical and moral thinking. Just to get into a good law school requires incredible intelligence, and going through law school itself is a 24/7 hazing ritual that would exhaust a marathon runner.
Remember, arguing is a logical art, the ability to hold two opposing views in your mind at the same time, and be able to present each point convincingly. To practice law, you have to memorize and know in your bones, ALL the elements, then be able to apply them to the facts of the case at hand. I assure you, this is no mean feat.

Personally, I like lawyers, as people, and as defenders of my situation in court. Of course there are "bad" ones. So, do your homework, and ask around for the info on the best law firms. After all, they really do work as a team. And, more surprising, the opposing lawyer will often be a friendly colleague of your attorney...it's a very closed system actually. So work it.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:29 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times
I don't really have an opinion about lawyers. My cousin is an attorney, specializes in real estate and probate law. He's a pretty nice guy.

I just had to get a lawyer due to a car accident I was in. Im pretty nervous about it

Old 09-24-2017, 11:53 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
3 times I hired an attorney and every time I was told how they would get what I wanted it went the other way I lost. I find attorney's are more salesmen getting clients then really care about their client.
I am an attorney. I try to give clients a pretty good idea of what will really happen in their matters. Bankruptcy happens to be my specialty.

Quote:
I guess so much competitions they say anything to get you on retainer.
Obviously without naming names that's true of many of my competitors.

Quote:
I once hired a BK attorney in a large ch 11 where I was a creditor my own attorney got thrown out of court by the judge because he didn't even process his claim correctly the motion he filed was correct another attorney stole the idea and filed it for his client. I ended up not getting my money back (BK usually professionals get paid first with a claim). Everyone else attorney's got paid not mine he was an idiot. It was almost like he had never been in a court room the judge laughed at him as they read off all these rules he didn't follow.
His client may have had very different facts from you. I wouldn't be surprised if your attorney used documents previously written for someone like the other attorney's clients. Let me explain.

In almost all bankruptcy courts and other federal courts (and increasingly in state courts) documents are electronically filed. For example I practice mostly in the Unites States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York (link to SDNY e-filing site) and Eastern District of New York (link to EDNY e-filing site). On a large matter I can usually find lots of motions. I can copy the paperwork for any one of them without breaking any rules, and adapt them to my matter. The devil is in the details of picking the right one to adapt and doing so appropriately. Deadlines are also key. If your attorney missed the deadline the Judge will often laugh at him or her.

Quote:
Later I found he worked for a big firm the year before as a JR attorney was not very good they let him go he opened his own practice mostly personal BK's had no experience with larger business BK.
Not a surprise. The big firms often do a lousy job at training. They may or may not do well if they are there long enough to pick up what their grizzled elders are doing.

In my case, I started practicing in January 1983 (admitted February 1983) with a five-lawyer firm which itself wasn't very good. I learned more when in January 1984 I switched to a solo practitioner, ironically the brother of one of the partners and a son of another, but they didn't get along at all. Next was a 10 lawyer firm I worked for briefly in 1985-6. The senior partner was convicted in 2013 of filching over $800,000 from an escrow account. About them the less said the better.

In June 1986 I started working for a solo practitioner. His training of me was a baptism by fire. In September 1986 he called from the courthouse from a payphone, in the days when those existed and he asked me to bring him a case file. I arrived about 20 minutes later and instead of taking the files he pointed to the podium, and told me to start arguing. While we didn't win, the judge wrote a 12 page scholarly decision defeating us. In this case we were trying to undo Mitchell Lama mortgage restrictions in order to enable the low-income coop to go upscale. In hindsight loss was likely but the training was invaluable. And before someone asks if we should have taken the matter we took it on a light retainer, knowing that if we succeeded everyone would make money.

I was with him till the end of 2014 and just rejoined him. In my opinion his training is the right way. The big-firm style, not so much. We were both at a big firm during calendar year 2014. The training given younger attorneys was risible.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:58 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
If it wasn't for lawyers, the insurance companies wouldn't pay you anything. Think of how angry you get when someone wrongs you. For instance someone building over your property line or a constructive termination.

Attorneys are the sane and mature man's alternative to loading your shotgun and driving to their office.
You hit the nail on the head. Courts are classically the civilized way to resolve disputes. All truly civilized societies employ some form of neutral to resolve disputes, going back to the days Jethro advised Moses to delegate dispute-resolution to others.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:20 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Our former personal lawyer of 20 years was a friend until he was convicted of $1.6 million dollar tax evasion several years ago and sent to jail. He was a family man, a pillar of the community, and seemingly honest. We haven't had a lawyer since and don't plan on befriending any lawyers again.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:38 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
I worked for a short while in a law firm. I found most of them to be extremely materialistic, full of themselves and pretty obnoxious. When I've had to hire lawyers for various reasons I found them to be money grubbing and ready to grab every penny they could get out of you. I dislike them....very much.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:11 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
What is your opinion of lawyers?
Some are jerks. Some are great people. Just like people in every profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment