Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 07:43 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Yes, people lie. But I don't have my cashier job at a chicken joint when I was 16-18 on my LinkedIn. Why would anyone include jobs that are irrelevant to what they do currently?
Same here. There's no point in putting customer service or retail jobs on a resume that were job worked many years ago, before the person began his professional career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 10:58 PM

1,378 posts, read 737,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
I created a business after i graduated. It's real on paper and has a professional looking website. Me and my friends use it all the time whenever we want to fabricate job experiences to land a position...never been caught.
Sweet! I use it all the time, but if you use it and it's your business, how do they verify that you "worked" there, I thought about doing the same thing with a regular business and a non profit. How did you get the website made?

Old 09-27-2017, 12:11 AM

638 posts, read 529,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron210 View Post
Recently, I started to use linkedin to see and compare career progression especially those people with degrees. FWIW, I have a BA in History and a Master in Public Administration. The weird thing that I noticed, is that with the people that I look up at my job, none of them state any kind of customer service positions or retail positions. The person that runs my division's linkedin starts off with a VP position over 20 years ago, and it sounds like a retail store, but their position was "VP". ...

I also found someone that had a similar education to mine, she had a BA in French and a MPA, again, no retail or customer service positions, just management and she worked at a interior design firm and later for a IT company.... However, when I see stuff like this, they are working the positions and I am not, so it is definitely attainable.

So I guess the question is...do people lie or fudge things such as dates/positions on linkedin? Because it sure does look that way to me..
I'm not sure I follow your entire post, but I am 40, so I have about 25 years of working experience. I assure you I do not put my experience from the age of 15 - 21 (during my secondary and baccalaureate education) on LinkedIn unless it was specifically relevant, such as management positions I got when I was 19-20 in internships.

Of course I've worked retail but nobody really needs to know that I worked in fast food and at a clothing retailer for 12 months to rock my way through an associate's degree.

I also don't put the experience I got as a secret shopper and part-time babysitter supplementing my consulting income during the recession though I was hustling as much as anyone. I put the actual consulting positions.

I keep my experience to the point and relevant. As far as an employer knows, and as far as anyone guesses, I was born and raised in the social class I worked so hard to enter and I prefer to keep it that way. It makes it easier for the upper class to socialize with me without guilt or awkwardness, and I will happily share my struggle with junior staff members.

You also mention other questionable things like people being a project manager without programming languages. While it's ideal to have worked as a dev or analyst prior to tech management, many people have no such experience and don't put programming languages or scripting skills on LinkedIn or their CV.

Your LinkedIn and CV should read like a highlight reel of your career, not a bibliography. It is perfectly acceptable as well to use months instead of specific dates, or years if you wish, though it's not okay to lie about specific dates. You can also use the date of hiring instead of the day you started on a job, though I personally don't do that.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:41 AM

801 posts, read 547,771 times
Quote:
Sweet! I use it all the time, but if you use it and it's your business, how do they verify that you "worked" there, I thought about doing the same thing with a regular business and a non profit. How did you get the website made?
I highly doubt HR will check who the business is registered under.

Creating a website isn't something i can explain in a post, unfortunately. But anyone who is willing to learn can do it.

Last edited by Liar_Liar; 09-27-2017 at 04:36 AM..

Old 09-27-2017, 07:28 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
Recently, I started to use linkedin to see and compare career progression especially those people with degrees. FWIW, I have a BA in History and a Master in Public Administration. The weird thing that I noticed, is that with the people that I look up at my job, none of them state any kind of customer service positions or retail positions. The person that runs my division's linkedin starts off with a VP position over 20 years ago, and it sounds like a retail store, but their position was "VP". Ok, I guess, so then I had looked up two other managers that I knew, and they both stated that they started two months ago, which is impossible, because I was there at my job and they didn't hired on until this month.

I also found someone that had a similar education to mine, she had a BA in French and a MPA, again, no retail or customer service positions, just management and she worked at a interior design firm and later for a IT company. I find that hard to believe because she did not list any programming languages though she was a project manager and the interior design firm still has her picture up on their website even almost 5 months of her leaving that job. She was also the only one that did not have an interior design degree. Another person stated that they had worked at a manager position for a year, but screwed up and put that they were there from sept-feb..of the same year.

For the interior design person, I kind of wonder if she didn't pay to have a professional reference. I feel like that is what it is. I look this stuff up, because I keep applying myself, and I never get any call backs. For the longest time, I blamed my degree and even hated it, because I listened to people that said that liberal arts were worthless and you can't do anything with a history degree except teach. However, when I see stuff like this, they are working the positions and I am not, so it is definitely attainable.

So I guess the question is...do people lie or fudge things such as dates/positions on linkedin? Because it sure does look that way to me..
When Linkedin itself is overvalued, why not the profiles?? It doesnt count for anything if you have real contacts.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:12 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
There are people who don't lie on LinkedIn however for the most part LinkedIn is a giant cess pool of lying, oversized ego narcissists. So yes, they exaggerate and lie.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:06 PM

1,378 posts, read 737,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Yes, people lie. But I don't have my cashier job at a chicken joint when I was 16-18 on my LinkedIn. Why would anyone include jobs that are irrelevant to what they do currently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
I'm not sure I follow your entire post, but I am 40, so I have about 25 years of working experience. I assure you I do not put my experience from the age of 15 - 21 (during my secondary and baccalaureate education) on LinkedIn unless it was specifically relevant, such as management positions I got when I was 19-20 in internships.

Of course I've worked retail but nobody really needs to know that I worked in fast food and at a clothing retailer for 12 months to rock my way through an associate's degree.

I also don't put the experience I got as a secret shopper and part-time babysitter supplementing my consulting income during the recession though I was hustling as much as anyone. I put the actual consulting positions.

I keep my experience to the point and relevant. As far as an employer knows, and as far as anyone guesses, I was born and raised in the social class I worked so hard to enter and I prefer to keep it that way. It makes it easier for the upper class to socialize with me without guilt or awkwardness, and I will happily share my struggle with junior staff members.

You also mention other questionable things like people being a project manager without programming languages. While it's ideal to have worked as a dev or analyst prior to tech management, many people have no such experience and don't put programming languages or scripting skills on LinkedIn or their CV.

Your LinkedIn and CV should read like a highlight reel of your career, not a bibliography. It is perfectly acceptable as well to use months instead of specific dates, or years if you wish, though it's not okay to lie about specific dates. You can also use the date of hiring instead of the day you started on a job, though I personally don't do that.
True, but one of the people is in her 40s, so unless she got a vp position at 24, which I highly doubt, then there is no way that is right. Same with the other person. The bad part is that all I have had is customer service positions since 2013, does that mean that I shouldn't put that on mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
I highly doubt HR will check who the business is registered under.

Creating a website isn't something i can explain in a post, unfortunately. But anyone who is willing to learn can do it.
No i meant like, if you say you worked there, do they call you, or do they call one of your friends as a reference for you working there? it's not a bad idea tbh

Old 09-27-2017, 12:20 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
Of course people lie. Some also probably just put what is beneficial and relevant. Right now I have both of my previous jobs and my current listed. This is my first job in my field, so my previous jobs give me job history, experience and some skills. After 10+ years in my field, the food management job I had in college probably won't be relevant.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:54 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I know people that lie on Linkedin, resume and references and use friends as fake references to back them up. And these people continuously get jobs that way
Really? Most time employers prefer a reference to have a business contact number.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:01 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarmy View Post
Not sure if people lie, but an awful lot of vague acquaintances endorse me for skills I don't have.
Weird isn't it. I'm endorsed for being an actress and doing voice overs. Neither would I ever do, nor have I done in the past.

I'd love to have a SAG card for the bennies but not happening with just an endorsement from someone I don't even know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment