Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 03:23 AM

403 posts, read 666,828 times

Advertisements

I got hired right on the spot after bombing an interview for a call center position (in a place that has several call centers) a while back. They pulled me aside, and the conversation went like this:

Them: Hey, we're sorry, but based off of the answers that you gave, I'm not necessarily sure that either of the call center positions that you've applied for would be a good fit for you.
Me: Sorry.
Them: However, the one call center that you didn't apply for has a ton of vacancies right now, and it's a lot easier. Would this be something that interests you?
Me: Yes, it would.
Them: Alright, I'll sign you up for the training class!

They didn't tell me that it was a sales call center during the interview, however! I then realized that they'll hire anybody, so it wasn't that remarkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 07:55 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times
I’m highly critical of myself. So though I don’t think I’ve bombed an interview in the traditional sense, I do feel like I could have performed better at times. And sometimes I’ve been surprised with a job offer when I didn’t think I did that well. And then there are times I felt I did really well and did not receive an offer. That’s how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Take it for what it is (a paycheck) and try to make the most of it. If nothing else, it is experience to take to the next job.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:56 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
So, the employer is just in desperate need of employee, basically any kind of employee, anyone who has a brain to do some task. This kind of job is probably not the best job, but at least will get you a paycheck.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:24 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
]I interviewed for an office position in a department store...it was a clerical position, NOT in sales. I was asked if I "enjoyed people". Not sure what it meant, I repeated, "Enjoy?" I was then asked if I "was a People Person". I said, truthfully, not particularly, I'm an introvert . I'm pleasant with everyone, but I am not an outgoing, gregarious person who enjoys interacting all day. I would NOT have done well in sales or customer service.

I was asked if I was good at gift wrapping. I said, no. Truthfully, I hate wrapping anything and always use gift bags. I had thought the job entailed working at a desk in the basement office, behind the scenes, away from the public. Boy, did I blow that one.

Turns out, I got the job and didn't have to interract at all with the public (except when they tried to teach me to giftwrap, which I purposely botched).

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 10-06-2017 at 12:35 PM..

Old 10-06-2017, 01:26 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times
I once thought I bombed an interview, or at least they didn't like me, it then they asked for a second.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:33 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
I’m highly critical of myself. So though I don’t think I’ve bombed an interview in the traditional sense, I do feel like I could have performed better at times. And sometimes I’ve been surprised with a job offer when I didn’t think I did that well. And then there are times I felt I did really well and did not receive an offer. That’s how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Take it for what it is (a paycheck) and try to make the most of it. If nothing else, it is experience to take to the next job.
Mostly this. The interview was accompanied with a skills test similar to the Wonderlic exam. The combination of my high score on the test and weak interpersonal skills, especially in interviews, got me the job.

I'm tasked with split-second, guttural reaction decisions.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:47 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,804 times
I am pretty good at interviewing (on both sides of the table), so like Left-handed said, I probably haven't "bombed" an interview. I have gotten offers that I didn't expect and failed to get offers that I did expect, but a lot of it boils down to the size and quality of the applicant field. If I had interviewed at different times, I may have been turned down for jobs that I got and gotten jobs that I was declined for. Overall, it has worked out pretty well.

In the situation that the OP mentioned, it seems that the company was desperate for employees at the alternate location. That said, a job is a job. It may be the start of something bigger, or simply a learning experience. Time will tell.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:19 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
This just happened to me this week. I have social anxiety and it peaks during interviews. I froze up and was so quiet during my last interview. But yesterday I received the offer in writing and this morning I turned in my information to do a credit check (which will be fine because I currently have no credit history).

Odds are that even though I froze and I thought I was quiet, I carried myself well enough to get the job. There was a chance I was too hard on myself. I felt so humiliated after the interview I hid inside for two days. I really wanted the job because there were so FEW jobs that were entry level and paid well, ESPECIALLY in the concentration I studied for.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:21 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
I think being a Seahawk fan should be enough to hire any person any day

Old 10-09-2017, 08:18 AM

1,091 posts, read 580,096 times
My first "real" job was somewhat like this, though I didn't exactly "bomb". After the initial interview, my future boss told me I wasn't quite what they were looking for. Three weeks later, I got a call for a second interview during which I was offered the job. You just never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment