Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 12:47 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
What should I do next for something like that?
You might want to hold off on making a big step until you figure out exactly what you want out of life. That sometimes takes a while.

IMHO, it's important to know what you value most in life before making a big career change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
You are probably the first person in the history of the world to use the words "social worker" and "wealthy" in the same sentence without using the word "not."
I thought the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 12:51 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
You are probably the first person in the history of the world to use the words "social worker" and "wealthy" in the same sentence with using the word "not." Like you were told in your thread on the topic, government jobs are tough to get, and you would be a poor candidate. You are setting yourself up for disappointment.
Well, is law school a good ROI?

I'm looking to make the most money as possible with the least amount of debt possible--in a field with very high job security, as in, I want to be sure to always have a job in the field and I don't want to be replaced by a robot.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
You might want to hold off on making a big step until you figure out exactly what you want out of life. That sometimes takes a while.

IMHO, it's important to know what you value most in life before making a big career change.

I thought the same thing.
I live paycheck to paycheck as a pharmacy tech, I hate the job, and it feels like I spend all my damn time there. It only makes 13/hour. I want to learn something worth at least 90k a year, but the more the better.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:18 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
I live paycheck to paycheck as a pharmacy tech, I hate the job, and it feels like I spend all my damn time there. It only makes 13/hour. I want to learn something worth at least 90k a year, but the more the better.
Ironically, if you were ONLY interested in making a good salary, and having a stable job, I would suggest you become a pharmacist. But I don't think that would work out for you.

If your primary interest is a decent paycheck, you can go into almost anything really with the degree you have now.

When it comes to salary, it's not really about the field you go into or the degree you get. It's about experience and how much $ you can make your employers.

Just go on the internet and start looking at different sales or finance, or real estate jobs, etc. Perform well in those fields, and you should hit 90K eventually without too much problem.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Ironically, if you were ONLY interested in making a good salary, and having a stable job, I would suggest you become a pharmacist. But I don't think that would work out for you.

If your primary interest is a decent paycheck, you can go into almost anything really with the degree you have now.

When it comes to salary, it's not really about the field you go into or the degree you get. It's about experience and how much $ you can make your employers.

Just go on the internet and start looking at different sales or finance, or real estate jobs, etc. Perform well in those fields, and you should hit 90K eventually without too much problem.
Real estate might work, maybe

Old 11-07-2017, 05:55 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:
Well, is law school a good ROI?

I'm looking to make the most money as possible with the least amount of debt possible--in a field with very high job security, as in, I want to be sure to always have a job in the field and I don't want to be replaced by a robot.
Not at all, especially if you don't go to a T 1 school. Do some research; a lot of law school graduates can't even get full time jobs as low paid entry level lawyers. You go 150K into debt so you can make 36-40 thousand a year being a public defender -- if the you get the PD job. A good lawyer from a regional law school can make a good middle class to upper middle class living if they put their time in and pay their dues. Take a practice LSAT and see how you do.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:31 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
My good friend is a pharmacist and just opened a pharmacy and is currently losing her ass.

Not a great idea.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
My good friend is a pharmacist and just opened a pharmacy and is currently losing her ass.

Not a great idea.
I might just stick with going into social work since I'm so close. Maybe contribute into their retirement TSP and find some hobby or something. In my experience, even before the depression hit, if I liked something, getting paid for it took all the fun and joy out of it...doubly so now that I'm depressed...but meds don't work well on me, so I'm just trying to power through and do something that pays a respectable living.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:19 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,143,681 times
you can't make a plan that depends on you getting a federal job. you need a broader approach. is SW something you still want to do outside the govt? if not, i'd suggest re-evaluating your choice.

you've been all over the place in the last year or so, talking about moving to europe, joining the military, teaching, moving to the southwest, etc.
this in and of itself is not bad but indicates you haven't found something that strikes your fancy.

you've gotten good suggestions here (shadowing, career counselors on campus, etc).

you've indicated money is important to you. SW for the feds is not a way to riches, comfortable might be a better way to describe it.

check out job postings on usajobs for social work. look at the quals and job duties. inpatient social work for the VA can be high stress/high volume. see if the job description matches what you think the job entails. if so, work from there. if not, keep looking for other career options.

as for resume building first you need the education. until that piece is in place there's not much building to be done.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
you can't make a plan that depends on you getting a federal job. you need a broader approach. is SW something you still want to do outside the govt? if not, i'd suggest re-evaluating your choice.

you've been all over the place in the last year or so, talking about moving to europe, joining the military, teaching, moving to the southwest, etc.
this in and of itself is not bad but indicates you haven't found something that strikes your fancy.

you've gotten good suggestions here (shadowing, career counselors on campus, etc).

you've indicated money is important to you. SW for the feds is not a way to riches, comfortable might be a better way to describe it.

check out job postings on usajobs for social work. look at the quals and job duties. inpatient social work for the VA can be high stress/high volume. see if the job description matches what you think the job entails. if so, work from there. if not, keep looking for other career options.

as for resume building first you need the education. until that piece is in place there's not much building to be done.
I DO have a bachelors of general studies, so I might teach through the peace corps and use their vista program to get into the federal government for pharmacy tech. I might hate pharmacy tech, but at least I can get into government and it pay better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment