Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 11:58 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,875 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty money focused, and the best income to debt ratio I can find is to become a Federal Social Worker and work my way up from GS 9 to GS 12 over a period of 6-7 years. I know about the military as a way to stand out for government jobs, but I have a cocktail of mental and physical disabilities and injuries that will make getting a medical waiver unlikely. I would be willing but unable to do anything physically strenous, but if I can get the right cocktail of medicines in my system, I will excel at something that uses my command over words and soft skills. Even with my depression and anxiety and adhd, I still am pretty alright at things that involve analysis, working with my mind, and working with other people's ideas. I already do therapy-type stuff for free for people, so I might as well get the government's blessing to charge for it (or better yet, allow me to provide it for free and be paid through taxes.)

What are some other things besides military that will make me stand out to work for the DOD or VA?

I won't say I'm insanely passionate about social work, but the good thing about it is that unlike most jobs, I'll both be physically capable of doing it and I probably won't hate it.

https://www.federalpay.org/gs/2017/louisiana#restofus

As you can see above, federal social work pays well, so thats what I'll focus on.

Last edited by Magic Qwan; 11-07-2017 at 12:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 12:17 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,294,659 times
Resumes should be about skills and accomplishments. What you've described above are essentially opinions about yourself. They may be 100% true, but anyone and everyone will say they are hardworking, analytical, natural leader, etc. What you need to do is list out what you've actually done so others will place those labels on you.

What is your actual background? Do you have a BA/BS? Experience?

Old 11-07-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Resumes should be about skills and accomplishments. What you've described above are essentially opinions about yourself. They may be 100% true, but anyone and everyone will say they are hardworking, analytical, natural leader, etc. What you need to do is list out what you've actually done so others will place those labels on you.

What is your actual background? Do you have a BA/BS? Experience?
I graduated in 2014, worked a summer as a snowcone salesman, then got 3 different jobs as a pharmacy technician, then got a Bachelors of General Studies in Humanities with a minor in sociology. I was originally a sociology major, but switched to education and didn't have enough time left to switch back and have my original major again, so I made it a minor and just took a bunch of wine tasting and art classes. I like creature comforts and buying the finer things in life for myself.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:30 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,799 times
Are you actually willing to consider the military? If so, you'll never know the chances of getting a medical waiver approved until you try. You're clearly cognizant of your conditions and situation, so you'd be going into it knowing you may be denied. My son had a fairly serious knee injury from high school football, and he was diagnosed with ADHD by his pediatrician and a neuropsychologist, but he swore into the army in February of last year.

My husband works in IT for the VA, and his veteran status definitely helped him. He merely had a phone interview and was hired. A good friend of mine was easily hired by the Feds after her stint in the Air Force. Meanwhile, I've tried to get on with the Feds, but I've never even gotten a phone call. I'm not a veteran.

I am a state auditor, and a colleague of mine (who is not a veteran) actually got hired on with the Feds. I believe she went to work for CMS. I think if there's a demand and you have a lot of experience, you have a chance as a non-veteran. Maybe try getting on with the IRS? They hire seasonally, so maybe you can go from temp to hire?

Much luck to you.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Are you actually willing to consider the military? If so, you'll never know the chances of getting a medical waiver approved until you try. You're clearly cognizant of your conditions and situation, so you'd be going into it knowing you may be denied. My son had a fairly serious knee injury from high school football, and he was diagnosed with ADHD by his pediatrician and a neuropsychologist, but he swore into the army in February of last year.

My husband works in IT for the VA, and his veteran status definitely helped him. He merely had a phone interview and was hired. A good friend of mine was easily hired by the Feds after her stint in the Air Force. Meanwhile, I've tried to get on with the Feds, but I've never even gotten a phone call. I'm not a veteran.

I am a state auditor, and a colleague of mine (who is not a veteran) actually got hired on with the Feds. I believe she went to work for CMS. I think if there's a demand and you have a lot of experience, you have a chance as a non-veteran. Maybe try getting on with the IRS? They hire seasonally, so maybe you can go from temp to hire?

Much luck to you.
Really? Ok, so if I drop 30 pounds, there may still be a chance?
cool

Old 11-08-2017, 10:46 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,067,991 times
So you graduated college at age 17 and have been a pharm tech for five years. If you have an ed degree and really want on with the Feds try DoD schools overseas. They need teachers.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
So you graduated college at age 17 and have been a pharm tech for five years. If you have an ed degree and really want on with the Feds try DoD schools overseas. They need teachers.
pharm tech yes, college is more recent. I took ed classes, but my degree is just general studies in liberal arts. Not the degree I wanted (I'm a science buff) but at least I have a bachelors rather than no bachelors, and it was free because of a scholarship. I'm good at academics and paperwork, unless college is just really dumbed down or something. The only reason I didn't get a 4.0 is my grandmother died and I neglected a few online tests, but I still made a 3.6 with almost no effort.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:59 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Really? Ok, so if I drop 30 pounds, there may still be a chance?
cool

If weight is one of the obstacles, then, yes, if you drop 30 pounds, you might qualify for a waiver. One of my son's friend lost close to 50 pounds to join. Again, this is all if you're seriously considering the military, but it sounds like the option really isn't a contender.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
If weight is one of the obstacles, then, yes, if you drop 30 pounds, you might qualify for a waiver. One of my son's friend lost close to 50 pounds to join. Again, this is all if you're seriously considering the military, but it sounds like the option really isn't a contender.
Its on the table, but I'd consider peace corp first. They have a VISTA ACQUIRE PROGRAM.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:35 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,140,801 times
Well if you want a Federal Social Worker job, this is where you should be looking:

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search/Resul...=social%20work

Money focused, cocktail of mental and physical disabilities, cocktail of medications necessary, depression, anxiety, adhd, overweight, fickle on majors, likes creature comforts, not passionate about social work, etc. etc.

Not sure why anyone would want to hire you unless they need a disability stat on the rolls but here you go.
Social workers I've known are pretty much the opposite of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment