Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 01:03 PM

359 posts, read 303,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
How much money would you actually end up with after moving to the new city, getting a car, and then moving back home 4 weeks later? Plus your living expenses for the month... it just doesn't sound like you'll come out ahead.
That's true. I've already spent time and money on my last trip there to attend the interviews including lodging, meals and 3 tanks of gas. If I return next week and stay there 5-7 days looking for suitable lodging plus have to return my dad's car to city A and finally return to city B by bus/train, that's another few hundred dollars. Then once I'm there a transit pass is actually rather pricey, more lodging, meals expenses, etc..will I break even after tax and deductions? A lot of time and money spent on a job that would be temporary anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 01:03 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,115,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaverde View Post
I didn't know this job required international travel until I asked for a clarification to an element in the offer letter. Had I known this during the interview process 2.5 weeks ago, I would have brought up the issue earlier and there's a good chance they would have eliminated me as a potential candidate.
You knew, you just decided to ignore the issue thinking it would just go away. The job listing said the job requires travel, and they asked if you had a passport. You don't need a passport to drive to the next town over, so the only real possibility was international travel by plane. If this was such s big concern, it should have been brought up sooner. During every interview, they ask if you have any questions. That would have been a good time to ask for clarification on what type of travel would be required. Most companies are not going to want you to take off a few days to drive somewhere.

Where were you thinking they were sending you since you say you don't even want to drive on highways?

Old 11-17-2017, 01:07 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,317,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
The OP could easily call her a local mental health clinic, and ask them to give her the names a few therapists who will work on sliding scale, she can explain that she is not working, and has no health insurance. There is help out there, she just needs to ask for it.
Yep.

Quote:
I didn't know this job required international travel until I asked for a clarification to an element in the offer letter. Had I known this during the interview process 2.5 weeks ago, I would have brought up the issue earlier and there's a good chance they would have eliminated me as a potential candidate. So really this is a last minute surprise. What I should have done is followed my gut and emailed the manager my questions yesterday and waited for his reply before sending any signed paperwork to him and HR. My dad advised me to send questions with the paperwork to show I was a "serious" candidate. Big mistake.

I just applied to the local company my dad suggested I apply to and that was mentioned earlier in this thread even though I don't have the certification exams done and it may require air travel (I asked them to clarify this before the interview). I was also upfront that I don't expect to do the exams for another 2 months as not to waste their time by having HR / the hiring manager contact me now.
Once again, you are focused on the wrong things.

CALL THEM TODAY and tell them you decline the job for personal reasons. PERIOD> the two-week thing is moot. TELL THEM TODAY.

You need general mental health therapy, not "fear of flying" sessions.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:10 PM

^^ To be fair, the travel component was buried in the job description and apparently it's either a one time thing or very occasional. The way it was worded was ambiguous but ok it's my fault for not spotting it earlier. Still, it's better that the issue comes to light now before I start rather than later with them announcing hey sedona, we're sending you to Chile to meet an important client ...and I'd be like ,"what? I thought this job was based in (city B)?...nope sorry, I can't do it, I'm a nervous flyer." Then there would be a fall out and the manager might fire me on the spot.

Anyway back on topic, I know everyone is telling me to call them to decline but is there a way to write something that would let me stall a bit more (hoping to hear back from another company)? As demonstrated yesterday, when under the gun with a looming deadline, I don't always make the most rational decision.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:13 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,115,866 times
Quote:
^^ To be fair, the travel component was buried in the job description
Next time, carefully read the job description of any job you are applying to so you don't waste everyone's time.

Quote:
Anyway back on topic, I know everyone is telling me to call them to decline but is there a way to write something that would let me stall a bit more (hoping to hear back from another company)? As demonstrated yesterday, when under the gun with a looming deadline, I don't always make the most rational decision.
Decline the job and stop wasting everyone's time.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:24 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,473,452 times
Quote:
SNIP

[b]Anyway back on topic, I know everyone is telling me to call them to decline but is there a way to write something that would let me stall a bit more (hoping to hear back from another company)?[b] As demonstrated yesterday, when under the gun with a looming deadline, I don't always make the most rational decision.
No. You need to call them NOW and tell them that you are dropping out of the process. Quit stalling, pull up your big girl pant and DO IT! You have GOT to quit these machinations - either it's a yes or it's a NO - no more stalling. It's not right and if you really p*** them off, your reputation could precede you later on. Just GROW UP!

Old 11-17-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

Decline the job and stop wasting everyone's time.
That would involve taking a risk and being back at square one with no job and no offer having to tie up all kinds of loose ends in city A. However the good thing would be that I can drive my dad's 2nd car for a little longer. The bad thing is that the hammer would come down and he'd get all for wasting money and time the past 3+ weeks on an opportunity that I'm throwing away.

It's a tough decision and that manager has been waiting since early this morning for my reply with another document...I wonder if he left early for the weekend? I'm probably too chicken to call him and HR so I will have to formulate something by email. Any suggestions on what to write?

Old 11-17-2017, 01:37 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,298,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAviaCA View Post
Given how your last job went, I would avoid jobs that are fast-paced and stressful.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...e-banging.html
Amen +1.

Between that and now the OP is "too chicken" to call a boss? Seriously?

Old 11-17-2017, 01:39 PM

603 posts, read 449,372 times
Pick up the phone. Call the hiring manager, inform him that unfortunately you won't be able to commit to the position. Thank him for his time. If he is out or away from his desk leave a message with the receptionist or his voicemail.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:42 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,211,571 times
Quote:
So. You still want to stall. Does that mean IF the other company doesn't come through with an offer, you fully intend to go full steam ahead, show up for training at the company we are discussing – minus your passport, not being willing to fly and hoping to weasel out of that requirement, yet ready to take advantage of their training and pay – and then bail after the training IF you make it through?

You may as well have written ::: la la la I can't [won't] hear you! :::

Virtually nothing has changed since Page 1.

Face it. You don't want advice.

I'll give you this: It takes some real talent on your part to continuously twist yourself like a pretzel to ignore the legitimately good advice you've been freely offered.

You don't want to "hear" it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment