Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2017, 07:23 AM

923 posts, read 526,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Federal minimum wage before taxes for a person working 40 hours a week, 4 weeks a month, pays that person $1160 per month. And it has absolutely nothing to do with living beyond your means. How is spending your whole paycheck on ONLY rent and utilities and using what's left over for groceries living beyond your means?
Since when was is a rule you can only work 40 hours a week? If that were a rule/law then I'd be done by Wednesday. lol

MW 40 hrs a week, can't make ends meet, living as cheap as possible, get another job. Most everyone I know has had to do that at some point in their life.

If you only want to work 40 hrs a week making MW and barely get by, that's fine if your happy. Free time is more important to some more than others. AND there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Someone also said something about people waiting in line to get checked out cause not enough MW employees, or something like that. That's not a "higher income" trait, it's a personality trait. Most call them a$$h0!es.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 07:43 AM

268 posts, read 282,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
Since when was is a rule you can only work 40 hours a week? If that were a rule/law then I'd be done by Wednesday. lol

MW 40 hrs a week, can't make ends meet, living as cheap as possible, get another job. Most everyone I know has had to do that at some point in their life.
If only it were that easy. I've been seeing jobs that pay only $1-$2 dollars more than minimum wage and require a bachelor's degree with experience.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:03 AM

923 posts, read 526,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
If only it were that easy. I've been seeing jobs that pay only $1-$2 dollars more than minimum wage and require a bachelor's degree with experience.
I know that this afternoon I could work 5 hours and make $100 easy. If I had a day's notice, I'd double that. Just by hand washing cars.

There is plenty of work out there for people who want to do it. 40 hours a week, there's another 40 hours of time to do work and still have time to relax.

I did it, my kids did it, and it was a town of 3,500.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:39 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
That's because college is the new high school. It does not necessarily guarantee you a "better" job than what a high school grad can get unless you're studying something hardcore like computer science, or solid state physics. My friend for example has a bachelors in psychology from a decent university and is stuck stocking shelves for $8 an hour at a local grocer.

Last edited by s1alker; 12-10-2017 at 08:54 AM..

Old 12-10-2017, 09:08 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just hanging out View Post
At minimum?

I'm curious.
If minimum wage was raised by $5 (which is about 50% what it is now), what about all those who are making $15 an hour now with college degrees in entry level specialized positions? They won't get a $7.50/hour raise. They will be making the same as those in positions that do not require special skills or education. Is this fair?
I'm very open to hearing differing opinions without getting into an argument.

What do you think YOU'RE worth?
I'd like this to be an open discussion with no attacks or party-blaming (dems/reps)

In the current economy at about $9-10 an hour as minimum wage, I'd say I'm probably worth $21 an hour.. With a specialized masters and a license to practice therapy. Second year out of school.
I dunno why do people think people who work full time should not be allowed to afford an apartment or feed there kids?

Old 12-10-2017, 09:18 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I dunno why do people think people who work full time should not be allowed to afford an apartment or feed there kids?
It has more to do with the COL and rent rising far quicker than wages than anything else.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:26 AM

268 posts, read 282,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
I know that this afternoon I could work 5 hours and make $100 easy. If I had a day's notice, I'd double that. Just by hand washing cars.

There is plenty of work out there for people who want to do it. 40 hours a week, there's another 40 hours of time to do work and still have time to relax.

I did it, my kids did it, and it was a town of 3,500.

Yea as if ppl are going to let some random guy wash their car, if its not for charity....good luck with that.

And trust me if anyone could make $100 dollars easily washing cars, why would they even work a minimum wage job that doesn't even pay $100 dollars a day. Get real.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:28 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
That's because college is the new high school. It does not necessarily guarantee you a "better" job than what a high school grad can get unless you're studying something hardcore like computer science, or solid state physics. My friend for example has a bachelors in psychology from a decent university and is stuck stocking shelves for $8 an hour at a local grocer.
This is a reflection on your friend moreso than the job market. Retail stockers don’t need a degree, and stores aren’t looking for a degree for cashiers and stockers.

It is true that more jobs require college degrees than in the past, but that is because many jobs have gotten more technical, and many of the easier jobs needling the least training have been automated or sent offshore.

There are many jobs that require a degree, and liberal arts degree holders have a better chance in the overall job market than people with a high school credential.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:34 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
It has more to do with the COL and rent rising far quicker than wages than anything else.
Whose fault is that certainly not working people. We need to restrain the greed of land lords and property owners.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:08 AM

17 posts, read 24,308 times
Look at this from a small business owner's point of view: Once minimum wage reaches $15 an hour, either I work more to offset the increase in payroll expense (thus cutting hours for my minimum wage workers) or I raise prices on the merchandise I sell, thus possibly losing customers who can't pay a higher price. Somebody is screwed either way.

Plus, the jobs I offer are not worth $15 an hour. Sorry! A cashier job is not worth $15. There is nothing special to know in my business except some product knowledge to assist customers in their product purchases.

I live in California and the housing market is way out of control. I realize people can't live on minimum wage. The 20-something year-olds that work for me still live at home with their parents for various reasons. There's no way they could live on their own on minimum wage. And $15/hr isn't going to solve the problem either. What needs to be done is to reduce the cost of living so that whatever the wage a worker is making, regardless of education level, it will support them. Affordable housing should be the priority.

I live next to a town where a lot of the houses are being sold at $800,000 and up. Trust me when I say some of these houses are not worth what they're being sold for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment