Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 07:57 AM

588 posts, read 463,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Would you be okay with an employer ranking you on a scale of 1 to 10 on your personal appearance. (Overall looks). Or should they rate you based on how you dress and present yourself only?
Only if it were for a sex-worker job.

Otherwise looks should not come into the ability to do the job. Just tell that to the companies, though. Looks always come out ahead especially if you are female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 08:20 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
I worked at an interior design firm and that was part of their evaluation process for employees whenever they did performance reviews.
Really? That's nuts. You mean interior decorators? Rated on personal appearance?

I can see if someone in contact with customers from the general public is expected to maintain certain dress, grooming, and cleanliness standards. But nose too big, eyes too squinty, buck teeth, jug ears, prominent Adam's apple, paunchy, balding, grey hair, as negative factors in a performance review? Run away.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:24 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Very weird for an interior design job. Rating your professional appearance (do you dress appropriately? Is your hair neat? Do you wear garish makeup?) is one thing, but your looks like "you could do with some braces and I think you'd be better as a blonde"? Super strange.

Employers/clients do judge you based on appearance, though. I work mostly remotely, and I make sure that my photos that go along with my social media and email accounts look a certain way.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:27 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
I worked at an interior design firm and that was part of their evaluation process for employees whenever they did performance reviews.
The only way I could see that looks would be relevant in such a job would be if the company is trying to cultivate high-end clients who care about their own looks and their surroundings. If you were trying to get a job doing interior design for the Kardashians, you might want someone who approximated their aesthetic because it seems important to them. First impressions are important and they might be less willing to hire someone who wasn't attractive.

I just used the Kardashians as an example of wealthy people who spend a lot of time thinking about how they look. I don't particularly think they're all that great looking.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:44 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
I think that's pretty much expected in modeling, but I wish it were different for actors. Some of the most talented actors are not textbook perfect in their looks.
As a child, I remember thinking that Barbra Streisand seemed very successful. Why didn't she get a nose job?

But as an adult, I appreciate individuality.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:04 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
I do look at my employees and base everything on their looks. But since I am the only employee in my company, I'm ok with that.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:03 PM

390 posts, read 379,928 times
Some of these responses are funny!

I've always been heavy but I dress neatly and am clean and orderly. I'm overweight- I'm not a pig and I'm not a sloth. Although I know for a fact I have been judged that way during interviews. I have a great job now for 7 years I pray to God I never have to interview again. At 52 AND overweight slim to no chance of being hired. My boss and coworkers love me for me.

I did have a boss at my last job who would say stuff like "You like your hair that way" or "You gonna leave your toes like that" and throw around some fat jokes but they were always real subtle. He was an a** of gigantic proportions. So glad I don't work there anymore.

The funny thing is I move faster around the office than a lot of skinny people LOL. Like when you're in the hallway and their shuffling along. That's irritating and I don't care if you are fat or skinny.

In a perfect world we would be judged on our merits not our looks but that's just not reality.

Last edited by annieosage; 12-01-2017 at 01:22 PM..

Old 12-01-2017, 03:01 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Some 30 years ago, I was a server in a very popular tourist bar and my manager told us if we were going to gain or lose 10 lbs or more we had to run it by Management. I remember laughing at the time as it was only a pt time job for some quick money.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:59 PM

510 posts, read 370,924 times
Quote:
Would you be okay with an employer ranking you on a scale of 1 to 10 on your personal appearance. (Overall looks). Or should they rate you based on how you dress and present yourself only?
Neither, only based on ability to do the job.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:26 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Two applicants with the same skills -- the more attractive one will get the job. Why wouldn't you make the best of what you've got to maximize your chances?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment