Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 01:12 PM

12,113 posts, read 23,338,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorriganStark View Post
It's not that simple. I work overnights, 11 PM to 7 AM. She frequently goes out to smoke, and on our door handle it can accidentally lock itself.
Which is why she should put a key in her pocket when she takes a smoke break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 09:40 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,909,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorriganStark View Post
Can someone please explain? I have a boss that seems to get stressed out very easily and will snap the second even the smallest thing causes an issue. For example, earlier today I was working and during our downtime got a text from my sister saying she had locked herself out of our apt (we live together), I told my boss I needed to go home which is barely 10 minutes away and she got upset over it and said "Fine!" as I got into my car my sister texted me saying she managed to open a window and I didn't need to go unlock the door. So I go back in and tell my boss I won't have to leave and despite thinking she'd be happy that I didn't have to leave she started yelling at me and chewing me out.

Admittedly she has always seemed high-strung and irritable and I said I was sorry and this was a false alarm but she still seemed really peeved. This isn't the first time I have seen her act this way towards me or a co-worker before either, nor is it the only boss I have ever had that acted this way. Bosses that seem as if they're on a warpath. I seriously don't get it though, why it takes hardly anything for some bosses to (excuse my french) get a stick up their ass over the smallest things especially when it ends up not being an issue.
I am a manager myself who worked as a non-manager, then a supervisor, and so on.

If your boss is a firstline supervisor, she is probably pressured between trying to please both upper management and the employees who work for her.

Some managers come out into the work area right after a nice "chew session" with the big boss. Unfortunately, not all of them subscribe to "the buck stops here" when it comes to the ass-chewing rolling downhill.

Your boss might be one of those people who was promoted up from an operative position and is simply unhappy/stressed/overwhelmed in her role. I generally like my role but as a boss you are responsible (in my case) for EVERYTHING that happens in the factory. You are not just responsible for your own actions; you are responsible for every good (and every sh*tty) choice or act that everyone else does. It was certainly a lot easier when I was a machinist and only had to worry about several machines and my own work

Yeah, she might also just be high-strung. Not everyone has an easy-going disposition or nerves of steel.

Unfortunately a lot of times, places will promote people based solely on technical skill and don't look at their people skills.

The best thing for you to do is try not to take her getting upset personally or let it bother you. Listen to the feedback but don't let it drag you down. There are a few great bosses out there, some good bosses, a lot of average bosses, some bad bosses, and a few downright crazy bosses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment