Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 12:10 AM

9 posts, read 15,716 times

Advertisements

Can someone please explain? I have a boss that seems to get stressed out very easily and will snap the second even the smallest thing causes an issue. For example, earlier today I was working and during our downtime got a text from my sister saying she had locked herself out of our apt (we live together), I told my boss I needed to go home which is barely 10 minutes away and she got upset over it and said "Fine!" as I got into my car my sister texted me saying she managed to open a window and I didn't need to go unlock the door. So I go back in and tell my boss I won't have to leave and despite thinking she'd be happy that I didn't have to leave she started yelling at me and chewing me out.

Admittedly she has always seemed high-strung and irritable and I said I was sorry and this was a false alarm but she still seemed really peeved. This isn't the first time I have seen her act this way towards me or a co-worker before either, nor is it the only boss I have ever had that acted this way. Bosses that seem as if they're on a warpath. I seriously don't get it though, why it takes hardly anything for some bosses to (excuse my french) get a stick up their ass over the smallest things especially when it ends up not being an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 12:34 AM

406 posts, read 624,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorriganStark View Post
Can someone please explain? I have a boss that seems to get stressed out very easily and will snap the second even the smallest thing causes an issue. For example, earlier today I was working and during our downtime got a text from my sister saying she had locked herself out of our apt (we live together), I told my boss I needed to go home which is barely 10 minutes away and she got upset over it and said "Fine!" as I got into my car my sister texted me saying she managed to open a window and I didn't need to go unlock the door. So I go back in and tell my boss I won't have to leave and despite thinking she'd be happy that I didn't have to leave she started yelling at me and chewing me out.

Admittedly she has always seemed high-strung and irritable and I said I was sorry and this was a false alarm but she still seemed really peeved. This isn't the first time I have seen her act this way towards me or a co-worker before either, nor is it the only boss I have ever had that acted this way. Bosses that seem as if they're on a warpath. I seriously don't get it though, why it takes hardly anything for some bosses to (excuse my french) get a stick up their ass over the smallest things especially when it ends up not being an issue.
The bolded part is most of your answer. Unhappy people at work (whether or not they are in the capacity of boss) will make others around them miserable. When a boss is allowed to continue this unprofessional behavior without interference from their higher ups, it is a very bad situation. Part of this person's personality is probably a bully and she enjoys the power to yell at those under her.

Sometimes it is the owner who acts like this and there is obviously nothing staff can do. I have also witnessed plenty of examples of business owners going on a rant to their customers without concern of the consequences to future revenue from that person or the bad reputation the outburst will bring.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:47 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,660,430 times
stress and pressure from upper mgmt.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:35 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
stress and pressure from upper mgmt.
Yep. Pressure to make $, both for the company and personally.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:45 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
I have seen middle management flip from calm to high strung, after the CEO is replaced. It's completely normal, since many guys ended up losing their jobs to the CEO's recruits from his last company.

If you think you have it bad in a non-management role, talk to the admin assistants of the SVPs and EVPs reporting to C-Level execs. It's much worse higher up.

I turn down promotions to avoid the monkey circus and Game of Thrones drama with the kings.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Depending on the work you do, even 10 minutes away can create a problem for the supervisor. My people can leave for 1/2 an hour with no problem because they are not answering calls from customers. They can make up the time later and get their work done. For a call center, or a customer service setting, people having to wait because someone is gone means the supervisor may have to take time from their work to cover for you or handle a complaint. That's still not a big deal, however, and the boss who flips out that way is usually one without training and experience in managing people, who was promoted because they were a good worker (or knew someone), rather than actually being qualified.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:14 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times
Why would anyone expect a boss to suck it up when employees choose to leave their jobs for 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes? Tell your sister you'll come home at lunch to let her in. If you're being paid to be on the job, for God's Sake, be on the job! It's really not too much to ask.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:14 PM

9 posts, read 15,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Why would anyone expect a boss to suck it up when employees choose to leave their jobs for 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes? Tell your sister you'll come home at lunch to let her in. If you're being paid to be on the job, for God's Sake, be on the job! It's really not too much to ask.
It's not that simple. I work overnights, 11 PM to 7 AM. She frequently goes out to smoke, and on our door handle it can accidentally lock itself.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:41 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Replace the door handle, problem solved.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:58 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
Someone already replied, but you answered your own question and admitted that your boss is high strung and easily irritable.

Anyway, some people just show their emotions really easily, like your boss. Others who are even-tempered never show any emotions. I know plenty of people who have both temperaments.

Besides, given she's your boss, she might have pressures that you don't know about and they're stressing her out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment