Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 08:04 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I wanted to, and yes I probably should have then, but I just bit my tongue and went on about my work.
If you really want to clarify the point about your sister's becoming a widow while pregnant, and you feel more protective in part because of that....then work it into some conversation in the future. But, don't let him know that you've taken issue with his heartless comment. Obviously he isn't a caring type guy so it isn't worth confronting him....or having to defend that you are protective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 08:12 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I work in a hospital. Our department is on the same floor as Maternal Child Health. The Labor and Delivery Department is down the hall from where I work.

I have seen families that spill out of the waiting room because so many people are here waiting for the birth of a new family member or friend of a family member.

I have seen couples walking the halls because maybe the mom to be is in labor but things have stalled. Many times this is just the couple and no other family around.

I have also seen single women alone and that is sad. I remember years ago a girl I knew, she was a lot younger than me. We had become friends outside of work. Her former boyfriend had dumped her after she got pregnant and her family dumped her because she had gotten pregnant outside of marriage. She was all alone.

I have seen a lot of single woman that were alone or only had a good friend to help them out. Many of these woman are single and the man in their life ditched them. I hate seeing that.

Some couples come in and don't call anyone, have the baby, and then call family members to come in. Some couples call everyone before they have the baby and want everyone in the delivery room that will fit.

One grand mother to be had a small dog that she said had to be in the delivery room with her. We noped the heck out of that. She kept telling us that the dog was a service dog and that she needed it if she passes out. Our RN's told me that if she past out in the hospital she would not need the dog. We have it covered. They actually left and went to the hospital up the street.

I have been called to delivery rooms where the RN's want the place cleared out. The only people that need to be in the room are the mom to be and the healthcare providers. No one else needs to be in the room. For some sick reason I love clearing a room out, not only in maternity but in all parts of the hospital. Most of the time it is because the people are not being respectful of the staff and other patient's and their family members. Realize when you go to the hospital your not in your own private world. You are sharing that world with many other people. Stay calm, cool, and collected and we will never have a problem.

The point is that some families and friends want to be there for every little detail of the birth. Some families don't want to be there. Some new moms want everyone there, some new moms don't want anyone there.

My wife is private. She never wanted anyone in the room. Since we work at the hospital we know the staff. We liked it that way. For others they want everyone in the world there and if we can we will accommodate those families.

I can understand the boss though. I for one will not show up at the hospital for any reason. I work there and know that the best thing is to stay out of the way of the healthcare providers. Let them do their work. With a birth there is nothing you can do at the hospital for the mom or the baby. That is just me though and my many years of experience working in a hospital.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:21 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Tone of voice and body language are a big part of how a comment is perceived, being as I wasn't there it's hard to say if you are just over sensitive or your boss is a jerk, I would just let it go at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment