Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2017, 02:55 PM

647 posts, read 1,523,397 times

Advertisements

I have a BS in Radio/Television/Film and I'm so close to going back to school for a second Bachelors in Accounting or Software Engineering because I'm just not making any money with an RTF degree. Anyone got any pointers for making more money with the useless degree? Or am I just better off getting a second Bachelors in something useful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 06:48 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
I have a BS in Radio/Television/Film and I'm so close to going back to school for a second Bachelors in Accounting or Software Engineering because I'm just not making any money with an RTF degree. Anyone got any pointers for making more money with the useless degree? Or am I just better off getting a second Bachelors in something useful?
Hmmm...a masters of social work may be better. you could work for the school system making 50k easy in a cheap part of the country

Old 12-26-2017, 06:58 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
What are you good at? Writing? Thinking? Calculating? Organizing? Something else?

Old 12-27-2017, 02:20 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times
Quote:
you need to branch out into other fields, mainly the internet is/has taken over everything RTF related. getting into pod-casting, making video, creating content, knowing this beast that is YouTube, along with other platforms like spotify or soundcloud is the future as we know it. streaming tv is also taking over satellite/cable subscribers. some noobies already have set up their own channels, you just have to find you way.

you can offer your services for a fee, or seek out talent to make your vision happen. recording as much content as you can, and keeping it going is what its all about. there has to be something out there, with your name written all over it.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:47 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
No such thing as a worthless degree. Only short sighted people.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:43 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
So, what did you plan to use the degree for when you signed up for it? You must have had some sort of plan.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:34 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Hmmm...a masters of social work may be better. you could work for the school system making 50k easy in a cheap part of the country

What school system? And no, a MSW doesn't mean you will start out in a cheap part of the country at 50K.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:01 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No such thing as a worthless degree. Only short sighted people.
I agree. Unless you are in a field that requires very specific technical knowledge, the degree isn't the determinant.

I know so many people who are working in a job different from what they majored in. What were you hoping to do after getting the degree you have?

Getting a second bachelors would be a huge waste of money. What is your work experience? You need to mine your network for another opportunity.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:16 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Quote:
I would say that in many cases - many companies don't care what your degree is in. I know folks who work in IT that had liberal arts degrees or folks in Marketing that had a mathematics degree.

However, you also need to be realistic. When I first got out of college, I had an essentially useless degree - Economics. Ended up working for minimum wage delivering computer parts and providing basic IT support. I did that for about 18 months (across three companies) before I actually got a salaried position for less than 25K (1996). Fast forward 20+ years, my last two positions was in executive management (CISO, CIO).

That first job may be hard because all you have may be your degree. And if you are looking to do something that isn't tied to your major, you may have to settle for a job that didn't require a degree to begin with. That doesn't mean your degree was a waste. That bachelors will still open doors for you later on. But be patient. Find opportunities to develop skills/accomplishments to pad your resume. Find out what is "needed" in a field that fits your personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment