Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 04:23 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,776,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Jesus Christ, you are NOT robots! I understand that perhaps you work and work and need quiet and concentration, but if you see people on the hallway, at the water cooler, in the elevator, on your way to lunch or someone in your family calls with an emergency - what do you do? Ignore each other? What are you? Slaves? And they are are the masters, hovering over you with a whip? What s__tty company is this? I've never heard of such a thing in my entire life!
It's a government job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 04:25 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,919,230 times
This is when u walk in and do the following.. and then slam your work on the ground and walk out.. and besure to grab your stapler.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:27 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,593,740 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPrSVkTRb24

Old 01-22-2018, 04:30 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,739,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
We are now expected not to speak to anyone else in our building, unless the conversation is strictly work-related. What makes it more complicated, is that if a supervisor discovers employees having a conversation about their kids, pets, love life, the weather, garden, movie they saw, etc., they must chastise the employee(s), and there are repercussions for this behavior. There is a counseling session, verbal and written warnings, and a couple of other steps before termination. That said, since it's a government job, termination is still rare.
What company do you work for? The policy makes it sound like the old days of Alctraz.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:41 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,177,274 times
Quote:
Some of you might remember a thread I started last year, "told not to speak to coworker, coworker still speaks to me." That situation has not improved, and my organization has chosen to implement an additional rule since several new employees were recently hired and the situation worsened soon afterward.

We are now expected not to speak to anyone else in our building, unless the conversation is strictly work-related. What makes it more complicated, is that if a supervisor discovers employees having a conversation about their kids, pets, love life, the weather, garden, movie they saw, etc., they must chastise the employee(s), and there are repercussions for this behavior. There is a counseling session, verbal and written warnings, and a couple of other steps before termination. That said, since it's a government job, termination is still rare.

So my question is how many of you have worked in an environment wherein you could not talk to anyone unless it was strictly work-related, and how did it work out for you? Are you still at that job?

One of my concerns is that we won't come off as a team and will be loath to help each other, since there is already a fair amount of hostility in the building and no one will be building on their professional relationships, I don't think, because talking is forbidden. We have a number of customers who have behavioral issues that present problems on a regular basis, for a few reasons. Some come into the building intoxicated and cause altercations, some suffer from mental illnesses that aren't well managed and verbally and physically attack other customers and staff, etc. I worry that if our staff is fractured, those customers who cause problems for us and other customers will be able to get away with more bad behaviors.
I worked in a place like that for a few months. Then left. Might as well be a galley slave. It's not worth it. Why do you stay?

Old 01-22-2018, 04:44 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,245,661 times
I have never heard of any place this restrictive. It must be insane not to even be able to greet a fellow employee, or visit during breaks. Must be low moral.

I hope that if you are choosing to look elsewhere that you find a better situation.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:52 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,145,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
What company do you work for? The policy makes it sound like the old days of Alctraz.
It's a public library. I'm glad everyone seems to agree that this isn't how to go about solving personnel issues. That said, I'd be curious to hear how someone who agrees with it feels it might be beneficial. I'm not interested in making friends at work, but still.

For all those who said I should quit, I'm looking for employment elsewhere. Been looking for a few months. Can't afford to quit without having something else lined up, so I'm trying to survive while I'm in this, as someone put it earlier in the thread.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:06 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,640,741 times
You seriously have to ask other people what we think of that?

Really?

You need us to tell you that the only appropriate action at this point is to set the building on fire and walk out the door? You work for lunatics.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:34 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,523,683 times
Is this librarian at 15:30 in this video the one running your library? https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x260y3u

Old 01-22-2018, 06:30 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,130,031 times
Quote:
Some of you might remember a thread I started last year, "told not to speak to coworker, coworker still speaks to me." That situation has not improved, and my organization has chosen to implement an additional rule since several new employees were recently hired and the situation worsened soon afterward.

So my question is how many of you have worked in an environment wherein you could not talk to anyone unless it was strictly work-related, and how did it work out for you? Are you still at that job?

One of my concerns is that we won't come off as a team and will be loath to help each other, since there is already a fair amount of hostility in the building and no one will be building on their professional relationships, I don't think, because talking is forbidden. We have a number of customers who have behavioral issues that present problems on a regular basis, for a few reasons. Some come into the building intoxicated and cause altercations, some suffer from mental illnesses that aren't well managed and verbally and physically attack other customers and staff, etc. I worry that if our staff is fractured, those customers who cause problems for us and other customers will be able to get away with more bad behaviors.
So sexual innuendo with the receptionist is a no?

Seriously, your workplace sounds like a movie! Do the supervisors have two little scars on the back of their necks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment