Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 01:14 AM

6 posts, read 3,780 times

Advertisements

I have a question on what to say on job applications when they ask for my reason for leaving a past job.

Back when I was a teenager, one of my first real jobs out of high school I was fired for my excessive use of texting while working (like any dumb teenager). I'm now 27 and have obviously learned from that and have held other jobs for many years without issues.

I normally just put down that I left the company on my own, but in the future I wonder if a potential employer could investigate and find out that I lied.

Would anyone even call up an employer from 8 years ago to find out why I left the company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 01:50 AM

62 posts, read 107,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm91 View Post
Would anyone even call up an employer from 8 years ago to find out why I left the company?
Even if they did, no one is going to care that you got fired from Mom and Pop's pizza shop when you were a kid. You shouldn't even list a job like on your current resume at age 27, so omit it if you haven't already.

While an employer can legally disclose the details of while you left, many employers today only disclose dates of employments, job title, and salary information typically to minimize the risk of possible lawsuits. If you're ever unsure, it's best to contact the previous employer to inquire what information they will disclose about you in the event of reference checks and background checks.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:36 AM

9,502 posts, read 8,500,469 times
I *ALWAYS* state "Left for another opportunity" or "Opportunity arose with XYZ Company"..........it puts a somewhat positive spin on things and doesn't cause a red flag, which is what they are looking for.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:43 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,108,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnroc View Post
Even if they did, no one is going to care that you got fired from Mom and Pop's pizza shop when you were a kid. You shouldn't even list a job like on your current resume at age 27, so omit it if you haven't already.
Exactly this. Plus, it is unlikely that anybody who works there remembers you.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:01 AM

199 posts, read 166,556 times
If the job is from when you were a teenager, around a decade ago since you are 27, it doesn't belong on your resume. Therefore, you shouldn't have to explain anything.

As far as answering the "why are you leaving this job" question in general, if the new job is local, I say that I want more room for advancement than what my current job offers. If the new job is in a different city, I always say that I have family there. Conduct a little research about the layout of the city, including suburbs, in case they decide to question you about your family's whereabouts. That happened to me once.

NEVER say that you are leaving because of a nasty supervisor or because you hate your coworkers, even though it very well may be the truth.

Unfortunately, the interviewing game is all about BSing your way into a job. That's just how it is.

Last edited by whateverblahblah; 01-31-2018 at 07:12 AM..

Old 01-31-2018, 07:28 AM

11,578 posts, read 6,780,941 times
Could be wrong but employers typically can’t and won’t disclose why you left. They can say however if you can be rehired. At any rate, if asked I always say I left to pursue a better opportunity.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:38 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,130,150 times
I left my one and only fulltime job working for an employer due to harassment and difficulty getting my project work up to speed. Not helped with an indifferent manager and sexism in the datacentre where I worked.

I do go to HR, but they just filed my complaint and didn't do jack with it. So i resigned, and put in my "exit" questionnaire for leaving "sexism, harassment, no communication, poor management". Again, HR didn't get back to me on those allegations!

I then went self-employed as an IT consultant, and haven't looked back since

Old 01-31-2018, 07:40 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,484,162 times
Don't list a job from when you were a kid that's not relevant to your current job search. I'm guessing you're not looking for the same types of jobs that you worked when you were a teenager. So that experience is not relevant to your job search now.

Otherwise, I usually list something generic like "looking for new opportunities for career advancement". In most of my cases, that's not far from the truth.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:44 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,108,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Could be wrong but employers typically can’t and won’t disclose why you left. They can say however if you can be rehired. At any rate, if asked I always say I left to pursue a better opportunity.
Yes, you are wrong. Employers CAN give all sorts of information about your employment with them. While it is true that many will not, many will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment