Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 08:52 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,671,635 times

Advertisements

I can't remember when was the last time someone asked why I left a previous job. I think everyone knows you're going to get a meaningless answer, so why ask?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 08:56 AM

199 posts, read 166,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I can't remember when was the last time someone asked why I left a previous job. I think everyone knows you're going to get a meaningless answer, so why ask?
It's similar to "why do you want to work here?" Nobody answers that honestly.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:02 AM

51 posts, read 51,338 times
"voluntary resignation"

Old 01-31-2018, 09:39 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,313,779 times
If you are 27, I wouldn't put anything not related to the job you are trying to get.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:43 AM

9,446 posts, read 8,425,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
You could say the same thing about a lot of those stupid questions on an application.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:26 AM

1,166 posts, read 879,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post

Unfortunately, the interviewing game is all about BSing your way into a job. That's just how it is.
This.

People would rather get a smooth talking BS answer than the truth, employers are no different! They'd rather be feed a line of crap that sounds good than for you to be honest.

Same reason when a salesman gets asked a question they don't know the answer to, they'll make up a BS answer on the spot to make themselves look good rather than admitting the truth or saying "I don't know"!

Basically, the world runs on BS and you have to learn to "play the game" if you want to get ahead.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:57 AM

2,999 posts, read 3,114,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Exactly this. Plus, it is unlikely that anybody who works there remembers you.
It's also unlikely that most of them still work there anyway, so it's not like they can call them for a reference regardless.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:10 PM

2,999 posts, read 3,114,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Yes, you are wrong. Employers CAN give all sorts of information about your employment with them. While it is true that many will not, many will.
Yep. I had a spiteful, bitter current employer straight up tell me to my face once that another employer who I applied with called her for a reference, and that she gave me a terrible reference to keep me from getting the job. And this was after she had told me that she was not renewing my contract at year's end, so it's not like she didn't know I wasn't looking for a new job with a different company anyway. She was just straight up EVIL, and was stupid and vile enough to ADMIT to me that she was keeping me from getting jobs with other companies, too.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:41 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,517,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm91 View Post
I have a question on what to say on job applications when they ask for my reason for leaving a past job.

Back when I was a teenager, one of my first real jobs out of high school I was fired for my excessive use of texting while working (like any dumb teenager). I'm now 27 and have obviously learned from that and have held other jobs for many years without issues.

I normally just put down that I left the company on my own, but in the future I wonder if a potential employer could investigate and find out that I lied.

Would anyone even call up an employer from 8 years ago to find out why I left the company?
yes, they would call to verify employment and references. why you left is not a question.

The reason I always given was to pursue other opportunities. I'm a software engineer and I would say things like "I want to do e-commerce." or learning a new skill that was not possible where I worked... You get the idea... say something that is amicable, it is not the fault of the employer you are leaving from and make it sound like you want to better yourself.

Always, always, always leave in good terms and leave an open door. you don't know how things will go in the new job or when you will need a referral.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:26 PM

5,003 posts, read 2,733,613 times
Default Disgruntled Employers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
Yep. I had a spiteful, bitter current employer straight up tell me to my face once that another employer who I applied with called her for a reference, and that she gave me a terrible reference to keep me from getting the job. And this was after she had told me that she was not renewing my contract at year's end, so it's not like she didn't know I wasn't looking for a new job with a different company anyway. She was just straight up EVIL, and was stupid and vile enough to ADMIT to me that she was keeping me from getting jobs j7with other companies, too.
Should not use her as a reference. Many employers though cannot trust former employers of their job candidates because of this. This is called the "disgruntled former employer syndrome". Many employers will give false information out of spite and thus are dubious sources of information to companies who are hiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment