Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 09:47 AM

18 posts, read 37,507 times

Advertisements

You may also want to find out if you can collect ANY portion of you're pension while still working. (Your current job or otherwise)
You mentioned you would like to work well into old age. A lot of pension funds won't pay benefits until you're completely retired.
"Subsidizing second careers" they call it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 09:52 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I can't take a temporary leave of absence, but I have a pretty good vacation package, I started with 4 weeks a year of vacation time and I now get 6 weeks of vacation time a year. I'm going to use it much more wisely this year, I used much of it last year to work on my home and I feel like I never took a vacation at all last year. These little things add up over time and I realized I am not taking time off for work this year, for sure, and hopefully never again.
Not taking vacations that are actual vacations will make things worse. Take vacations, travel. Do something every single year so that you have something to look forward to. The last 5 or 6 years my husband worked (and he too was counting down to early retirement) we took several trips to Europe and places in the United States. We planned them almost as soon as we got back from one. It was great to look forward to and anticipate. You have six weeks, use at least half of it for a real planned vacation. That leaves the remaining 3 weeks to do home stuff or just travel locally.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:00 AM

199 posts, read 165,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Not taking vacations that are actual vacations will make things worse. Take vacations, travel. Do something every single year so that you have something to look forward to. The last 5 or 6 years my husband worked (and he too was counting down to early retirement) we took several trips to Europe and places in the United States. We planned them almost as soon as we got back from one. It was great to look forward to and anticipate. You have six weeks, use at least half of it for a real planned vacation. That leaves the remaining 3 weeks to do home stuff or just travel locally.
Yeah, I travel overseas every single year and have been doing that for about a decade. I've been all over Asia and Europe. A lot of people think of vacations as a waste of money. I sure don't. Travelling abroad makes life interesting.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:15 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post

Great advice and something I need to do.... I haven't taken an out of town vacation in probably four years.... and heck, even home recuperating from hip replacement, I worked every dadgum day.......

and OP..... In my mind, the health benefits ALONE would make the five remaining years doable....

Old 01-28-2018, 12:29 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Lots of excellent advice, this thread is a great resource for those who would consider leaving their work and sacrificing guaranteed money with only 5 years to go. I seriously considered leaving now, and basically was willing to ignore the financial costs in favor of the change of pace and excitement of a new career. The reasons for me willing to sacrifice is largely a result of my age, and the "now or never" trade-off based on my age.

However, the knowledge of what I left behind could likely cause me more grief than a life change would bring me joy, especially if some expensive, calamitous health issue were to arise before I turned 65. It's up to me to find a more healthy work-life balance, as most of you have stressed.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:17 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Lots of excellent advice, this thread is a great resource for those who would consider leaving their work and sacrificing guaranteed money with only 5 years to go. I seriously considered leaving now, and basically was willing to ignore the financial costs in favor of the change of pace and excitement of a new career. The reasons for me willing to sacrifice is largely a result of my age, and the "now or never" trade-off based on my age.

However, the knowledge of what I left behind could likely cause me more grief than a life change would bring me joy, especially if some expensive, calamitous health issue were to arise before I turned 65. It's up to me to find a more healthy work-life balance, as most of you have stressed.
Good.

Also, find a way to be happier at work, too. Focus on the more positive aspects, try to tweak your job duties a bit, see about changing your work hours, remember that you like some of your co-workers. There are good things about every work situation.

56 is not too old to change vocations. I changed jobs at 58.

You wouldn't be thinking about it, if you didn't have the $500k saved up. Try to remember how lucky you are to have the pension and health insurance. What a waste it would be to throw it away.

Five years: You'll have $700k saved up (if invested), pension locked in, health ins for a reasonable rate locked in. You'll be able to do anything you want. And 56 is YOUNG by today's standards.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:23 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
in favor of the change of pace and excitement of a new career
going to mention this again, why not take a demotion?

why can you not change careers while staying with same employer?

Old 01-28-2018, 01:42 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,258,290 times
You should be 100% vested in your pension after five years. If you choose to leave, which you definitely should not, you must freeze your pension before severing your employment.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:50 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
going to mention this again, why not take a demotion?

why can you not change careers while staying with same employer?
Taking a demotion is not an option. I'm not going to take a pay cut because that will not make my job more enjoyable, it will make it less enjoyable. I'm only there for 2 reasons, the pay, and the medical insurance. Being paid less, as well as knowing I transferred to a lower paying position, will make me feel terrible, as well as less financially secure.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:42 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Don't forget to set aside savings outside your 401K to supplement that pension until age 59 1/2 if you don't work, volunteer, etc.

I skipped to the end so apologies if this has been covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment