Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 02:21 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,712,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Cheaper.

Overwhelmingly, when I have asked bosses/managers this question (not with me as their underling, but as a matter of interest), that's what the reason has been.
Agree. It is all about cheapness. Not quality. Not excellence. Take a hit to the bottom line? That's ok too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 02:27 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Health care is the big one. The older the employee pool, the higher the group insurance. Since most employers pay a large chunk of the insurance premium, they're very aware that hiring an older worker can cost them more in extra insurance premiums for all employees than the salary of the older employee they just hired.
Yes that is true. And if we had universal health care, that would disappear.

But also big is that older people are much more difficult to fire or lay off. Employers hate age discrimination suits. They want to be able to get rid of employees if they want or need to.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:51 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Yes that is true. And if we had universal health care, that would disappear.

But also big is that older people are much more difficult to fire or lay off. Employers hate age discrimination suits. They want to be able to get rid of employees if they want or need to.
But if they don't hire old people, then they are age discriminating anyway and liable. I think age discrimination being because of healthcare or discrimination lawsuits is a red herring.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:13 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
Plenty of older workers are willing to work for less money as they get older. The whole cheaper thing is just an excuse.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:24 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Plenty of older workers are willing to work for less money as they get older. The whole cheaper thing is just an excuse.
This. The job is paid what the job is paid regardless of the age of the person in it.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:47 PM

I think it's pretty clear people just don't like old people mainly because they're not as cute and sexy as when younger.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
But if they don't hire old people, then they are age discriminating anyway and liable. I think age discrimination being because of healthcare or discrimination lawsuits is a red herring.
That is irrelevant and no way it could be proved that you were not hired because of your age. Doubt any attorney would even take it on. It is not a red herring. Corporations think this way.

If you fire an employee over 50 and there is not a good reason (or even if there is), they can sue for age discrimination. Most attorneys take those cases on a contingency basis, so they get a percentage, but don't necessarily charge on a regular fee basis. Person suing has no reason not to sue, and is fully within their rights to sue. The only reason someone would not is if they are trying to get a job in the same field and it would prevent that.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:03 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
If you fire an employee over 50 and there is not a good reason (or even if there is), they can sue for age discrimination. Most attorneys take those cases on a contingency basis, so they get a percentage, but don't necessarily charge on a regular fee basis.
It is excessively hard to prove age discrimination so much so that I would say it doesn't exist any longer as a remedy. Even if they replace you with a younger employee that doesn't per se do it. Tons of people do not understand this and pay the price for it.

I think it might be a better thing if there was a movement to encourage everyone to plan into their career the fact that they are on borrowed time after 50 and plan accordingly. Instead people don't think about it, think they will work to 70 with pay raises all the way and when they get let go, SUE, which probably won't get them anything anyway.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
It is excessively hard to prove age discrimination so much so that I would say it doesn't exist any longer as a remedy. Even if they replace you with a younger employee that doesn't per se do it. Tons of people do not understand this and pay the price for it.

I think it might be a better thing if there was a movement to encourage everyone to plan into their career the fact that they are on borrowed time after 50 and plan accordingly. Instead people don't think about it, think they will work to 70 with pay raises all the way and when they get let go, SUE, which probably won't get them anything anyway.
I strongly disagree. I have worked in the legal field, and it does pay. I know of many companies that 'settled' age discrimination suits just to make them go away. Offering someone $10k to drop their case works for an older person who needs it, and it is better than nothing. It doesn't hurt the companies to pay off someone for 10k.

Good luck with a 'movement.'

https://www.aarp.org/work/working-at...wsuits-fd.html

Old 01-30-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
That is irrelevant and no way it could be proved that you were not hired because of your age. Doubt any attorney would even take it on. It is not a red herring. Corporations think this way.

If you fire an employee over 50 and there is not a good reason (or even if there is), they can sue for age discrimination. Most attorneys take those cases on a contingency basis, so they get a percentage, but don't necessarily charge on a regular fee basis. Person suing has no reason not to sue, and is fully within their rights to sue. The only reason someone would not is if they are trying to get a job in the same field and it would prevent that.
By that reasoning you couldn't prove discrimination in hiring based on any protected classes .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment