Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 11:27 AM

625 posts, read 952,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
I accepted a position a month ago and cannot stand it. This is the first job I've ever had where I am not understanding what I'm supposed to be doing. My boss is "training" me, but he isn't the best communicator and kind of seems like he doesn't care if I learn the job or not. I'm almost beginning to wonder if they just brought me in to clean up the database and are going to get rid of me once I'm done with that. He made a joke the other day about me typing up notes for the position and then said, "When that's done, then I'll get someone else in here to do the job." I looked at him and said, "That thought did cross my mind." He said he was just kidding around.

Problem is trying to go on interviews when you just started at a new job. Plus, there are things that they did not tell me during the interview such as having to travel every quarter out of state for the sales meetings. That would have been something nice to know! What if I were a single mom who cannot travel? I'm not, but they didn't know that at the time.

It's really upsetting to me because over the last 10 years, I've felt that companies are not entirely honest with you about what you're going to be doing in the job. Or maybe I need to ask more questions!

I guess I'm just going to think of this as a temp job and pretend as if I'm on a three month assignment. Maybe I'll do the bare minimum and purposely screw up so they will get rid of me. Sheesh, this is frustrating! Never ever have I thought about purposely screwing up so that a company will let me go.

If you think you are frustrated, imagine working at a job where you are 3 months behind in paychecks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 12:13 PM

334 posts, read 221,497 times
What???? Three months behind in paychecks and you are still working there? Why? My mom quit a job that didn't pay her for a few weeks and was able to get unemployment because they said that was grounds for her walking out.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I can relate. However, the problem is I know what I am doing. You would think working hard and being competent are good things. No, it just means we will dump it on Goodlife. I do not know whether I am coming or going.

I have been working in hell for 1.5 years. It just gets worse and worse. I have an exit strategy but I do not know if I will make it.
Good Life, I am sorry to hear that. 1.5 years? Dear Lord. I do not think....scratch that....I KNOW I could not make it 1.5 years at this job.

What is your exit strategy?

Old 02-19-2018, 02:59 PM

UPDATE: HR called to tell me that they are letting me go and will pay me for the rest of the week and will not contest my unemployment claim.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:02 PM

716 posts, read 557,637 times
Hope everything works out for you, Flexy.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:09 PM

625 posts, read 952,600 times
Quote:
UPDATE: HR called to tell me that they are letting me go and will pay me for the rest of the week and will not contest my unemployment claim.

Hopefully, you can successfully apply for unemployment. Good luck to you.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:52 PM

I have an interview on Wednesday for a job that I HOPE will be ideal for me. Very good company and in a nice location.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:52 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I had a job that promised but didn't delivered. Just like they can jettison you at a whim, go hunting again and jettison them.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:53 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,258,290 times
Quote:
Late to this thread and likely the OP won’t even see this, but if you do I’d like to ask one question. Why on earth did you not request a sit down mtg with your supervisor and tell him in detail how you were feeling? If you were as miserable as you claimed to be,why would you not want to address the root cause(s) of the problem? This just doesn’t make sense to me. You literally made yourself sick over this job, and for what? If you weren’t concerned enough to speak with your supervisor why didn’t you just quit on the spot? A temp job would be better than one where you can’t stand to go to!

Old 02-19-2018, 10:24 PM

62 posts, read 106,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Late to this thread and likely the OP won’t even see this, but if you do I’d like to ask one question. Why on earth did you not request a sit down mtg with your supervisor and tell him in detail how you were feeling? If you were as miserable as you claimed to be,why would you not want to address the root cause(s) of the problem? This just doesn’t make sense to me. You literally made yourself sick over this job, and for what? If you weren’t concerned enough to speak with your supervisor why didn’t you just quit on the spot? A temp job would be better than one where you can’t stand to go to!
If you quit then you don't qualify for unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment