Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 09:49 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,083,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Why do waiters get tips but bank tellers don't?
Now how would that look to someone reviewing the security tapes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Are waiters paid $2.13/hr? Which state /city?
Some get paid nothing, and work only for tips, it just depends on how well the customer base is known to tip. Bussers should get at least minimum wage. Chefs and other employees that get minimum wage or better should not be getting a share of the tips.

I might tip the chef if he is so good that I am walking out of there with $500 in cash tips nightly.

Overall, it depends on the policy of restaurant. I don't personally like to have all the tips put in jar and then split amongst all wait staff after a shift is done. It does nothing to encourage individuals to give their best service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
If a customer gave the tip in cash how would management even know about it?
When I waited tables, we had to fill out and submit a tip sheet nightly for places that paid less than minimum wage. They needed that to prove they were meeting the minimum wage requirement. For places that paid minimum wage, or nothing at all, it wasn't a requirement.

No one is going to keep waiting tables if they aren't making any money, so management has a clue if you keep showing up for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 10:08 AM

973 posts, read 915,539 times
I know that some places pool their tips and splits it among everyone, but on a tiered system, so certain positions garnered more of the pooled tip than others.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:19 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
I tipped busboys, cooks, etc because I made much more than them, and I was dependent on them doing their job well for me to get my tips. It also helped not create any illwill.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:20 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
It varies establishment to establishment and state to state.

In CA, I got minimum wage which was $7.50 at the time, plus tips. No sharing of tips.

In UT, at a very high-end resort, the law was $2.13 an hour and we had to share 20% with hostesses and busboys, BOTH were making $13.00 so that seemed unfair. At least 80% of tips were through credit cards so came on our paycheck, with the deductions already made.

Some places required sharing with cooks and dishwashers....it never ends.

Make the server underwrite the rest of the business's labor. Right. Many customers would ask, "Now are YOU going to get this, or who do you have to share with?" while handing me some cash.

The worst part was having to do HOURS of janitorial work at $2.13 an hour. Talk about exploitation.
(Not in CA, but in the red states)

It's a very corrupt business and getting worse. Glad I'm out! Reporting to DOL is useless.
Your post, and this whole, thread in general, reminds me why I hate the tipping culture in the US. Employers should pay every employee their full wages (whatever the market determines that to be), and tipping should be reserved for those rarities when an employee truly goes above and beyond and knocks my socks off! (And that could be any kind of employee, not just waitstaff).

Here's an example:
One night after a late flight (midnight), the airport shuttle driver went wayyy above and beyond. I was a female traveling alone, so he didn't just drop me off at the parking lot shuttle stop, he drove me exactly to my car, he put my bags in my trunk, and he didn't drive away until I had started my car and began to drive away. I gave him a great tip after he put my bags in my trunk, and I have never forgotten how I appreciated his concern for my safety.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:29 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Some get paid nothing, and work only for tips, it just depends on how well the customer base is known to tip. Bussers should get at least minimum wage. Chefs and other employees that get minimum wage or better should not be getting a share of the tips.

That's illegal. They should be making at least the federal minimum $2.13 regardless of how good the tips are. I would guess there is something else going on in those cases - undocumented workers, perhaps, or others who want to work off the books and keep all the cash and not pay taxes.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:38 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Sharing tips was pretty normal for most of the restaurants I worked at but the tips only went to mgt, wait staff, bus people and the food runners.

As for why - well that should be obvious - everyone is jealous of how much money these customer facing personnel can (and sometimes do) make. The corporate environment is similar in that Sales in certain industries (like software) make huge commissions on sales.

If you want tips/commissions then go into service or sales.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:17 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,083,450 times
Does mgt mean management? If so, that's outrageous! How greedy can they get! Freakin' vultures!

Old 02-22-2018, 12:45 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
That's illegal. They should be making at least the federal minimum $2.13 regardless of how good the tips are. I would guess there is something else going on in those cases - undocumented workers, perhaps, or others who want to work off the books and keep all the cash and not pay taxes.
Restaurants have ways of exploiting others to work waiting tables, for no pay. Believe it or not.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:47 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
As for why - well that should be obvious - everyone is jealous of how much money these customer facing personnel can (and sometimes do) make. The corporate environment is similar in that Sales in certain industries (like software) make huge commissions on sales. .
Waiters tend to only make big tips at nice restaurants, like 4 and 5 star. But other servers elsewhere don't get the big tips. They often get nickels and dimes.

There is also the problem of servers who boast about getting really big tips, when they don't. But this makes others in the restaurant business want a piece of the action, as they see it.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:43 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Waiters tend to only make big tips at nice restaurants, like 4 and 5 star. But other servers elsewhere don't get the big tips. They often get nickels and dimes.

There is also the problem of servers who boast about getting really big tips, when they don't. But this makes others in the restaurant business want a piece of the action, as they see it.
Which is why I feel they should do away with tipping and pay them a standard wage like everyone else. It doesn't make sense to keep an archaic system just for the few who are making well off on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment