Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 07:21 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times

Advertisements

I handle mortgages and I frequently have buyers moving to a new location for a job. It's done all the time. BUT, the job must be one that the job seeker is well or better qualified for. Employer HR departments can spout the exact percentage of accepted job offers that fail to come through without a move. Add a layer of moving 300 miles or more, I'm willing to bet that increases fallout substantially.

The employer has the job, they set the requirements. The greater the skill, the narrower the field of applicants.

The idea of finding a local address to use makes the best sense. You could say you are in the process of finishing up your move. That way, if they call you to come in and you are in the other city, it's an easy explanation why you can't be there at the drop of a dime. But the one thing you must avoid is adding any hint of guilt trip that you are flying in for the interview. That doesn't impress, it just adds a pressure that needn't be present. If you can't afford to fly or take time off to drive, your expectations are unrealistic unless you are in a narrow pool of applicants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 07:38 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,152,762 times
I have done it more than once, and was fully relocated. This was in the 2006-2008 time frame, though. The market is apparently different now. I also think I was in a somewhat "niche" field since back then I usually had multiple job offers and had recruiters contacting me.

As an aside, I am curious why anyone would want to move to Dallas from Denver. My brother did the opposite move and was so happy to get out of flat, brown Dallas.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:58 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
I have done it three times. Once with no relocation allowance, once with partial, and once with full.

I have changed career fields since, but I was a well respected professional in a niche field.

Working in a college, we frequently interview people from other cities. Faculty are almost always hired from outside our area, and senior managers are from other areas about half the time. We have hired junior managers or professionals from outside the area a few times, although we won’t pay for relocation in those cases.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:06 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times
I applied for a job I was well qualified for in a city over 200 miles away. I was asked to come in for an interview the next day at 8 a.m., which meant I had to be on the road by 4 a.m. To drive all the way there and get there in time. I'm sure they knew that and that was probably part of the reason that I ended up getting hired, I wanted the job.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:38 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildSpark View Post
That's the thing, I'm not looking for a company to pay for my move, just hire me!
Bottom line is that you need to have some unique capability to be hired from a distance.
Even from a close distance you need something more than those already there.

Quote:
No thanks to podunk areas for me.
Good. The podunk people don't want you there.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:43 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildSpark View Post
That's the thing, I'm not looking for a company to pay for my move, just hire me! I hear of all the people on CD saying to line up a job before you move, but this is unrealistic. No thanks to podunk areas for me.
I hear ya. Perhaps your cover letter should say that you're moving to the area and that you are not looking for a relo package.

I seem to recall looking for work in the NC Research triangle area and they were only interested in local candidates. I think they were not looking to add to the extra growth or at least give a local a chance.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:56 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,891 times
While technically still living in Tejas, I found a job all the way where I am now living. I packed up my car with my clothes and some recreational things, and headed NE. I eventually found a place to live, drove back to Tejas once my lease was on its final month, and made the final move. It's doable but will require the new employer to be very understandable and flexible.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:17 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times
I decided to start looking when I move. It is not ideal but what can I do. I've identified where I am going to live. Hopefully, I can temp to earn some cash while I search for the right opportunity.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:44 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
It is not ideal but what can I do.
You can do what you've been advised to any number of times...
even if it isn't what you want/need to believe you need to do.

Quote:
Hopefully, I can temp to earn some cash while I search for the right opportunity.
Hopefully? That get by job is the CORE of any responsible relocation plan.
Don't expect to spend down the reserve fund... expect to replenish it and even expand it there.

Quote:
I've identified where I am going to live.
That's the first step... when do you arrive there?

Old 02-24-2018, 03:02 PM

220 posts, read 145,487 times
I don't understand why folks are having this problem of residence. I was solicited for a position back east when I was in Iowa. Once there, I had offers from California a year or so later. Two of my three daughters have been asked to apply to some firms and have sent resumes to others in various states and have both relocated a time or two over the years. Never has residency been mentioned, only discussion of paying moving expenses.

I suspect the problem is the skill levels involved. But that's merely speculation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment