Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 09:08 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,130,365 times

Advertisements

I went from Denver to Las Vegas, Las Vegas to Texas, Texas to Denver again all hired while out of state. The only one that gave relocation expenses was the move from Vegas to Texas...these were all different companies BTW. I did'nt find it difficult at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 10:02 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,415,227 times
I have an advanced academic degree in a liberal arts field (linguistic anthropology).

If I want to move to another state, my plan is to buy a van and live in it, using a family member or friend's local address, while applying for jobs.

At least I have the flexibility to do that. If you have a family, good luck. I can see how it's frustrating when political talking heads say "If the economy is bad, you have to be willing to move." Well, sure, if you are willing to put your school aged kids through homelessness and eating from trash cans.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:05 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,938,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Not really, not unless you're lucky (managed to score the right internships) or if you are the children of elites. Otherwise, probably not. You'd have to move to the other city first, which is kind hard if you don't have a job lined up there.
I know, nobody can get a job or make any money.

Meanwhile, I drive around and see mile after mile of million dollar houses, fully occupied.

Old 02-25-2018, 02:15 AM

5,512 posts, read 4,489,472 times
People typically are NOT doing this with low skill jobs, but then, ya never know. There are places that do need people, they have a hard time attracting the right talent, and they may have a list of requirements that really puts the ball in your court (e.g. need certifications, education, background checks, professional licensing, drug tests, security clearances, they kind of low ball hires, etc.). They may be very willing to hire you since they just don't have the local talent to draw upon..
Hell, this was last decade, but a HM didn't even know I drove in from out of state to the in-person interview until towards the end of the interview!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
A move can involve selling your house, pulling your kids out of school, moving expenses, your spouse also needing to find a new job, packing everything up, and then staying at a motel for a while if you don't have connections. Employers don't want to wait a month for someone to move, only to find out it isn't going to happen.

Unless you're in a niche or really out-of-demand field, or the job market is bad, I don't see the point of having a job lined up before moving. You do need to have cash and/or a place to stay.
Many HM won't know if you're single, have no kids, nor don't have a house to sell, but furthermore, some of them are unwilling to ask this sort of thing as well, as it can trespass certain "lines".

Old 02-25-2018, 03:29 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,497,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
That is tough. I have a rough idea what will be open at that time, but I don’t know for sure, and until I get resignation/retirement paperwork from my existing employees, I can’t post openings. I probably won’t get that turnover info until June or July.

My fiscal year doesn’t start until July, so if I have new positions funded, I cannot post them until my budget is finalized in May/June.

February is too early to look for August positions, at least for my company
Yes, it is difficult to time the market. Who knows? The earliest I can start looking is July 31st. I will have my new address by then.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:13 AM

6,886 posts, read 7,917,714 times
I got a job via phone interview. No relocation costs were offered or asked for.

I was going to move regardless. My unemployment benefits were running out at the end of my kids school year, so I was going to use my savings to relocate to my chosen location and then find a job. Getting the job before the moving date was great, but not required.

Which is why having some savings is always a good idea!

Old 02-25-2018, 09:50 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,497,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I got a job via phone interview. No relocation costs were offered or asked for.

I was going to move regardless. My unemployment benefits were running out at the end of my kids school year, so I was going to use my savings to relocate to my chosen location and then find a job. Getting the job before the moving date was great, but not required.

Which is why having some savings is always a good idea!
Good for you. Savings is paramount. I would not be going anywhere without it. I recently learned someone will be relocating to work at my place of employment. Bad Idea. In 1.5 years, I have seen over 21 people come and leave. Two were in the position he accepted. I sincerely hope he has savings. Relocating can be expensive. I hope he does not have a family. I feel bad.

I just do not see jobs the same way I did before. I am scared.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:12 AM

1,180 posts, read 988,800 times
It is different from healthcare. I live in Atlanta and got a call from a recruiter to head a lab in Colorado Springs with relocation assistance. I get calls and emails from all around the country.

Before I moved to Atlanta I applied for a job here first before moving. It didn't seem to be a problem that I lived 4 hours away. At my previous job, we hired people from NY, PA, and even Alaska.

Perhaps let it be known during the application or interview process that you are willing to relocate without assistance? If you have friends in the area, see if they'll let you use their address when applying for jobs. That's if you are already unemployed so that you job dates and location don't conflict with you residence location.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:12 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,673,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildSpark View Post
I executed a corporate transfer ten years ago to a new city. Since then, I've been laid off three times and live in a new city. I'm getting pretty desperate to move. When I lived in Denver and was moving to Dallas, I began applying in Dallas. I received quite a few calls on my resume, but it all quickly ended when they discovered I was not yet a Dallas resident. Told me to reach out to them when I'd arrived. By then, the job was already filled.
That's fairly common. I can think of two ways around that: one would be to simply not tell them you're in Denver and try to aggregate interviews into short trips to Dallas. The other would be to build relationships with recruiters who work for companies or industries relevant to you. I've added dozens and dozens of recruiters to my LinkedIn network, and I make a point to, in addition to building my personal brand, responding to theirs... reply to posts, congratulate them on new jobs, say happy birthday, etc. That way, if a situation like this comes up, instead of "Dear Sir So-and-so, I want to relocate to Dallas, will you make a special exception for me?"; it's "Hey Joe, I see you have an opening in Dallas I might be interested in, can we talk? I can schedule a trip out there if it looks promising."

Old 02-25-2018, 11:13 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,673,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I can see how it's frustrating when political talking heads say "If the economy is bad, you have to be willing to move." Well, sure, if you are willing to put your school aged kids through homelessness and eating from trash cans.
Err, the whole idea of moving during a bad economy is to avoid homelessness and eating out of trash cans. Aimless wandering is not the same thing as moving with a purpose an a plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment