Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 03:51 PM

23,524 posts, read 19,245,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Yes, I moved last year with the federal government. I also moved within the state a couple of times with state government. They are usually pretty open to hiring people who have or want to move. They are more willing to do phone/Skype interviews, which usually helps.
Same experience here. Literally all the new jobs I got were states away from where I happened to be living at the time I applied for them. Like others mentioned, it was a niche profession but it was also one with extremely high competition for every spot. The sad reality is, competition is competition no matter what you happen to think about it. Can only recall two interviews that were actually face-to-face. I did target the region as well as the job, but didn't move before being hired. If no jobs where I hoped to live, find the job elsewhere to gain skills and keep a search going in the background. For the jobs I did get, I met their eligibility, experience, and needs, and was ready to load the car and drop everything as soon as the employer wanted me to. No quibbling or negotiating. Certainly being single helps! Three included relocation expenses but they were federal government positions that happened to have enough funding to offer it. Because I was the person they decided fit their needs the best, they were willing to wait out some of the relocation, but I also offered to start work on projects remotely.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-24-2018 at 04:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 04:01 PM

23,524 posts, read 19,245,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildSpark View Post
No thanks to podunk areas for me.
So, you just eliminated a huge portion of the entire country. OK.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:02 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,506,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You can do what you've been advised to any number of times...
even if it isn't what you want/need to believe you need to do.

Hopefully? That get by job is the CORE of any responsible relocation plan.
Don't expect to spend down the reserve fund... expect to replenish it and even expand it there.

That's the first step... when do you arrive there?
I am struggling with this.

No, I do not plan to spend down my reserve fund. I am working too hard for it. I may not wait to reach out to a couple of temp agencies. I foresee some challenges. I will not take anything that will interfere with potential interviews. Maybe I will get lucky and get something in the evening or my schedule will include days off during the week.

The end of August.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:20 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,103,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am struggling with this.

No, I do not plan to spend down my reserve fund. I am working too hard for it. I may not wait to reach out to a couple of temp agencies. I foresee some challenges. I will not take anything that will interfere with potential interviews. Maybe I will get lucky and get something in the evening or my schedule will include days off during the week.

The end of August.
That is tough. I have a rough idea what will be open at that time, but I don’t know for sure, and until I get resignation/retirement paperwork from my existing employees, I can’t post openings. I probably won’t get that turnover info until June or July.

My fiscal year doesn’t start until July, so if I have new positions funded, I cannot post them until my budget is finalized in May/June.

February is too early to look for August positions, at least for my company

Old 02-24-2018, 04:20 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,673,253 times
When I relocated for a job in 2013, it was stated in the job description that relo would be paid. I see plenty of jobs that pay relo. Mostly large companies for mid-senior level people.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:30 PM

3,103 posts, read 2,444,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSGood View Post
I don't understand why folks are having this problem of residence. I was solicited for a position back east when I was in Iowa. Once there, I had offers from California a year or so later. Two of my three daughters have been asked to apply to some firms and have sent resumes to others in various states and have both relocated a time or two over the years. Never has residency been mentioned, only discussion of paying moving expenses.

I suspect the problem is the skill levels involved. But that's merely speculation.
If there had been a sufficiently large pool of qualified, local candidates, you and your daughters probably wouldn't have been tapped for jobs across the country, regardless of skill level.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:43 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,564,682 times
I did it with my current company. I applied, was interviewed and explained that I would relocate at my own expense. I did have some unique experience that differentiated me from local candidates.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:49 PM

28 posts, read 96,547 times
I am in the exact same position as the OP. I am a nurse in a "high demand" position, but can no longer do nightshifts....and every job that includes my recent experience involves nightshifts. It's a seniority thing.
Very demoralizing. If my husband can find work in the city we want to move to, then we'll move even though we absolutely NEED my income. Dont know how anybody does this?! I'm not asking for relocation fees, either. Am trying to figure out if I need to put a temp address from the state we want to move to.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:55 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,583,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBC19 View Post
I am in the exact same position as the OP. I am a nurse in a "high demand" position, but can no longer do nightshifts....and every job that includes my recent experience involves nightshifts. It's a seniority thing.
Very demoralizing. If my husband can find work in the city we want to move to, then we'll move even though we absolutely NEED my income. Dont know how anybody does this?! I'm not asking for relocation fees, either. Am trying to figure out if I need to put a temp address from the state we want to move to.
moving as a nurse is easier if you go through a travel agency

sign a contract for 12 weeks, get housing provided so in the 3 months you are there working, you can look for a full time job and get to know the area better before finding a place to live

you can take the sign on bonus and use it for relocation if you really wanted to, a lot of hospitals are giving those out now, around here its $5,000 sign on with contract to stay 2 years, or pay back pro-rated for the time left if you leave early

Old 02-24-2018, 08:43 PM

28 posts, read 96,547 times
Yes- I have been a traveler in the past - but the insurance is terrible and I need to cover my two girls, plus I cant find jobs that dont require nightshifts. Even as a traveling nurse. I've checked - although there may be one in the future
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment