Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 03:48 PM

505 posts, read 584,345 times

Advertisements

I executed a corporate transfer ten years ago to a new city. Since then, I've been laid off three times and live in a new city. I'm getting pretty desperate to move. When I lived in Denver and was moving to Dallas, I began applying in Dallas. I received quite a few calls on my resume, but it all quickly ended when they discovered I was not yet a Dallas resident. Told me to reach out to them when I'd arrived. By then, the job was already filled.

I'm finding this to be the case in two other cities I'm applying. I've only heard from one company and they don't want to talk to me after hearing I'm not yet a resident.

How the heck is someone supposed to secure a position in a new city prior to moving? This has only worked for me once, as stated above.

Any suggestions? Besides a corporate transfer, how did you do it?!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 04:05 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
I don't know how people get all these well paying positions and opportunities at different companies or in the pubic sector PERIOD!! Ive done everything I was supposed to do, (Gain 10 years of industry experience, 2 performances awards, experience in management/non-management roles), got a degree, am a veteran. Usually when I sign on at a company, and luck out, Im STUCK there. (even when it starts to suck and then finally I'm on parole after layoffs hit) They say its easier to find a job when you have a job, but I never found this to be true. I have the same luck whether I was employed or unemployed.

My guess is, you have to know the right people to get you in. Resume/Education/Work experience/PerFormance awards etc. Don;'t seem to be much help anymore. I don't think Companies are even looking for that to be honest at least not from a stranger they don't know

Last edited by DorianRo; 02-23-2018 at 04:39 PM..

Old 02-23-2018, 04:09 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,249,611 times
corporations are increasingly reluctant to spend $10k+ on relocation costs to bring someone from another area. My wife managed to get that kind of relo package and this allowed the whole family to relocate on their dime.

After taking some time off I found a permanent job too.

try applying to jobs in places where it's difficult to find qualified candidates. this implies staying away from big metro areas.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
I don't know how people get all these well paying positions and opportunities at different companies or in the pubic sector PERIOD!! Ive done everything I was supposed to do, (Gain 10 years of industry, 2 performances awards, experience in management/non-management roles), got a degree, am a veteran. Usually when I sign on at a company, and luck out, Im STUCK there. (even when it starts to suck and then finally I'm on parole after layoffs hit) They say its easier to find a job when you have a job, but I never found this to be true. I have the same luck whether I was employed or unemployed.

My guess is, you have to know the right people to get you in. Resume/Education/Work experience/PerFormance awards etc. Don;'t seem to be much help anymore. I don't think Companies are even looking for that to be honest at least not from a stranger they don't know
Thank you for sharing. How frustrating and depressing for us!

Old 02-23-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
corporations are increasingly reluctant to spend $10k+ on relocation costs to bring someone from another area. My wife managed to get that kind of relo package and this allowed the whole family to relocate on their dime.

After taking some time off I found a permanent job too.

try applying to jobs in places where it's difficult to find qualified candidates. this implies staying away from big metro areas.
That's the thing, I'm not looking for a company to pay for my move, just hire me! I hear of all the people on CD saying to line up a job before you move, but this is unrealistic. No thanks to podunk areas for me.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:10 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,268 times
if you're a in demand healthcare worker like MD, PA, or RN, you can probably have your pick of out of state jobs

Old 02-23-2018, 07:26 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
You sound like me, years ago. I made the move to Dallas, while living in Houston. I made it to the final round of interviews at 2 companies in Dallas. I picked the one that had the highest salary.

It depends entirely on the demand for your skills. It certainly easier, if you were in a high demand role like medicine, technology, or executive. If you are a new college grad, it's pretty easy also.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:53 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
It used to be common to graduate college and go straight to a job in another city. And even later in career, take a job in another city. Isn't that the case anymore?

Old 02-23-2018, 08:08 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
It used to be common to graduate college and go straight to a job in another city. And even later in career, take a job in another city. Isn't that the case anymore?
Not really, not unless you're lucky (managed to score the right internships) or if you are the children of elites. Otherwise, probably not. You'd have to move to the other city first, which is kind hard if you don't have a job lined up there.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:11 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildSpark View Post
That's the thing, I'm not looking for a company to pay for my move, just hire me! I hear of all the people on CD saying to line up a job before you move, but this is unrealistic. No thanks to podunk areas for me.
What field are you in? What industry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment