Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2018, 10:04 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Disney is a horrible company. Learned that after what they did to the American tech workers. This, plus their hyper-gay push, plus what they did to Star Wars, have caused me to despise them.
The cost cutting will spread everywhere in disney except exec positions. This is the common theme in the 21st century. The company rakes in billions and this all goes to make the few very rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 11:43 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Examples of these "New Skills" you are suggesting?
Go to Indeed.com, filter for the desired salary, and see what jobs pop up. Get those skills.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:44 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Why can't the no/low skilled workers get new skills?
How? It's a never ending vicious cycle. People work a full time low skilled job that doesn't cover their bills. If they go to college, they go into debt for it, can't work as many hours to pay the bills they weren't able to pay working full time, and have no guarantee of a better job at the end of their schooling. Blue collar jobs are disappearing, so trade school doesn't help either. And if they live in a high cost of living area, they can't afford to move somewhere cheaper because they don't have the extra money to leave California or wherever they are. And forget having a kid; there's even less money for that. Rent control would be a great start at helping people pay their bills since housing is the single greatest expense. Hardly anyone can afford a $2400/month apartment, which is the average apartment rent in LA.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
How? It's a never ending vicious cycle. People work a full time low skilled job that doesn't cover their bills. If they go to college, they go into debt for it, can't work as many hours to pay the bills they weren't able to pay working full time, and have no guarantee of a better job at the end of their schooling. Blue collar jobs are disappearing, so trade school doesn't help either. And if they live in a high cost of living area, they can't afford to move somewhere cheaper because they don't have the extra money to leave California or wherever they are. And forget having a kid; there's even less money for that. Rent control would be a great start at helping people pay their bills since housing is the single greatest expense. Hardly anyone can afford a $2400/month apartment, which is the average apartment rent in LA.
Work the fast food job during the day, use Pell grant to do community college at night. Get two year degree. Get low level job at company that offers tuition reimbursement. Finish 4 yr degree on company tab. Get better job. Move up the ranks.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:03 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
I'm no fan of Disney after WED did contract work for my employer back in the 80s (we called them the Disnoids, and hated them with a passion.) However:

Recently I've been reading and listening to economists talking about America's growing labor shortage. There is currently a shortage of workers in the skilled trades, and also in the "unskilled labor" category, and this is projected to be the case for some time in the future.

Since that's current reality, I would think that jobs in these categories will slowly begin to pay a little more out of necessity just to pull in employees. Either that or the US will have to get serious about a "guest worker" program.

Unskilled labor jobs have always been filled by: the young/slaves/recent immigrants/drunks and druggies/the mentally defective/those who don't have a need or wish for a full time living wage. I don't know why we think now should be any different. If someone doesn't fall into the above categories and is still working an unskilled labor job, there's something else wrong with them.

If the Disney jobs that pay badly are skilled labor jobs, the employees should simply move on to a part of the country with a better COLA. I have NO tolerance at all for people who won't move for work.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I'm no fan of Disney after WED did contract work for my employer back in the 80s (we called them the Disnoids, and hated them with a passion.) However:

Recently I've been reading and listening to economists talking about America's growing labor shortage. There is currently a shortage of workers in the skilled trades, and also in the "unskilled labor" category, and this is projected to be the case for some time in the future.

Since that's current reality, I would think that jobs in these categories will slowly begin to pay a little more out of necessity just to pull in employees. Either that or the US will have to get serious about a "guest worker" program.

Unskilled labor jobs have always been filled by: the young/slaves/recent immigrants/drunks and druggies/the mentally defective/those who don't have a need or wish for a full time living wage. I don't know why we think now should be any different. If someone doesn't fall into the above categories and is still working an unskilled labor job, there's something else wrong with them.

If the Disney jobs that pay badly are skilled labor jobs, the employees should simply move on to a part of the country with a better COLA. I have NO tolerance at all for people who won't move for work.
What slaves? Do you mean wage slaves, which would apply to everyone or were you referring to Black people?

Old 03-07-2018, 12:21 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post

Regarding unskilled labor, even Chick-Fil-A in my neck of the woods in nowhere Tennessee is looking for help at $11/hr.

Old 03-07-2018, 02:19 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I would never live in California unless i was some tech genius who could pull a massive salary. It is not a place for people who are not rich.
That's a very generalized statement, considering how enormous California is! Yes, the Bay Area (where I am) and Los Angeles/Orange Counties are very expensive - but there's a whole chunk of the state which is more affordable, like the Central Valley and northern/coastal regions. Of course the jobs are where the COL is higher, but if you were a retiree or worked from home, etc, there's plenty of California that's doable for the "non-rich."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The very poor in California are subsidized. It's that large middle that gets squeezed.
Sadly, this is true about the Bay Area and LA. I'm one of those middle-class workers, and struggle to make the rent every month... that's why I might be leaving soon, which sucks because I love my job here and have been in the Bay since childhood. It seriously would be easier to be poor here, but I've worked too hard to throw in the towel like that.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:35 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,697,086 times
Solution is simple. Move out of California or find a better job. Me personally, I would never want to live in California

Old 03-07-2018, 03:53 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
learn the skills needed to move up where you work...

even in fast food, you can keep your eyes open and be willing to learn how to do other things, and move up there

you don't need "school" to learn skills... or why would so many college grads be so lacking in skills upon graduation?

why do people think skills are something that is "passed on" through a teacher/mentor? Yes, having one helps, but skills are gained through doing it repeatedly and nothing else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment