Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2018, 08:54 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,530,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
And therefore there is no context within which a discussion can take place between you and I regarding my comments.
<>
you and me Using "I" does make it sound more snooty, but it's wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 08:55 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
I grew up with a guy that was involved with sound and light shows. He built his own company. When he was a kid he always wanted to work at Disneyland. That was a goal that he had. A few years ago I ran into him and his wife at a Christmas Tree lighting party at our local shopping area. We had not seen each other for some time. Of course the question came up: What are you doing now.

He told me that for the last 4 or 5 years he had been working his dream job at Disneyland. This is a 52 year old guy that in his 40's had finally landed his dream job. He also still had his sound and light company and continued to run that when he was not working at Disneyland. He could care less what the pay was. Then again realize, he owns his home and the kids are grown. For him it is not a deal breaker if Disney tells him that he is out of work.

I have no way of knowing how much he makes at Disneyland. It is not my business. He is just happy to be able to work there. I am thinking that others might have the same idea. It is not so much their only money making gig. Then again that is the reality for many living in California.

Growing up I have known lots of high school and college kids that have worked at amusement parks and it was for the extra money. For them it was not the idea to do it forever or as a way to support them for life. Going thru the park you realize that many college age kids are working the park. Not exactly the last job that they will have.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
<>He also still had his sound and light company and continued to run that when he was not working at Disneyland. He could care less what the pay was.<>
So what would it take for him to care less about the pay rate?

ITYM that since he does not care about the pay scale, "he couldn't care less"?

Old 03-05-2018, 02:57 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
So what would it take for him to care less about the pay rate?

ITYM that since he does not care about the pay scale, "he couldn't care less"?
Oh No I messed up. Hard to believe. LOL.

Still, I am thinking that you got the jist of what I was saying.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:47 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,478,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
There is so much technology for people to be dispersed around the country yet we have the 2 golden coasts that have all the 80% of the well paying jobs in the country.

The political side is many tech companies are hostage to tax deals in order to keep jobs at sanctuary states in order to keep proppoing up the democrats liberal agenda of feeding the illegal and the poor.
People in this thread keep going on and on about how if employees don't like Disney, then don't work for Disney.
We can apply the same concept here... if you didn't want to deal with these issues, then a company is free to set up shop in any of the other areas of the country.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:48 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,339,703 times
I knew someone that worked for Disney as a "cast member" at one of the parks. She said that once the initial allure of working at Disney wears off, you realize that it is one of the worst jobs ever. Low wages, terrible benefits, Soviet style workplace policies and surveillance, etc.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
I knew someone that worked for Disney as a "cast member" at one of the parks. She said that once the initial allure of working at Disney wears off, you realize that it is one of the worst jobs ever.<>
My son learned that after a week at Burger King.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:36 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
This is rather convoluted and doesn’t appear to answer the question, so I’ll try again. Do you disagree that market forces should determine wages/salaries?

And one more thing, employers don’t have the ability to avoid paying a valid workers comp claim, as they don’t pay it - workman’s comp insurance pays it.
Maybe I misunderstood the question, or you're changing or clarifying it. I thought you were talking about the risk of one's life and well being was worth. Once upon a time the loss of of life was meaningless to the market. Now there are legal and financial repercussions, as dictated by government and insurances.

https://www.npr.org/2015/10/14/44854...ensation-plans

The market and the government regulations both ultimately determine wages and salaries.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:03 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,260,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
73% of Disneyland workers don't make enough to cover rent, food; Disney calls survey 'inaccurate'

Three-quarters of employees surveyed at Disney's Anaheim resort say they can't afford basic living expenses
This is normal in many areas of SW Florida, especially Naples.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:13 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
This is normal in many areas of SW Florida, especially Naples.
Anaheim is in Kalifornia!

BTW, I found this story too: The Price of Wonderland: Homeless Disney Worker Dies in Car

And again, let's not forget this story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt4jXTj4zSc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDMe4jKXT68
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment