Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 02:20 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Get a can of Glade air freshener and spray it around your cubicle to tone down the smell.
Yeah. Make it worse.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:31 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
It depends on the food. If it smells good, I have no issue.
In my last job I got into the habit of making one particular brand of chai in the mornings instead of the ubiquitous coffee. A nice cinnamon, spice, cardamon scent. Kept the mix in my office so it was a little noticeable there too. People liked it. After I retired, the person who now uses that office emailed me asking about the brand. Turned out my colleagues missed the morning's chai ambience especially during staff meetings. Whether they also missed ME was debatable.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-06-2018 at 02:44 PM..

Old 03-06-2018, 02:49 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Bothers me to no end!
Microwaved fish is the worst imo!
This should be banned all around the world!

Old 03-06-2018, 03:08 PM

5,178 posts, read 3,091,598 times
Hidden in all these anecdotes about office workers and their eating and snack habits is an explanation for the runaway obesity of adult Americans?

Old 03-06-2018, 03:17 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Hidden in all these anecdotes about office workers and their eating and snack habits is an explanation for the runaway obesity of adult Americans?
What's your point? Fish, fermented cabbage dishes, some of the most maligned items whined about don't happen to be very fattening.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:24 PM

343 posts, read 229,810 times
I love Kimchi and curry too but I don't eat it at work. I also don't eat anything with raw onions lots of garlic, any sort of fish and egg salad, nothing too vinegary etc.

Part of getting along in the office is not creating smells or having bad breath. It's simple enough to eat a lunch that is not publicly offensive and enjoyable.

A note about kimchi in particular. Some people eat kimchi as a digestive aid so it's really a cultural issue. The idea of having a meal without kimchi is incomplete and in some people's mind it means they won't digest the meal as well. In this case, I would just "grin and bear it"

In general Americans don't think much about digestion despite how well antacids and stomach aids sell here but other countries are a bit more obsessed with it.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:57 PM

5,178 posts, read 3,091,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
What's your point? Fish, fermented cabbage dishes, some of the most maligned items whined about don't happen to be very fattening.
My point is that many people go to work and eat.all.frikken.day. Then they go home and pile it on again. Or maybe you think they're all just "big boned"?

Old 03-06-2018, 09:38 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,387,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophitia View Post
Does it bother anyone else? There is a woman who eats Kimchi at work. It's terrible. And another brings this curry stuff. It smells sooooo bad.
Yep. One woman brings her beans every day, they look and smell like poop. I almost throw up when she does it. Kimchi smells good. Currys smell great, but can bee too spicy. And, we had a lady in the office before, she felt entitled to start her days with garlic shrimp pasta.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:45 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,387,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
The cabbage soup offender is the worst. As a whole though it’s just part of office life we have to live with until management allows adequate breaks and microwaves in areas no one else can smell.
You just never smelt sautéed sauerkraut with kielbasa. I won't describe how it smells after being processed in a body.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:21 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Actually; Complaining about food eaten by people of other races and cultures and trying to get them to either change their diet or stop heating their food in the company supplied microwave as you are doing, is a form of racism and is actually against the law to do so in the workplace today.
If you don't mean this sarcastically, I have to wonder where you get the idea that objecting to strongly-smelling food, especially in the workplace, compares to racism. Anyone can eat their favorite foods at home or in restaurants, but the workplace is shared by everyone who works there.

Strong-smelling fragrances are often banned, also. Surely you have some doctors who request "no fragrance, please" on automated reminders that are sent out.

It is quite common for specified odiferous foods to be banned in employee break rooms and at workers' desks.

I think that is a good idea. No one should have to tolerate stinky microwaved fish, as just one example, during their workday.

Kimchi may be tasty (I eat it myself from time to time), but anyone who says it smells good (other than to them it may smell "tasty" because they like it) ought to book an appointment with an otolaryngologist.

I agree with AndCatsForAll who wrote "Part of getting along in the office is not creating smells or having bad breath. It's simple enough to eat a lunch that is not publicly offensive and enjoyable."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment