Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 03:19 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Thanks, and that is what I’ll say! It would have been easier to get a FT position (if/when one becomes available again) as an internal hire, but again, there’s still no guarantee of that happening - and I simply cannot afford to take such a risk, especially with no real safety net. Adulting sucks, lol.
And next time ask what the salary is ahead of time. No one likes to have their time wasted interviewing someone who will never take the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 03:21 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And next time ask what the salary is ahead of time. No one likes to have their time wasted interviewing someone who will never take the job.
Then maybe the employer should list the salary range in the job posting...

No one likes to waste their time on tedious online applications for jobs they'd never accept.

Most companies don't provide salary information for a reason; leverage during the negotiation process. If you don't know the high end of the range, then you have less negotiating power.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:50 PM

857 posts, read 959,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
$80k down to $30k is significant. I wouldnt take it either.

Turn it down, but be honest about it. Tell them it is only about the money, and after serious consideration you simply cannot do it, but a FT job is still of interest to you. If they liked you for the PT job, they will probably consider you for the FT.
Isn't it not known before the interview process, that such a big gap exists? This seems a waste of time on both sides. Why go thru it if it's clearly a no-go at the end?

Old 03-13-2018, 04:40 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
I've mentioned on this forum that I have been trying to relocate, and had my sights set on one location/employer in particular... I applied for a total of FIVE positions with them (over the last two-ish years), made it to final round on a couple, and even traveled to Oregon for those final-round interviews. Along the way I had applied for one that was beneath me professionally and financially, mostly out of frustration and desperation in a weak moment. Well, guess what? That's the offer I ended up getting last week.

At the advice of my family, I went through with allowing them to call my references and run the background check, then got the official offer on Thursday - and told the hiring manager I'd call her on Monday or Tuesday with my final answer, since I had to think about it first. She called today to follow up, but I was working and missed the call, and now it's too late (she said she'd only be there until 4pm). So I have to call tomorrow, I guess, and now I'm nervous about what to say.

Problem is that I'm still interested in working for them, just not in THIS position, as it would be a step down and isn't even full-time. I am currently employed full-time, so it's not like I am desperate for anything... I was just anxious to move, but realized almost immediately this position doesn't financially justify relocation. I mean, I'm earning over $40/hr @ 40 hours/week right now, and this job paid $18-22/hr for 28 hours/week. There was a chance I'd get extra shifts, but not guaranteed, and even with the lower COL there I'd be coming up WAY short of my current income. So yeah, not a smart move. Oh, and negotiating terms isn't really possible for a union/public job.

Since it is a public institution, you can technically turn down three offers before they "remove you from the list." Still, is this going to reduce my chances in the future? And just to ease my guilt, how often do you think offers are rejected by a first-choice candidate? I just feel badly they wasted time on me, and while I'm sure they have other people who'd want the job, I worry this will make me look bad. Also, is it more or less professional to email vs call my rejection - and how do I tell them no, exactly? Sorry so many questions, but I haven't had to do this is in a LONG time! Should I be honest and say it's not financially feasible, or just give a generic "thanks but no thanks?"

A drop in pay and hours, but you'd get to live in Oregon! You should take it and count on getting put on full-time status, with a raise, based on your future hard work. And your dollars will go a lot further here.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:28 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Isn't it not known before the interview process, that such a big gap exists? This seems a waste of time on both sides. Why go thru it if it's clearly a no-go at the end?
I already called and told them I couldn't take it, but want to address the above for the record... yes, I did know the salary and hours ahead of time, but this was my exact line of thought:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
A drop in pay and hours, but you'd get to live in Oregon! You should take it and count on getting put on full-time status, with a raise, based on your future hard work. And your dollars will go a lot further here.
Unfortunately once my housing plans fell through (and yes, that is a done deal), so did my enthusiasm and willingness to take such a big risk. It would be one thing if I were un/under-employed here, but I do have a good job with the county, where I've been happily working for almost 6 years. Basically the Oregon job sounded good in theory, but once it became a real option, my head took over the heart and said "this is just not the right time or job."

She (the manager) was very understanding, though, and said she realized it would have been financially risky. She also said to keep my eyes out for future openings, and definitely apply if any are better suited for me. Again, this is a PUBLIC sector job, so negotiations and just "being offered something else" aren't a legitimate option... even if the perfect job opened tomorrow AND they wanted me for it, they'd still have to make me go through the whole hiring/interviewing process. That's how the public-sector game works, and I've been in it long enough to know that. I also know they don't take things as personally, and usually mean it when they say "we'll consider you for future opportunities." We'll see what happens, but if nothing else this experience made me appreciate what I do have here in the Bay Area.

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-13-2018 at 06:38 PM..

Old 03-13-2018, 06:34 PM

Oh, and sometimes I do apply for city/county jobs just to get on the "eligibility list" - even if the specific opening at that time isn't suitable or desirable. That's basically how I got my current job! I applied for a general recruitment, and was ranked fairly high on the list, which is good for two years. I was quickly invited to interview for three jobs, and took all of the interviews, even though I was NOT interested in at least one (since it was children's services - I do adult/teen). Just showing you're serious and not declining interviews looks good, and within a few months I was offered the job I have now.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Then maybe the employer should list the salary range in the job posting...

No one likes to waste their time on tedious online applications for jobs they'd never accept.

Most companies don't provide salary information for a reason; leverage during the negotiation process. If you don't know the high end of the range, then you have less negotiating power.
Again, the salary range is set by the union and city - it's actually public information, so even if it wasn't clearly listed, I could have found it on the city's website. But as I said above, I was thinking more along the lines of "hey, it'll get me to Oregon (where I've been trying to move [back] for a while), and might parlay into a better job down the line." Not an issue of negotiating power, though, since even the manager has ZERO control over that. If they had offered me a higher salary, they literally would've had to raise the salary of every comparable city employee.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:25 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,522,918 times
It is easy to tell them "I am very interested in working for your organization, but, I need a full-time position that pays at least what I'm making now so I must decline this particular offer."

Old 03-13-2018, 07:58 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Again, this is a PUBLIC sector job, so negotiations and just "being offered something else" aren't a legitimate option... even if the perfect job opened tomorrow AND they wanted me for it, they'd still have to make me go through the whole hiring/interviewing process.
And, as I am sure you know, they can't even contact you to let you know when something else opens up. It is entirely up to you to keep checking the public sector job websites and also ensure that you are up-to-date with job interest cards that will be emailed to you.

I think you made a good decision not to accept a low-paying job up in Oregon.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
It is easy to tell them "I am very interested in working for your organization, but, I need a full-time position that pays at least what I'm making now so I must decline this particular offer."
Well, the chances of a job paying "at least what I'm making now" are slim to none - given that most public librarians in the US average $50-60K, while I am currently making over $80K (due to local COL being so ridiculously expensive). But it would have to be comparable when adjusted for COL, which I figured out to be in that $50K-ish range. I did interview with them for a couple of FT librarian positions, and they paid a little above that, so I'd have happily accepted one of those positions. Sadly, this is the one I was offered instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment