Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 02:39 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times

Advertisements

Here's a copy and paste of the job experience essentials for a 6 months+ Contract job below...

Education & Experience Essential

• Minimum of five years of design and implementation experience in IT, with a deep knowledge in: Cisco compute products & cloud infrastructure technologies and tools, CASB vendor, infrastructure as code modeling, advanced networking, SAN Engineering.

• 4+ years' experience as an IT Infrastructure Architect, with focus on Azure, cloud, server, storage and networking.

• 3+ years' experience with MS Server Operating Systems

• 3+ years' experience with MS SQL, Sharepoint and .NET

• Engineering and or computer science degree from an accredited institution.

Desirable

• Master’s degree preferred.

I get that it must be really easy to get a Master's Degree in India, they must be setting the new expectations for IT workers here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 02:44 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
'IT' is extremely varied. Some IT jobs take a high school diploma only, some require a PhD. You came across one that wants a masters.

Masters degrees are extremely common where I live (in the US) as well. Two years part time at night while working full time and most anyone can get a masters.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:46 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
And some of those concepts are not even all that related.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:37 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
And???? Are people going to keep starting threads about job postings they don't like?

Old 03-19-2018, 04:55 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,662,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
And???? Are people going to keep starting threads about job postings they don't like?
Of course. Gotta have something to bellyache over!

Old 03-19-2018, 05:22 PM

4,964 posts, read 2,711,215 times
Must be a glut of IT professionals if companies are able to demand more and more. So much for the IT "STEM worker shortage".

I was in IT for 35 years. When I first started in this field, it was highly respected. The work was easier and the pay was more in inflation adjusted dollars. I saw the IT field degrade, especially in the last 10 years. I sure picked a good time to retire out of it. It's a nightmare for my colleagues who are still in it and cannot retire yet, and worse yet for my former colleagues who have been pushed out of it, are too young to retire and have to seek other lower paying employment.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:24 PM

989 posts, read 1,877,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Must be a glut of IT professionals if companies are able to demand more and more. So much for the IT "STEM worker shortage".

I was in IT for 35 years. When I first started in this field, it was highly respected. The work was easier and the pay was more in inflation adjusted dollars. I saw the IT field degrade, especially in the last 10 years. I sure picked a good time to retire out of it. It's a nightmare for my colleagues who are still in it and cannot retire yet, and worse yet for my former colleagues who have been pushed out of it, are too young to retire and have to seek other lower paying employment.

I could not agree more. I've been in IT for the ages, and have about 12 more years before I can seriously entertain retiring. This used to be a great field. Those days are long gone.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:40 PM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
As already stated, a Masters is not that hard to get. It's like 35 credits for some schools. Sign up for online courses at a regionally accredited school part time and you could get it in a year in a half.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:19 AM

4,964 posts, read 2,711,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
As already stated, a Masters is not that hard to get. It's like 35 credits for some schools. Sign up for online courses at a regionally accredited school part time and you could get it in a year in a half.
It is quite an investment in money. My employer paid for my two masters degrees so I got a good deal. Not sure if I would have done them if I had to pay for them myself or go into debt.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:22 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
It is quite an investment in money. My employer paid for my two masters degrees so I got a good deal. Not sure if I would have done them if I had to pay for them myself or go into debt.
Yep, I've thought about going back to get my MBA. For the accelerated one year MBA, it is $25,000 from my regional state U. I doubt I'd see anywhere near that return on my investment, especially if I remained in my local area. I certainly wouldn't go into debt for it.

My employer will reimburse a certain amount annually, but it's nowhere near the cost of the tuition. It would be the equivalent of a car payment for a fairly expensive used auto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment