Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2018, 10:48 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times

Advertisements

In my field, the tech field. I've always somewhat felt that job titles really didn't mean much. And as we evolve as an industry, there is a tendency to have more "hybrid roles" in an organization. Titles like Site Reliability Engineer feel they're more of an amalgamation of duties that can expand or contract depending on business need. Even some roles like "manager" have become less important, as organizations appear to be moving away from hierarchy and are becoming more flat overall.

I believe as we move further away from a more of a manufacturing job market and more to a service oriented job market. The old constructs of a more hierarchical system seems to be somewhat collapsing. As a tech professionals who has had a cop of coffee at many organizations, I have to say that companies that were less hierarchical tended to be the best to work for, and seemed to have amazing velocity and productivity. Where companies that were big on hierarchies and specific titles tended to be mired in bureaucracy and inefficiency.

To me, I've become convinced outside of an assembly line style of work, the need for strict hierarchy and job titles seem pretty pointless. I almost see a job as more of a "position" on a team. Meaning I feel like the hiring manager's main job is to highlight strengths of each individual contributor, and utilize them effectively. Instead of trying to some what mold and meld them into a strict set of duties and responsibilities. Now I say this as a tech person where innovation is the most important goal for any team or any company. I could be misspeaking about other types of roles. But I did want your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 11:00 AM

13 posts, read 9,138 times
Yes, there's a huge emphasis on being able to "wear many hats." I'm like a Program Manager and Software Engineer and Support Engineer and Software Architect and sometimes acting Scum Master.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:50 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Job title or corporate title? I work in a matrix organization structure. Corporate titles still matter. More flexibility around job titles.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:03 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
What you're paid and what responsibility you have matters. Outside of a few titles that carry legal weight in specific industries or functions, titles don't matter.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:20 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,712,589 times
Yes, I also worked in IT. Titles at my jobs were mostly meaningless. They also differed very much at different companies, so more impressive titles sometimes meant less responsibility than more lowly ones.

What was more important to me was the money not the job title. Better a "Junior Programmer" with a big salary than "King of the World" with a low salary.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:23 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Titles in my line of work outside of management and entry level people basically just indicate how many years experience you have and which pay scale you are on.

There are 3 levels in the middle that all do the same work and have probably a 60k swing between the lowest paid person and the highest. It’s kind of absurd.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:55 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
In my field, the tech field. I've always somewhat felt that job titles really didn't mean much. And as we evolve as an industry, there is a tendency to have more "hybrid roles" in an organization. Titles like Site Reliability Engineer feel they're more of an amalgamation of duties that can expand or contract depending on business need. Even some roles like "manager" have become less important, as organizations appear to be moving away from hierarchy and are becoming more flat overall.

I believe as we move further away from a more of a manufacturing job market and more to a service oriented job market. The old constructs of a more hierarchical system seems to be somewhat collapsing. As a tech professionals who has had a cop of coffee at many organizations, I have to say that companies that were less hierarchical tended to be the best to work for, and seemed to have amazing velocity and productivity. Where companies that were big on hierarchies and specific titles tended to be mired in bureaucracy and inefficiency.

To me, I've become convinced outside of an assembly line style of work, the need for strict hierarchy and job titles seem pretty pointless. I almost see a job as more of a "position" on a team. Meaning I feel like the hiring manager's main job is to highlight strengths of each individual contributor, and utilize them effectively. Instead of trying to some what mold and meld them into a strict set of duties and responsibilities. Now I say this as a tech person where innovation is the most important goal for any team or any company. I could be misspeaking about other types of roles. But I did want your opinions.
No matter where you work or what you do nothing can get done when there is all chiefs and no indians

There is a valid reason for structure in any endeavor.......assignment / management of labor task and resources to avoid........... chaos.

Even the ants and bee's know that!

Old 04-08-2018, 07:41 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
No matter where you work or what you do nothing can get done when there is all chiefs and no indians
...or one of the "chiefs" (used in the loosest possible way) can create a problem that causes a ripple effect across the whole organization ensuring temporary job security for all involved. Too many chiefs allows the corrupt ones to flourish. Right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:22 PM

497 posts, read 422,820 times
No. I've seen that management down play the title and job duties as it is nothing. Over the years, I see that this increased that it is so degrading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment