Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 10:43 AM

923 posts, read 526,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Well UI benefits are temporary they exactly don't last forever either. At most here it's 6 months while you can just apply to 10 jobs a week and can just not do much else have that leisure time no job will ever provide you.

Do you have something against people who milk the system?
Yes, I don't like it when people can work and choose not to and get money from the government on UI. It's just my personal opinion. I also understand that there are certain circumstances that people just can't get a job where they are located.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 10:57 AM

923 posts, read 526,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
How is using insurance that you paid for milking the system?

Does anyone on this thread know how unemployment insurance works?

Idiocracy indeed. My God. Is going to the doctor.with insurance "milking the system"? Check your pay stubs folks. You are paying for social security, Medicare, and unemployment INSURANCE.

Why on God's green earth would.you take a McDonalds job instead of continuing to look for gainful employment in your field?
Yes.

I simply stated who I'd employ. People have every right to use it, not breaking the law. IMHO, it show's their character.

Why take a McD's job, cause you will still have time to look for the job you want. Nothing wrong with "flipping burgers".

Old 04-15-2018, 11:00 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
Yes, I don't like it when people can work and choose not to and get money from the government on UI. It's just my personal opinion. I also understand that there are certain circumstances that people just can't get a job where they are located.

Maybe if the job application wasn't such a nightmare today consisting of nothing but online submissions with your resume just being thrown into a black-hole never to see the light of day again, You can apply to hundreds of jobs and have years of experience and qualifications for along with the education and never hear so much as a call-back from the employers.

This happens more times than you can count. Besides we pay into the UI.

Years ago ago when the job application process was actually SANE, I would say there wasn't much excuse to be unemployed, provided you have a college education and experience. But its not sane anymore

Old 04-15-2018, 11:05 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
Let's say you are eligible for Unemployment Benefits and you want to enjoy your Benefits until it runs out until then you can be more picky with jobs and you'll still get a paycheck every week as long as you look for work.

Or you can always go back to work with an aggressive job search method?

Is it better to go back to work or enjoy UI Benefits while you still can?
Returning to work sooner is better than being unemployed later. Over time, if you have not found a job relevant to your abilities by the time your unemployment benefits expire, you should consider going beyond your comfort zone to find jobs that pays expenses and brings in income. As you take on jobs to get by, continue improving yourself and seeking work relevant to your abilities.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:04 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times
Quote:
Duh it is but do you know why people get on UI Benefits?

Fired/let go thru no fault of their own.

A few benefits

- get paid not to do much , look for work technically while getting paid.

- stress out or tired after all those months or years of working a good chance to take a break, go on a mountain, sleep-in while taking the job search very slow.

- a chance to be picky at the job offers you get. Do you really just want ANY Job?

- Fix the house, spend time with friends, take care of the kids for a bit, help your wife/husband around the house. But before going back to work.

After the 6 months its over sadly but at that point you really can't be picky with jobs.

I'll let you in on a secret. Employers don't like to hire people who haven't worked for months--especially when there are jobs available. Your prospects will be better sooner, not later.

Besides, fixing up the house and going on trips takes money. For many of us, doing nothing for more than a week or two, while our friends are at work, is so dull that we're ready for it to be over.

Old 04-15-2018, 04:46 PM

126 posts, read 96,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Besides, fixing up the house and going on trips takes money. For many of us, doing nothing for more than a week or two, while our friends are at work, is so dull that we're ready for it to be over.
Not for everyone. I was unemployed for 8 months during "the crash" and loved every minute of it, minus anxiety over finding a new job. I had diligently saved over the years and maintained a frugal lifestyle, so it wasn't too bad.

I went to the gym during the day, lifted weights, ran on the treadmill, and soaked in the hot tub for half an hour or more.

Then I visited the local parks and the beach, and I took some driving trips.

I didn't have to deal with the crabby office people, the neverending deadlines and pressure, and waking up at a ridiculous hour. I didn't miss the job I was laid off from at all.

Looking back, it was a preview for retirement.

That said, it was nice to make a good salary again once I found a new job.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:03 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Chances of "going back to work" are becoming less and less in this era of "Resume falling into a black hole" nonsense of online BS and friends.relatives of hiring managers bypassing all the online nonsense.

I had better luck right after the recession began just graduating college and UNEMPLOYED than I do now. There was less BS obstacles to go around just 10 years ago than now employed

You just can't compete with nepotism and politics anymore if you don't have someone who can get you around the dead end on online submissions

Old 04-15-2018, 07:23 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
You just can't compete with nepotism and politics anymore if you don't have someone who can get you around the dead end on online submissions
Pretty hard to compete against yourself and the reputation you built yourself if you find it hard to get hired anywhere... if the people you work with won't put in a word on your behalf

Old 04-15-2018, 09:44 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
Yes.

I simply stated who I'd employ. People have every right to use it, not breaking the law. IMHO, it show's their character.

Why take a McD's job, cause you will still have time to look for the job you want. Nothing wrong with "flipping burgers".
Yeah because someone who earns 450 a week for UI benefits and takes a part time job at mcdonalds who earns 150$ to 300$ is a good idea right? Then you dont have UI anymore

Doubt so.

Im pretty sure nobody actually wants to settle for a downgrading job if you have done a professional office job.

Let's say your an accountant who was earning 48k a year with benefits.

Are you okay taking a 8$ an hour job at mcdonalds or being on a 40k a year office job with no benefits? Would you not rather be on UI looking for a similar or better job that suits your experience and education.?

Old 04-15-2018, 10:26 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
First off, it's your tax money that you paid in over the years of employ! Not the govt just funding it thru a mysterious source. You sourced it along with your employer.
I was elated that I received ue. And I received just enough to be able to pay all my limited bills. Good thing my car was paid off and I had zero credit debt. Just the basic food, shelter. I did get a heaping load of interview rejections...must say it was an eye opener how employers wanted champagne skills on a sows budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment