Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2018, 10:45 PM

34,152 posts, read 17,225,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iameupr View Post
I just got fired due to a random drug test and really upset about it. For reference it was due to marijuana. It has been the only "drug" I have ever had. And I smoked one bowl 8 days ago. I get that I will not much sympathy and I admit I messed up, but it gets me that this is an issue in the first place. Especially when people that can take hard/lethal drugs can easily pass the drug test in just a few days.

I am married and have a two year old son and my husband isn't mad but now due to our stupid puritan society I have to look for another job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VuN4P7897k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 10:54 PM

638 posts, read 531,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
What is the mother of a two year old son doing smoking pot ? Nice example you are setting there. I expected to see this thread started by some pot head guy, but not a female.....especially a mother.
Next thing you know we won't be allowed to have wine or Prozac either. Working mothers of two year olds need it more than anyone. Where I am it's legal but the national corporations and fed jobs still test.

Bummer OP. Come on out west, nobody's going to beat down a mom for taking a day off while her kid is with Nana.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:57 PM

638 posts, read 531,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The point remains:

Marijuana is a stupefactant; so is alcohol, for that matter, but it is both easier to detect on one's breath, and wears off much more quickly. Most of us choose to stupefy ourselves to some degree, on some occasions, but there are points at which this can clearly become a threat to someone, and the interpretation of that point is divided between the public and private components of that complex critter we call "society".

Policing of this issue is imperfect -- I've worked in enough capacities during a 50-year working life to recognize that --- once sat on the side seat of a maintenance crew's truck while the driver drove us home while intoxicated, but knew that raising the issue was more likely to see me let go rather than him. And as a general rule, the greater the risk, the stronger the policing. And on the other side of the issue, if a private-sector employer has a distaste for grass-heads, even because of peripheral leanings like politics or religion, its his/her privilege, so long as (s)he's signing the paychecks.

Live and learn; if you insist on working schnockered, you can ride shotgun on a garbage truck.
The chemicals they test for in weed stay in your system long after the high.

So OP.can be stone cold.sober and test for.past use.

Yeah she should have known the policy, that's on her, but she didn't have to go to work high to fail the test.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:58 PM

78,752 posts, read 60,939,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
Next thing you know we won't be allowed to have wine or Prozac either. Working mothers of two year olds need it more than anyone. Where I am it's legal but the national corporations and fed jobs still test.

Bummer OP. Come on out west, nobody's going to beat down a mom for taking a day off while her kid is with Nana.
Go easy on the old-timer, they remember a time when women were cookers, cleaners and slept in a separate bed on TV shows (in black and white).

Old 04-14-2018, 11:05 PM

13,148 posts, read 21,111,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
Even though pot is legal most everywhere now, employers do not honor it's legality, and still classify it as a drug along with other hard drugs.
That is the fundamental conflict of state legalization. Since federal law still holds it illegal, states can not force employers to retain an employee who fails a drug test. However, several states do not hod it against the individual regarding benefits. Depending on certain factors, terminated employees often can still collect unemployment or apply for state/employer funded treatment.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:12 PM

10,383 posts, read 8,625,730 times
To the people that say the drug use is okay and everyone does it, I hope you are not driving a school bus full of kids.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:16 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,849,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
To the people that say the drug use is okay and everyone does it, I hope you are not driving a school bus full of kids.
Does that include alcohol users and people who take psychotropic precription meds? Alcohol is a far more dangerous drug for coordination related activities (such as driving) than marijuana. Personally, if a company will test for marijuana, but not alcohol, I think they are idiots.

One of my school bus drivers was a long haired hippie stoner. He was one of the few drivers we actually liked.

Willie Nelson will probably outlive most of you, so the last laugh is on you.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:50 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,483,426 times
I can only speak anecdotally, but the people I know who smoke weed just don't stop at one joint a day. It seems like some of them smoke 24/7 like it's a job. A lot of these people also have alcohol problems. Too much of anything is usually bad. Also...if people who drank alcohol did so as frequently as the weed smokers I know, they would be drunk as hell and there'd be no need for a drug test. The smell would be seeping out of their pores. So there's that.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:08 AM

37,213 posts, read 41,447,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What will you do if diagnosed with stage 3 cancer?
Context, whogo, context!

Old 04-15-2018, 01:31 AM

26,702 posts, read 41,840,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
What is the mother of a two year old son doing smoking pot ? Nice example you are setting there. I expected to see this thread started by some pot head guy, but not a female.....especially a mother.
Same thing a father or those who don’t have kids are doing smoking pot, using a drug in recreational use off the clock that has little bearing on their ability to parent or do their job if done in moderation. I smoke pot occasionally myself, grad student who had a 4.0 GPA last semester and working 45 hours a week at a stressful job (thankfully which don’t test for drugs.) Why should I get into trouble for using something that is legal to use less than 10 minutes from my house in Washington DC?

I think employers should butt out of people’s lives off the clock. If they want to test for drugs, then they better stop company sponsored happy hours where they pay for you to get liquored up since IMO that is worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment