Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 07:09 PM

192 posts, read 147,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I don't see how any of this would have ever been an issue. You voluntarily left one job and the termination from the other job had nothing to do with you.
Correct. It started when I asked how people would communicate what happened...and was told to lie if anyone asked why I was no longer with my former employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Good for you. Honestly? It seems a lot of people on this forum lie and cheat their way through their professional lives. They tend to justify it by telling other people to do the same, or by claiming their employers lie to them, so they are justified in doing it back (if EVERYONE lies, it's OK that I lie too, right?).

It's good to see someone actually be honest instead of using circumstances to justify bad actions.
Thanks. I am glad I went this route too. And, even happier I stood my ground and it worked out.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I believe honesty is always best.

I was fired from my first job outside of the navy. In EVERY interview afterwards I explain that I was fired, and deserved it. I explained what I learned from that and how it would never happen again. It was never a problem.
Sorry that happened to you. But glad to hear that it is also working out telling the truth.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:17 PM

As I'm reading these, and the post is titled my experience... there are still people saying to lie.

But, that's ok. That's their choice. I told the truth and it wasn't a problem. Heck, I requested a higher salary than the initial offer, and they came back with a number higher than what I countered with. So, it seems to be working out.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:33 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Why does this sound more like a morality tale than a true story?

Old 04-24-2018, 07:42 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
There are ways to answer the question truthfully without going into great detail. "we didn't agree on some things and they let me go, I learned from it and have moved on and am ready to do great things for the Acme Plumbing team". The important thing after being fired is not to get caught being bitter or saying negative things about the previous employer, and move the question swiftly past what happened to what is going to happen when they hire your awesomeness.

I'm in a lovely situation where if I answer the question "why were you fired" truthfully, I would be telling a lie, because the reason I was fired was a lie to cover up the illegal reason I was fired. But if I'm truthful and tell them that, then I'm caught calling my former employer a liar and I can kiss that job goodbye.

Fortunately nobody has asked me directly.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Why does this sound more like a morality tale than a true story?
Thanks, really for your opinion. I do wonder why you felt the need to comment?

Although, feel free to see this as a morality tale. Often, the things we see in others point directly to flaws we see in ourselves. So, maybe this helped you.

Cheers.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:00 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
I wouldn't preen my feathers too flamboyantly while parading around on this particular high horse. Remember we've just come out of a very dog eat dog hiring environment that lasted for years, and truth be told, could come back at any minute. It's understandable that old mindsets persist. A fella's gotta put food on his table after all.

Besides, in your situation you were not fired for cause, and people who suggest less candor in this regard are usually assuming a circumstance where the firing would directly effect their reputation and ability to be hired elsewhere.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:49 AM

9,404 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Ah yes, the person who came on here asking how to spin a quick termination to potential new employers, then people give you solutions and you get incredulous and tell them you're going to tell the truth regardless.

I still can't understand the point of that post or this one if you already knew what you were going to do. As someone said on that post, every resume and nearly every explanation as to why you left a company are almost always stretching the truth. "I left for more money" is a common reason yet you'd never want to state that..."I left for more growth opportunity." Yeah, right.

But hey, City-Data is ripe with these sorts of posts, people get SUCH a rush explaining how perfect and pious they are. Hope it served you well.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:37 AM

1,063 posts, read 697,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I wouldn't preen my feathers too flamboyantly while parading around on this particular high horse. Remember we've just come out of a very dog eat dog hiring environment that lasted for years, and truth be told, could come back at any minute. It's understandable that old mindsets persist. A fella's gotta put food on his table after all.

Besides, in your situation you were not fired for cause, and people who suggest less candor in this regard are usually assuming a circumstance where the firing would directly effect their reputation and ability to be hired elsewhere.
It's still dog eat dog. Millions underemployed and on the other side hiring mangers who claim they cannot find anyone. They don't want to train and refuse to believe it's a seller's market so they let the job stay open 2-3 years and the company leaking money because the job isn't getting done.

The next recession will be in part due to this dynamic, all of these unfilled positions are a drain on the economy. Because the finance team will then rescind the budget which will then show up as a "loss job" on the Labor Dept counts. Then investors will react negatively to the "loss" of a job that was never going to be filled in the first place because it was overseen by a complete and total buffoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment