Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 06:53 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
Well Johnson City, TN is the 7th largest metro in TN...
https://nurse.org/articles/50-state-...ost-of-living/

According to this article, TN is 43rd in terms of RN pay ($58k average), while CA at #1 is $101k

You can get your nursing ed in TN, but leave for higher pay elsewhere?
A lot of people end up doing this.

I work in IT. I made $14/hr starting out locally. After a few years of that, I got fed up with the low pay and moved to Iowa. The same role with the same size company (F500 level) paid $8/hr more in Iowa. That's over 50%. My cost of living went up, nominally, but nowhere near enough to make that level of pay increase.

I'd wager something like nursing is similar. If you aren't coming to Tennessee from a higher wage place, you are going to make peanuts compared to other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 09:01 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,426,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
Shifting between days and nights is not healthy, increases disease(diabetes etc.) and shortens life span. Look into Circadian Rhythm
That is not true! There are MANY, MANY of us 65+ RNs now retired who worked 12 hr nights x 45+ years. Also, plenty of police, EMS, Firefighters are old, alive and well.
Some of us are genetically predispositioned to being night owls. My Grandma worked her whole life on nights as a waitress in Miami Beach serving the Hollywood elite and wealthy.
I have been a night owl (per my mom) since age 2 yrs and always sought evenings and nights in any position I took in both EMS & then as an ER RN.
My son, now age 26, was a night owl in my belly...awakening and active from 2030 to about 0700 every single night. He goes to University classes from 1400-2000 studying Business & Finance. He plays video games on the night shift with thousands of other 'gamers' arohnd the World who are nnight owls and he is healthy. If working nights was SO HORRIBLE a third of the population would be dead early. I'm not sure who does these 'studies' but maybe they are jealous day shifters who are biased.
I might start a night owl C/D forum!

Old 05-02-2018, 09:03 AM

901 posts, read 747,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
That is not true! There are MANY, MANY of us 65+ RNs now retired who worked 12 hr nights x 45+ years. Also, plenty of police, EMS, Firefighters are old, alive and well.
Some of us are genetically predispositioned to being night owls. My Grandma worked her whole life on nights as a waitress in Miami Beach serving the Hollywood elite and wealthy.
I have been a night owl (per my mom) since age 2 yrs and always sought evenings and nights in any position I took in both EMS & then as an ER RN.
My son, now age 26, was a night owl in my belly...awakening and active from 2030 to about 0700 every single night. He goes to University classes from 1400-2000 studying Business & Finance. He plays video games on the night shift with thousands of other 'gamers' arohnd the World who are nnight owls and he is healthy. If working nights was SO HORRIBLE a third of the population would be dead early. I'm not sure who does these 'studies' but maybe they are jealous day shifters who are biased.
I might start a night owl C/D forum!
Data > Anecdote

Old 05-02-2018, 09:08 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,426,368 times
Quote:
https://nursing.gsu.edu/academics/un...or-in-nursing/

I've looked at this, and since I have no science prereqs, I would still need to spend 2 years completing them before the accelerated program. Sure I could take more concurrently, but I'm not the biggest science fan, so I'd rather take my time.

Semester 1: Anatomy 1
Semester 2: Anatomy 2
Summer 1: Microbiology
Semester 3: Chemistry 1
Semester 4: Chemistry 2

I think my plan is, do good in prereqs, get ADN, become RN, get BSN maybe?

The BSN program at GSU is extremely competitive to get into, requires letters of recommendations (I haven't kept in touch with professors). The ADN, with my current GPA, and a good teas score, I think will be more attainable.
That sounds like a good plan. My input is when you get your ADN go work 3 yrs on a MED-SURG floor at a teaching hospital. It will give you an excellent 'base' and you will experience things that happen on M/S that you will use as a Nurse Practitioner hundreds of times over.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:09 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've always heard that is the most difficult course in any nursing program.
One of the local colleges dropped Chem as a requirement for Nursing... the Chem department said it was a mistake as it weeded out those more likely not to complete the program... I know the head of the Chem department and her prediction was spot on.

I work with several in the medical profession that have their BSN and do not have the State License... they work in Admin or Insurance Industry.

One thing to remember about nursing is the job is almost as varied as one's imagination...

Many RN's are in management roles... then there are the Public Health Nurses, School Nurses, Nurses that work in industry setting up Hiring protocol... plus a lot that work for Insurance Companies and then those that work in compliance doing inspections/investigations.

A friend got burned out being a floor nurse... for the last 12 years loves his job as an advice nurse... works from his living room and is full time with benefits.

I have worked with Diploma Nurses, those with AA and BSN and MSN and those that came through the military corpsman and challenged the state board... also those that studied in other countries and challenged the state board.

A Director of Nursing way back when I started worded in a Catholic Hospital... she was a Diploma Nurse and her order was a Nursing Order... amazing woman that encompassed everything good about nursing and no college degree... it took several to fill her roles when she retired at 72...

Still remember being sent to borrow equipment or supplies... she looked me straight in the eyes and said she is loaning to me and I am personally responsible for whatever I leave with... YES SISTER!

Old 05-02-2018, 09:37 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,250,342 times
Quote:
https://nursing.gsu.edu/academics/un...or-in-nursing/

I've looked at this, and since I have no science prereqs, I would still need to spend 2 years completing them before the accelerated program. Sure I could take more concurrently, but I'm not the biggest science fan, so I'd rather take my time.

Semester 1: Anatomy 1
Semester 2: Anatomy 2
Summer 1: Microbiology
Semester 3: Chemistry 1
Semester 4: Chemistry 2

The BSN program at GSU is extremely competitive to get into, requires letters of recommendations (I haven't kept in touch with professors). The ADN, with my current GPA, and a good teas score, I think will be more attainable.
This is sort of inaccurate upon reflection. Georgia State says I'm eligible to enroll in Associate of Nursing as long as I just complete 1 science course (Anatomy or Microbiology). I still have to complete the other science before graduating.

Chemistry is only required if I were to go back and pursue BSN later (or if I wanted to try to complete prereqs and try to apply for BSN, and based on admission rates, I don't want to gamble it). I did good in chemistry in HS, but it wasn't my favorite.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:18 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
no point doing ADN unless you are wanting to work some and take time off from school. the time commitment for ADN + pre-reqs is the same as BSN pretty much, cost is about the same too

really, all bachelor degrees for the first 2 years are pre-reqs anyway, the last 2 are degree specific. no different than your pre-req+adn except you get a bsn at end

you going the ADN route would be faster if you had the pre-reqs already, but you don't, so it isn't faster than BSN

its the same as the CRNA/NP route, by the time a nurse works their way up there, it would have been the same time commitment to go straight through med school and residency. Reason nurses go NP/CRNA route is because they wanted to be a nurse originally, then kept working their way up to that point without starting over as a med student

Old 05-02-2018, 11:21 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,250,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
no point doing ADN unless you are wanting to work some and take time off from school. the time commitment for ADN + pre-reqs is the same as BSN pretty much, cost is about the same too

really, all bachelor degrees for the first 2 years are pre-reqs anyway, the last 2 are degree specific. no different than your pre-req+adn except you get a bsn at end

you going the ADN route would be faster if you had the pre-reqs already, but you don't, so it isn't faster than BSN

its the same as the CRNA/NP route, by the time a nurse works their way up there, it would have been the same time commitment to go straight through med school and residency. Reason nurses go NP/CRNA route is because they wanted to be a nurse originally, then kept working their way up to that point without starting over as a med student
I have a phobia about chemistry... Maybe I should get over it, that would open up a lot more options. Even though Georgia State's nursing is really selective, I should be open to Kennesaw or community college BSNs?

So I'm admitted to Georgia State to take classes this summer/fall. I initially planned to just take anatomy in the summer. Maybe I can try chemistry and anatomy if I do the fall.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:24 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
I have a phobia about chemistry...
If you can't do chemistry then don't do nursing... Watching someone die is worse than chemistry

All nurses have a patient die on them in their career at some point

Old 05-02-2018, 01:34 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Been rejected twice. Have a Bachelor's Degree with 2.7 GPA, 3.0 Science GPA, 73 on the TEAS, I am a male, and 10 year's of hospital/healthcare experience.

Been going at this since 2016 rejected twice. Only opition left are pay my way in and take it at a private 2 year college that cost about $45K to $50K. The other opition move to a State with less competition and more colleges.

In my State they are shutting down programs, only 1 part time program, and not flexible for working students.

Also may be a bit jaded but it seems like a money game. Get rejected and rejected then you have to restart all over with prereqs because they have a 5 year shelf life most of them. It stinks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment