Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 07:08 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modegirl79 View Post
I work in a specialized area of HR. Wish I didn’t, but I do. So I don’t know every little thing there is to know. I do absolutely nothing with time off because it’s not part of what I do. And while my company is large overall, it’s not very sophisticated, so this kind of information is hard to come by. And, FYI, I actually have a Masters Degree in HR, but even then, it’s impossible to know every little detail.

We do build in time off assumptions into project plans. And this individual has three days left for the YEAR, until January. Given all the time taken off in a matter of less than five months, do you honestly think three days is going to be enough for the rest of the YEAR?! I don’t.

I agree. There are certainly days that might be unexpected. But when it’s every day off that’s spur of the moment, that’s absolutely an issue.

I don’t feel as though reasons are necessary when taking time off. But what happens when the PTO goes negative? How many “unpaid” days could then be alllowed? Is it essentially limitless unless the company chooses to terminate because of absenteeism? I mean, if this person ends up taking unpaid day after unpaid day, let’s say 20 days unpaid on top of the 20 PTO, what’s really stopping anyone else from requesting “extra” time off? I just feel there has to be a breaking point at some point. Otherwise, it becomes an issue of special treatment/favoritism, which is quite unfair to everyone else out there who is following the rules.
You keep making excuses for how little you know yet you persist in your worries about something only her management needs to be concerned with. If she is affecting YOUR work directly because of days off then make people aware of that. But until that happens, stop "borrowing trouble". She hasn't gone into negative PTO yet - but you seem to be waiting with bated breath so you can gleefully go off on her. Calm down and butt out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 07:48 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
Or, he has the option to take time off, without pay, provided management approves.
Yes.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:49 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,144,574 times
maybe you should MYOB

Old 05-09-2018, 07:54 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I disagree there is no right or wrong way to take PTO.

There should be flexibility for unexpected reasons resulting from things like illness and catastrophes but most PTO should be scheduled. Random and frequent unscheduled absences is disruptive to both work flow and office environment.
But I did mean that it should be scheduled. That's what I meant when I said that it should be approved. I always scheduled mine. I never used it spur of the moment. I planned ahead in January and submitted my requests then for the whole year. Usually I would take all my PTO in the summer. Since I submitted the requests so early it was usually approved.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:07 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
we get 5 weeks vacation a year. we had this one guy that took every monday off, with five weeks that 25 weeks he could do that. on about the ninth week in a row, he was fired, for not coming in on monday. the reason, if we dont need you for all those mondays, we really dont need you

Old 05-09-2018, 08:27 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
This really depends on company policy. As long as this employee is following policy, I see no issues. It may be unwise to burn all of your PTO early in your fiscal year, but unless company policy prohibits it, why get involved?

If this employee does burn through all PTO and wants/needs more time off, there are several options, depending on specific circumstances, company policy, employment contracts and state and federal law. Simplified:

If employee wants more vacation time, company can grant time off w/o pay, or deny. If employee takes time off without permission, they can be fired for cause.

If they need time off for medical reasons, they can take FMLA, workers comp, short or long term disability, if they qualify and if available. There are legal regulations governing eligibility, duration and compensation.

Overall I don’t see a problem unless the employee violates policy or law. I am on track to take 7 weeks of vacation between Jan 1 and the end of July, and it isn’t a problem. I have the time available, I am balancing my workload, I am getting permission. Why should anybody take issue with that?

Old 05-09-2018, 08:28 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
we get 5 weeks vacation a year. we had this one guy that took every monday off, with five weeks that 25 weeks he could do that. on about the ninth week in a row, he was fired, for not coming in on monday. the reason, if we dont need you for all those mondays, we really dont need you
I am confident there is more to this story.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:58 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
It's their PTO, they are allowed to use it. As long as the they are following company policy there is nothing wrong with what they are doing. I use most of mine in the summer because I don't want to get stuck using it all in Oct-Dec.

You're concerned about them going in the red and it hasn't even happened yet. The company will deal with it as they see fit, should that actually happen.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:42 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,883,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
But I did mean that it should be scheduled. That's what I meant when I said that it should be approved. I always scheduled mine. I never used it spur of the moment. I planned ahead in January and submitted my requests then for the whole year. Usually I would take all my PTO in the summer. Since I submitted the requests so early it was usually approved.
Not judging you! I was referring to the OP's co-worker which reads like she is taking many unscheduled days.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:12 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
The title of the thread is misleading. There is no overuse of PTO until the employee goes negative. Should it put up a red flag...meh... maybe a yellow flag. I know every company is different, but at all places I've worked, it is common courtesy to give a reasonable amount of notice for any time off. Of course, sometimes this isn't possible (you just got sick, emergencies, family death, etc). If the company expects a little notice when using PTO and the employee never gives notice, I'd suspect the possibility that they are job shopping. Interviews are commonly done during business hours, so there is no way to avoid taking time off for it.

Another possibility is that the employee simply dreads his job and this will all come to a head when PTO runs out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment