Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 01:30 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,120,088 times

Advertisements

If you have degrees and extensive work experience and have had such a hard time finding work that you have become homeless is the problem you or the society in which you live.

Is it insanity to apply for the 200th job from a library computer or to work on finding a new country or home?

I mean how many times can you tweak your resume, do free work (ie voluenteer work), put on a new suit, etc?

Do other countries have government agencies who act as a sort of clearing house that welcome resumes and applications to see if your skill sets, personality, etc are a match for their nation and then facilitate your arrival. Rather than the USA where you just have to sort of randomly go out and apply to what ever you can find. I realize that this might sound like crazy talk for life in the USA but I cant imagine that every single country in the world operates like the USA does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 01:55 AM

263 posts, read 234,390 times
Your description is vague and you dont mention what jobs are you looking for. Look, nobody on the job market looks for humans. They look for products to exploit. Work around that idea ans you will find job.

Network with people and find job through connection rather than shoot with online applications.

We have what you call career centers offered by colleges and cities or states, but they are pretty much useless. Nobody with connections to advanced industries like computer science amd related specializations like machine learning work in career center to work for low salary. You just gotta find friend who works there.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:26 AM

801 posts, read 548,105 times
If I am unable to find work with a degree and extensive work experience attached to it, I would say my field of work have become obsolete...

Last edited by Liar_Liar; 05-17-2018 at 02:47 AM..

Old 05-17-2018, 03:14 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Can we please stop believing that having a degree is a guarantee of a great, easy life.

The individual person is ultimately responsible for the condition of their life. The degree has nothing to do with it.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:43 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,665,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
If you have degrees and extensive work experience and have had such a hard time finding work that you have become homeless is the problem you or the society in which you live.
Well, "society" isn't going to moan and suffer and go cold and hungry. The "you" in your example is, so that "you" ought to be at least acting as if they own the problem.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:47 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,339,345 times
I only know one person who was homeless after getting a degree. She started back to community college some time in her late 20s, then transferred to a regional state university in Nashville. She's always worked, but low end jobs and didn't make much income. She lived out of her while a student for awhile. I think she's doing better now, but I don't really keep in touch.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:06 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,104,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post

Is it insanity to apply for the 200th job from a library computer or to work on finding a new country or home?

I mean how many times can you tweak your resume, do free work (ie voluenteer work), put on a new suit, etc?

Do other countries have government agencies who act as a sort of clearing house that welcome resumes and applications to see if your skill sets, personality, etc are a match for their nation and then facilitate your arrival. Rather than the USA where you just have to sort of randomly go out and apply to what ever you can find. I realize that this might sound like crazy talk for life in the USA but I cant imagine that every single country in the world operates like the USA does.
The answer is you find something doing whatever.

EVERY SINGLE DAY I see Help Wanted signs for pizza places and like restaurants.

BTW, there's people who live in my apartment building who don't work and haven't worked for many years. And they are able to live. Not high off the hog, mind you. But they pay rent and have a place to live.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:13 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,124,894 times
As having lived in a homeless shelter, everybody found a job within a month or two of going into the 18 month residency program. I was in the shelter by 20, due to family issues not personal issues.

Keeping it was another matter. Some guys ended up quitting, due to drug addiction. Others ended up in jail for selling drugs.

Once I got away from my toxic family and into the shelter, I did well. I took some bus tokens from the resident advisers and took the bus to the mall. I applied and landed a job in my first trip.

If you are having problems finding work, work the career counselors at the shelter.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:34 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
A college degree in what? Maybe you chose the wrong major to qualify for a paying job. What kind of extensive work experience? Some experience doesn't apply well. Or maybe the issue is a difficult personality and not work experience at all.

There are help wanted ads all over the place where I live and some of them are better pay than fast food. I'd say that a person who can't find a job is too picky and won't take what is available.

The homeles that i see are not homeless because they have a college degree and lots of work experience. So I'm suspecting the issue is you and your expectations, OP, and not society.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:36 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Can we please stop believing that having a degree is a guarantee of a great, easy life.

The individual person is ultimately responsible for the condition of their life. The degree has nothing to do with it.
I agree to an extent but a degree helps a lot. Some jobs will not hire people without them. They are requirements for many jobs and more opportunities will come your way if you have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment