Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 03:23 PM

5 posts, read 2,008 times

Advertisements

Hello All -

I need some really urgent advice since I have to make my decision fairly quickly. I live in Draper, UT and have been working in SLC for almost 15 years. I have received two offers and I’m not sure which one I should take. The total compensation is almost same for the both companies. Company A’s base pay is much higher (20% higher) but Company B would offer me a bonus every year (not performance based, it’s guaranteed providing I stay), which would make up for the difference. Company A is just amazing opportunity, international travel (which I absolutely love), respectful environment, reasonable working hours, and a publicly traded health care company; however it’s going to be at 40 – 75 minutes commute each way. Mind you, 36 minutes is when there is absolutely no traffic. Company B is also a good opportunity, fortune 500 tech company, great name to have on your resume; however, I have heard working hours suck but the commute is only 10 minutes each way. I have been reading online and everywhere it says that if one could shorten his commute, it’s better to go that route. Please, I have no idea what to do. This is especially hard because both are good companies. Opportunity wise, Company A is the winner but 2 hours in commute can mean a lot especially when I can use that time to be more active or do things that I would like to do. Thanks in advanced for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 03:41 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leejee View Post
I live in Draper, UT and have been working in SLC for almost 15 years.
I have received two offers and I’m not sure which one I should take.
The total compensation is almost same for the both companies.

Company A’s base pay is much higher (20% higher)
Company A is just amazing opportunity, international travel (which I absolutely love),
respectful environment, reasonable working hours, and a publicly traded health care company;
however it’s going to be at 40 – 75 minutes commute each way.
Only until you move closer.

Quote:
Company B would offer me a bonus every year
Company B is also a good opportunity, fortune 500 tech company, great name to have on your resume;
however, I have heard working hours suck but the commute is only 10 minutes each way.
So you won't have to move. That'll save you some cash.

Quote:
Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Where do you want to live?

Old 06-06-2018, 03:51 PM

MrRational, thanks for your reply! I don't want to move. I already have my own house in Draper. I'm not renting.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:00 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
Sounds like a couple of good options on the table.

If company A's commute is 40-75 minutes and company B has long hours it would seem that they are going to be about equal on time away from home as well.

I'm not going to make a decision for you since I'm not you and don't know your priorities but I would go with Company A for the international travel, better work-life balance, and nicer working environment. I despise companies that expect you to spend your life there; I have no problem giving a fair day's work but I'm not going to hang around for 12 hours every day just for appearances.

At this point, I would think about what is really more important to you for the next job--being closer to work, etc.

Are there any other differences between them? Does one seem to have better financials or maybe seem to have more advancement/training opportunities than the other? Vacation/benefits package differences?

If you take the job with Company A, are you open/able to relocation? If not then can you see yourself commuting long term? I have had several jobs where I have had commutes of 1+ hour each way. I generally did not mind the commute since I knew what I was getting into when I took the job. I enjoy driving but it's not something everyone likes. Since you are in Utah you already are aware that bad weather can turn an hour commute into a VERY long one if they are remiss in plowing/salting your route.

I guess another question/consideration would be if you felt you clicked better with one company better than the other.

Just a few more things to think about that might help a decision.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:15 PM

Thanks Marie! Compensation and benefits are essentially the same. Company A seems more like a employee friendly company. I personally wont want to relocate. I would have done that if I were renting. Company A is definitely a big and well respected name in Utah. My inclination to company B is more towards the name recognition. Think Facebook... People were nice at both places but I do know that company B is known for its cut throat type of culture as well as long working hours. I do agree that the long commute vs long hours cancel each other out but Company A will also have long hours but certainly not to that extent. Yeah, the commute can sometime get into my skin during winter.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:46 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leejee View Post
I do know that company B is known for its cut throat type of culture as well as long working hours.
Sounds like Amazon.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:15 PM

4,964 posts, read 2,711,215 times
I would suggest going with Company A. Even if it is a long commute, the pleasant working environment would more than make up for it.

Company B sounds like it would wear you down, despite the shorter commute. I also hate working for companies that try to extract as much work as they can from you in the form of overtime hours. That will wear you out and drive you up the wall with stress.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:20 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times
I’d go with company A. I would prefer to drive a ways in order to have a more pleasant work environment. Plus if you’re traveling the commute won’t be as often anyways. However I would think long and hard about the travel part having spent about a decade on the road myself. I love traveling, even for work, but if you have kids it can be tricky. That was my main reason for getting out of the travel positions. It can also eat into your weekends and morning/evenings. I felt very tired when I traveled a lot because the 6 am flights and getting home at midnight does wear on you.

That said if that doesn’t bother you then go for it. I would love to go back on the road once my child is out of the house and probably will.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:49 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,882 times
I would do A, but look into selling/renting out your Draper home and moving closer to work. You can also try to negotiate some telecommuting if possible. If travel is significant, you won't be spending much time at the office anyway.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:03 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Looks like Company A has just one con while Company B has more cons. The question is: Which of those cons can you tolerate more?

I'd go with Company A. However, I have a 70 minute commute and it doesn't really bother me so that's a non-factor for me.

What about Option C - staying where you are? Is that out of consideration?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment