Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 08:52 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,056,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
So, it is okay to blanket discriminate against anyone over 50, because they might not be able to do the job? Just throw them on the trash heap, 15 years short of retirement. Do you consider anyone over 50 to be "inferior"?

It seems to me that ability to do the job has always been a legitimate factor in hiring - no one is forcing you to hire someone who can't do the job. Basing your decision simply on age, however, is illegal.
It is not a matter of whether they can do the job. It is a matter of freedom of association. If I want to hire someone between 36 and 39 to do a job, that should be my right period. It is nobody else's business.

Age discrimination should be legal and the State should have NOTHING to say about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 08:59 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,056,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Not a job that would flat out reject your application based on your age, eh?

Your generalizations about the physical limitations of older workers are valid for laborer positions, but I don't believe they are for most jobs. Just how strong and energetic does one need to be in order to work at a computer?
Actually many older people have a whole host of physical problems and limitations that affect their ability to work for long periods of time on a computer. Eye problems, neck problems, back problems with sitting. Maybe I want to higher a younger person who is not going to be subject to all manner of limitations due to age. That needs to be my right in a free society.

I should be able to hire anyone I want, for any reason I want, with zero interference from the State.

A job should not be some magical relationship that enables State interference. It should be left to the free market and the choice of the individual.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:21 PM

2,448 posts, read 896,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Actually many older people have a whole host of physical problems and limitations that affect their ability to work for long periods of time on a computer. Eye problems, neck problems, back problems with sitting. Maybe I want to higher a younger person who is not going to be subject to all manner of limitations due to age. That needs to be my right in a free society.

I should be able to hire anyone I want, for any reason I want, with zero interference from the State.

A job should not be some magical relationship that enables State interference. It should be left to the free market and the choice of the individual.
Ah, the beauty of libertarianism. I too was once 20 and filled with sorts of fanciful ideas about my absolute right to do what I want. In short, "You can't tell me what to do!"

Then I grew up and gave up childish things.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:23 PM

2,448 posts, read 896,598 times
Given the current fad of self-identification and "lived experiences," I have decided that I identify as a 19 year-old black male and will henceforth fill out all applications according to these self-identifications. Problem solved! You fellow oldsters should consider it, too!

Old 06-16-2018, 02:07 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,039,423 times
Quote:
No, age and race are different topics. Ageism should be legal, ageism should be allowed. Most older people exhibit characteristics from aging that make them unable or unwilling to do a modern job well. Whether it's energy, learning, skillset, what have you. Older people are cranky, entitled, know-it-ally, etc. With exceptions. But as a rule, you hire an old person you're often going to run into problems. Younger workers are hungrier, have more energy, are physically stronger, don't get sick as much, and can be ordered around more easily. They are simply better in general at performing tasks.

Race is the wavelength at which light is reflected from one's skin. It's not related to working ability.

It is irrational for most jobs to discriminate based on an irrelevant factor such as light reflectivity. So we don't go for that.

But old people? It's rational and logical to be very careful in hiring them. They often cannot do the job as well as a younger person, and we have NO RIGHT to force people to hire inferior workers.

Please no stories about Herculean old people who can work a 20 year old under the table. We all know the anecdoes and the exceptions. They exist. If I was being hired, I would be an exception. But your typical 50-80 year old is often not going to be as good a choice as a young and unencumbered idealistic aggressive younger person. That is just a fact of life.

I believe we should move back towards being allowed to discriminate more carefully. Race is not on the table and should never be. But age, marital status, whether or not you have kids, credit score, personality, disposition, etc? All should be valid criteria in deciding whether and when to hire a worker. Freedom of association should be the presumption.

LMAO! Of course you'd be the exception! this forum is a gold mine of comedy.

Old 06-16-2018, 02:26 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,039,423 times
[quote=Marc Paolella;52191772]You are correct. My ideas on this won't fly, because we've abandoned our core principles and have given in to the Euro-trash model of collectivism and political correctness, and worship of weakness, and contempt for personal responsibility. We will never expect people to take basic measures to assure their own effectiveness. Instead we will eternally be trying to solve the irresponsibility of one group by stealing responsibility from other groups. Until we implode and actually BECOME Europe. Thank God I won't be old when that happens, I'll be dead. Today, we do have ways to hire who we want. It takes a little finesse and cleverness, but it can be done.[/QUOTE-
why exactly, does it rustle your jimmies so much that discrimination in the workforce is technically illegal?
Since you're so elite, and apparently never age, why so upset about it? Does Seeing a lot of older folks get shut out in the job market because they don't have the Paolella Superior Genes, make you feel MORE elite?
Not sure why your knickers get knotted over discrimination being illegal.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:27 AM

5,035 posts, read 7,240,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Not a job that would flat out reject your application based on your age, eh?

Just how strong and energetic does one need to be in order to work at a computer?

Seriously. A half blind circus monkey could do most office work.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:51 AM

7,243 posts, read 4,563,189 times
Quote:
Age discrimination should be legal and the State should have NOTHING to say about it.
Well I tend to agree that I find older people unable to work as well as their younger counterparts. Typically they have attitude, can't learn, are unpleasant, and imho have 40+ years of baggage to talk about at work. While young people generally have little to say, are happy, do their work and make they workplace better. It is not about salary so much.

All discrimination has basis in reality.

That being said, it is not in society's interest to allow this and that is where the government has to step in. Bottom line, if people can't work after age 40 it is going to put a big strain on the government and destroy families.

Older people should just accept the situation and (1) retrain into fields that need employees; (2) start businesses that take market share from corporations.

The real problem imho is that employers have grown too strong because people were taught the "work for someone else" go to college model. They do what they want, when they want, with no one in a position to challenge them.

The irony though is that I find millennials seem to know this. There are big movements for them to gain financial independence by 50. Called "fire".

Old 06-16-2018, 07:45 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,579,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I don't know what the big deal is. If you are old, then you know right upfront they don't want you. So you don't waste your time with them. Would the complainers feel better if that company had used a more vague ad to hide their true intention of not hiring old people but the end result would be exactly the same: no old people will be hired?

Here's a clue: it's illegal.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:03 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,579,633 times
Quote:
It is not a matter of whether they can do the job. It is a matter of freedom of association. If I want to hire someone between 36 and 39 to do a job, that should be my right period. It is nobody else's business.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment