Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 08:25 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,054,626 times

Advertisements

[quote=LeaveWI;52212865]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You are correct. My ideas on this won't fly, because we've abandoned our core principles and have given in to the Euro-trash model of collectivism and political correctness, and worship of weakness, and contempt for personal responsibility. We will never expect people to take basic measures to assure their own effectiveness. Instead we will eternally be trying to solve the irresponsibility of one group by stealing responsibility from other groups. Until we implode and actually BECOME Europe. Thank God I won't be old when that happens, I'll be dead. Today, we do have ways to hire who we want. It takes a little finesse and cleverness, but it can be done.[/QUOTE-
why exactly, does it rustle your jimmies so much that discrimination in the workforce is technically illegal?
Since you're so elite, and apparently never age, why so upset about it? Does Seeing a lot of older folks get shut out in the job market because they don't have the Paolella Superior Genes, make you feel MORE elite?
Not sure why your knickers get knotted over discrimination being illegal.

Because the State, in the free society I want and envision, has no place interfering in private relationships. Plus, the discrimination works both ways. I should be able to discriminate only in favor of older people if I feel they match what I want done. For most areas in which I personally would be hiring, 40 would be the sweet spot. So I would be discriminating in favor of the middle aged. But I want the freedom for everyone to favor whatever age they want. If I run a 2 person lawn care service and I'm male and 50 and want a version of myself to work along side of me. That's who I'm going to hire. The State can't tell me who or how or why or how much. If I am a 22 year old female running my new 3-person office cleaning service, and I want 2 other YOUNG - WOMEN to work with me, then THAT is who I'm going to hire. If some 50 year old dude applies, he's out. That's not who I want to be spending my working day with at that stage of my life. The State should no more tell you who you can hire than who you can be friends with. Period. Total, 100% Freedom of Association and Disassociation.

If I'm casting my movie and the main characters are a 6 1/2 foot black dude with a bodybuilder physique and hot 22 year old white female blond adonisette, THAT'S who I am going to hire. I am going to pick, choose, discriminate, exclude, include, accept, or reject ANYONE I want for any or no reason. It's my damned movie and I'll cast who I want. All workplaces should operate just like that. The person hiring is the BOSS and will decide who he or she is going to hire based on their own needs and wants. I don't accept other people in the form of the State sticking their nose in and having any input or control over this free association.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 03:59 PM

8,075 posts, read 8,381,653 times
Quote:
It is not a matter of whether they can do the job. It is a matter of freedom of association. If I want to hire someone between 36 and 39 to do a job, that should be my right period. It is nobody else's business.

Age discrimination should be legal and the State should have NOTHING to say about it.
Based on that argument, racial discrimination should be legal and the State should have NOTHING to say about it. If you want to hire only "white" people to do a job, that should be your right.

Uh, no, not if the majority say's NO, and passes laws to enact it. What you are opposed to is democracy, itself - what you want is each "king" in his castle, surrounded by chaos.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Based on that argument, racial discrimination should be legal and the State should have NOTHING to say about it. If you want to hire only "white" people to do a job, that should be your right.

Uh, no, not if the majority say's NO, and passes laws to enact it. What you are opposed to is democracy, itself - what you want is each "king" in his castle, surrounded by chaos.
I don't care what the majority says. The majority be damned. We don't live under majority rule, and never did, don't now, and never will. A major purpose of the Constitution is to protect us from the tyranny of the majority.

By the way this is New Godwin's Law. We simply substitute race for Hitler. I'm not playing.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:05 PM

8,075 posts, read 8,381,653 times
Quote:
I don't care what the majority says. The majority be damned. We don't live under majority rule, and never did, don't now, and never will. A major purpose of the Constitution is to protect us from the tyranny of the majority.

By the way this is New Godwin's Law. We simply substitute race for Hitler. I'm not playing.
So, you don't believe in democracy, that's clear. What do you propose to replace it with?

You brought up Hitler, not me... Race is perfectly relevant, in that your rationale for age discrimination provides carte blanche for any and all discrimination: racial, ethnic, religious, sexual, etc. If you can't defend it, then don't.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 06-16-2018 at 07:30 PM..

Old 06-17-2018, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
So, you don't believe in democracy, that's clear. What do you propose to replace it with?
A free republic where the citizens are allowed total and unrestrained Freedom of Association and its corollary: Disassociation.

We can get there under our present system which allows for protection from the tyranny of the majority. The Supreme Court did a little bit of that just that not 3 days ago.

Just because we've temporarily surrendered to political correctness and invoked irrational age discrimination laws does not means we are condemned to stay that bad course. It can be reversed. Everything can be reversed. All it takes is time and smarter citizens.

Quote:
You brought up Hitler, not me... Race is perfectly relevant, in that your rationale for age discrimination provides carte blanche for any and all discrimination: racial, ethnic, religious, sexual, etc. If you can't defend it, then don't.
It's not relevant. Age and race are different subjects. This thread is specifically about age discrimination. Race hustling is a hijack. Focus and stay on topic. Age. Only age.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Here's a clue: it's illegal.
For now. All things can be changed. Including politically correct madness. It's already starting.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:06 AM

696 posts, read 907,819 times
[quote=Marc Paolella;52214182]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post

Because the State, in the free society I want and envision, has no place interfering in private relationships. Plus, the discrimination works both ways. I should be able to discriminate only in favor of older people if I feel they match what I want done. For most areas in which I personally would be hiring, 40 would be the sweet spot. So I would be discriminating in favor of the middle aged. But I want the freedom for everyone to favor whatever age they want. If I run a 2 person lawn care service and I'm male and 50 and want a version of myself to work along side of me. That's who I'm going to hire. The State can't tell me who or how or why or how much. If I am a 22 year old female running my new 3-person office cleaning service, and I want 2 other YOUNG - WOMEN to work with me, then THAT is who I'm going to hire. If some 50 year old dude applies, he's out. That's not who I want to be spending my working day with at that stage of my life. The State should no more tell you who you can hire than who you can be friends with. Period. Total, 100% Freedom of Association and Disassociation.

If I'm casting my movie and the main characters are a 6 1/2 foot black dude with a bodybuilder physique and hot 22 year old white female blond adonisette, THAT'S who I am going to hire. I am going to pick, choose, discriminate, exclude, include, accept, or reject ANYONE I want for any or no reason. It's my damned movie and I'll cast who I want. All workplaces should operate just like that. The person hiring is the BOSS and will decide who he or she is going to hire based on their own needs and wants. I don't accept other people in the form of the State sticking their nose in and having any input or control over this free association.
So if you should bring a client by to my currently listed home in Morris County, NJ are you OK with my telling you both to hit the bricks because I disagree with your in your face libertarianism? TANSTAAFL!

Old 06-17-2018, 09:18 AM

[quote=sonetlumiere;52220892]
Quote:

So if you should bring a client by to my currently listed home in Morris County, NJ are you OK with my telling you both to hit the bricks because I disagree with your in your face libertarianism? TANSTAAFL!
That would not be an intelligent action, and you would be acting against your own interests, but under my system of ethics, it would be permitted.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:29 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,234,302 times
Do not feed the troll. The thread got derailed due to his cheerleading of age discrimination.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:00 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,949,696 times
Quote:
Absolutely. The State has no right to price fix the cost of labor. Price fixing is illegal, except when practiced by the State? Absurd. Gambling is immoral. Except when run by the State? Equally absurd and hypocritical. Wages should be set by the employer and the employee based on supply and demand. There should be no minimum wage. It is an immoral form of State-sponsored theft.

Child labor laws are unnecessary. A parent can decide when to allow their child to work and what jobs they can do. It is not a matter for the State to get involved in.

We need total separation of Economics and State.

Marc-

I've watched your posts now for awhile. At times you offer interesting insight and perspective, but when it comes to your position on this issue there is a big problem that I never see you address or even acknowledge.

You see, this supply/demand worker relationship is not based on an even playing field. The worker assumes full liability, where the corporation is by nature limited in its liability. When you consider also the lobbying power of these corporations, that tends towards legislation that plays games with the supply/demand dynamic that you often reference. This takes many forms, whether they be monopolies or artificially high barriers to entry of would be competition. Also, the lack of collective bargaining power of most employees whether would be or present.

Bottom line: it's not an even playing field nor a fair negotiation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment