Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 06:52 PM

30,273 posts, read 11,895,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Good. That's one point. Helpful to those who live in Forth Worth. Let's keep that going. That way others can be helped.
Not just there. I have a family member that graduated a year ago and got their teaching credential. There are endless school districts that pay more than $50K to start. She had job offers all over the country. Most school districts are short staffed and they send out recruiters to hire graduates. And many of her offers and friends of hers who graduated were over $50k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 06:56 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,592,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I already answered that. Have a nice time residing in the blocked bucket. You're an irritant to this group.
People are better at ordering for couple of people at once than a machine, which cannot really do several at once. He's kind of got a point.

Besides, there is another factor that people keep forgetting: not everyone is good with touch screens. I know I'd be peeved if I accidentally hit the wrong button and got my order wrong and didn't know it till the order shows up. At least with a human, you have to actually say the order. With a machine, there are a bunch of opportunities to mess up an order from the customer's side that aren't there when there's a human behind the counter.

I'll admit that I like the extra flavors of the touch screen drink dispensers in Wendy's, but they are harder to use than the traditional ones.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:14 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,592,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm all for automation, but we're going to have to provide a universal basic income if it continues to accelerate. Once you get beyond jobs requiring advanced degrees and skilled trades, there is very little that can't be automated. Indeed, with technology, the need for many of those more skilled jobs can be partially replaced by technology, so nobody is really safe. My job as a writer can to a certain extent be automated. Not all those jobs will be replaced by alternative employment - that's kind of the point. So yeah, tax dollars are going to have to replace some of what we are "saving" or it will be a disaster.
Writing will be one of the LAST to fall to automation. If robots can write good stories on their own, we're ALL in trouble! Pretty much every other job, minus elite jobs (government and corporate head) will be eliminated before a robot could write Romeo and Juliet (on its own if it'd never been written before) or The Lord of the Rings.

Besides, as someone else pointed out, angry starving peasants barely getting by would knock out the power grid or detonate an EMP to end the lush lifestyle of the elites at our expense well before that point was hit.

Also, speaking of writing, I've just got the answer to something that was giving me writers block to a novel I was writing: how to defeat a bunch of data centers for a data-mining centrally planned economy by just attacking one large city. And now I have the answer: take out the power grid.

Last edited by MongooseHugger; 06-25-2018 at 07:28 PM..

Old 06-26-2018, 08:32 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,631,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
prices will go up, but perhaps not as rapidly. If they rise as they have, fast food dies, as casual dining steals their customer base up.

McD's can easily utilize automation to vastly increase its output per employee.
When you eliminate human employment, output per employee becomes a meaningless metric. It only matters when employee wages are the key expense of an organization.

When a McDonald's location is razed to the ground and rebuilt every few years to meet some new corporate guideline or franchise requirement, eliminating cashiers is NOT a key business decision.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have seen several "Help Wanted" signs or ads lately that specifically state that no experience is required and that they will train, all at $14/hour or more to start at:

2 different quick oil change places (Glad I don't use them)
A local fast food Mexican food chain
Construction helpers
A local chicken wing fast food restaurant
A sandwich shop
An animal hospital
Aren't you in an area with a ridiculously high cost of living in regards to housing? $14 per hour there is less livable than minimum wage would be in most of the Midwest.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:58 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,902,108 times
Short of Workers, Fast-Food Restaurants Turn to Robots

https://www.wsj.com/articles/short-o...s&page=1&pos=1

Quote:
John Miller, chief executive and founder of CaliBurger LLC, finds it harder to find employees these days. His solution is Flippy, a robot that turns the burgers and cleans the hot, greasy grill.

The chain plans to install Flippy in up to ten of its 50 restaurants by year end. CaliBurger doesn’t intend to kick humans to the curb as a result. Flippy will handle the gruntwork, freeing employees to tidy the dining rooms and refill drinks, less arduous work that might make it easier to recruit and retain workers.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:02 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,902,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Unless things change in the catch-22 of employment is solved, what will happen is we will have a growing underclass of people who did what the experts told them to do - get degrees/skills/certifications in fields that have value - and wind up getting rejected for not having experience, and then working McJobs.
Your "if X then Y" assertion is not compelling from an economics perspective, as it assumes X to be true, when it clearly is not -- and even if X were true, Y is not a necessary consequence. It is not compelling from a data-driven analysis perspective either.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:18 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,702,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
As a counterpoint to the McDonald's Kiosk, I went by a Chic-fil-A fast food restaurant today. There were at least 30 cars in the drive-through lanes (there are two drive through lanes). I counted 4 Chic-fil-A employees walking up and down the aisles of cars, taking orders, and instructing drivers in the two lanes to merge. I also saw 1 outside cashier, walking up & down the aisles collecting payment.

It was very efficient.

No kiosks.
Well, it is difficult to install kiosks in a drive-thru.

Chik-Fil-A has implemented online ordering, which really helps when the lines are long.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Agree - and it is nothing of which to be afraid.

About 118 years ago, a bit over 60% of the US population was directly involved with farming, ranching and agriculture. Today, it is less than 4%.

Imagine that you could go back in time to 1900 & tell learned scholars, politicians and farmers that in far-off 2018 less than 4% of the nation's population would be directly involved in agriculture.

Then imagine you asked them, "what do you think all the other people will do for a living?"

Chances are none of them would guess "network administrator," "web designer," "search engine optimization engineer," "industrial robot tech," "radiologist," "professional MMA fighter," "professional football player," "cinematographer," "sound supervisor," "microprocessor architect," "telemarketer," "YouTube Star" "water treatment engineer" "photolithography engineer" "nuclear power plant engineer" "HVAC technician" "Kardashian" or the like.

We don't know what the future holds -- it is exceedingly difficult to accurately forecast the future. For example, back in the 1900 New York City had a population of 100,000 horses. On average a horse will produce between 15 and 35 pounds of manure per day. Each horse also produces several pints of urine per day. To make things worse, the average life expectancy for a working horse was only around 3 years. Horse carcasses therefore also had to be removed from the streets of New York. The bodies were often left to putrefy so the corpses could be more easily sawn into pieces for removal.

It wasn't just NYC -- this was true of every major city in the world. In fact, The Times newspaper predicted… “In 50 years, every street in London will be buried under 10 feet of manure.”

The terrible situation was debated in 1898 at the world’s first International Urban Planning Conference dedicated to this smelly situation in New York. The conference disbanded early as no solution could be found or even imagined. It seemed urban civilisation was doomed.

Well, the futurists were wrong.
Nobody would have asked THAT question.

They would ask "what do you think all the farmers who will lose their farms or farming jobs will do for a living?"

And the true answer would have been "Older farmers will retire. Tens of thousands will die in wars on foreign soil, hundreds of thousands will be injured in same and receive government disability checks. Millions will be forced to seek menial employment in low-paying, dangerous, mostly unregulated mining or industrial environments, or working farming jobs for huge corporations at subsistence wages. A substantial number will turn to criminal activities like bootlegging and theft. The lucky ones will end up in unionized factories and make a good living."

Not quite the rosy picture you are trying to paint, is it? Not ONE of those displaced farm workers transitioned to the positions you mentioned.

I don't care what kinds of jobs the great-grandchildren of the displaced will have. I have to live in the here & now.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:29 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,810,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Did you hurt it???????????
I refrained from swinging a roundhouse and only poked them a few times...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment