Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 11:17 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,825,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
You didn't address my point.

When the kiosk is the only way to order and you have 12 people standing behind you, will you be happy? Hope you can order in 15 seconds - hurry!
I already answered that. Have a nice time residing in the blocked bucket. You're an irritant to this group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 11:21 AM

30,329 posts, read 11,955,581 times
Quote:
What education or training can get one a job that gives middle class salaries (50K or above) without experience?

Fill in the blanks.

"All you have to do is get a ___________ (degree? certificate? Certification?) in _____________ (field of study) and __________ (employer name) will hire you fresh out of school with zero experience and you'll be able to enter the middle class."

Education. I saw this huge billboard in OKC. Ft. Worth teachers starting pay $58k.

That is just off the top of my head.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:26 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,253,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Education. I saw this huge billboard in OKC. Ft. Worth teachers starting pay $58k.

That is just off the top of my head.
Good. That's one point. Helpful to those who live in Forth Worth. Let's keep that going. That way others can be helped.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:58 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,844,055 times
Quote:
I disagree. Such a "nominal guaranteed annual income" has the same dehumanizing philosophy behind it. We're basically telling people "you are worthless, take this money and go away."
I must disagree.
The first dehumanizing aspect is the many hoops and hurdles and evasions and 'adjustments' one must endure to secure the benefits, not to mention the lies that inevitably percolate throughout the whole mess.
And then they get to 'take this money and go away' rather shamefully as well.

If everyone received a benefit until they finished their education much of the stigma would be removed.
But don't worry, once an adult they will still occupy a much lower status than those of us who work, earn, and live an independent life.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,730,333 times
Quote:
You didn't address my point.

When the kiosk is the only way to order and you have 12 people standing behind you, will you be happy? Hope you can order in 15 seconds - hurry!
When I go to Safeway or any other supermarket with Self-check, the lines there are longer than at the staffed check stands. At the two places we frequent most they added more self check due to the demand. Many people (like me) seem to prefer it. Some of it has to do with the annoying canned clerk chat such as "did you find everything?" or "how is your day going?" which is almost robotic, and any response goes unacknowledged. Are you doing unpaid work for them? No, not any more than paying utility bills, cell phone bill, rent or mortgage online is doing work for those companies, who have a staff paid to process payments mailed in or paid in person at their office.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:02 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,356,350 times
...and when the grid eventually goes down (it's no longer a question of 'if' but rather 'when') all of you who have become so-accustomed to relying on anything & everything OTHER than your own helpless, spoiled, over-entitled selves (to simply survive) WILL suffer for it.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:05 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,922,785 times
Quote:
And since the OP is not getting a discount, this is corporate welfare.
No, it is not.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:34 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,922,785 times
As a counterpoint to the McDonald's Kiosk, I went by a Chic-fil-A fast food restaurant today. There were at least 30 cars in the drive-through lanes (there are two drive through lanes). I counted 4 Chic-fil-A employees walking up and down the aisles of cars, taking orders, and instructing drivers in the two lanes to merge. I also saw 1 outside cashier, walking up & down the aisles collecting payment.

It was very efficient.

No kiosks.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:25 PM

17,694 posts, read 13,512,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
decided to hit the local McD's.
Did you hurt it???????????

Old 06-25-2018, 04:53 PM

1,307 posts, read 864,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm all for automation, but we're going to have to provide a universal basic income if it continues to accelerate. Once you get beyond jobs requiring advanced degrees and skilled trades, there is very little that can't be automated. Indeed, with technology, the need for many of those more skilled jobs can be partially replaced by technology, so nobody is really safe. My job as a writer can to a certain extent be automated. Not all those jobs will be replaced by alternative employment - that's kind of the point. So yeah, tax dollars are going to have to replace some of what we are "saving" or it will be a disaster.
You beat me to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment