Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 08:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,730,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
This is true. The prices on food have not gone down. It only saves the corporation money. They don't care about lowering prices for consumers.
No, it makes up for the increase in pay for the employees still there. In our area no one will work at McD or any other fast food place for less than $15.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 08:49 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,675,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
News flash: The job market is not unicorns and rainbows. Marketable skills don't matter if the employee has no experience in that marketable skill. People go back to school all the time, learn new marketable skills and then get rejected because there are no jobs that require no experience.

Add into the mix ageism and other stereotyping done by employers, and your comment doesn't fit reality.

Who told you we have a free market? We don't have capitalism here in the USA, we have crony capitalism.

So something that doesn't exist makes the decision. That's not reasonable.

Devaluing work and workers is not progress. Dehumanization is not progress.

To piggyback off of your first paragraph/point, if the person doesnt know the right people, thrn their marketable skills are useless.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:47 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,922,785 times
Quote:
Employers need to stop demanding 10 years experience and a bachelor's degree for entry level jobs.
The only place where employers demand 10 years experience & a bachelor's degree for entry level jobs is in a bookstore. In the Fiction aisle.

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 06-25-2018 at 10:29 AM..

Old 06-25-2018, 09:48 AM

30,329 posts, read 11,955,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
This is true. The prices on food have not gone down. It only saves the corporation money. They don't care about lowering prices for consumers.

One stays in business by selling your items at the highest price point your customers are willing to pay. Businesses and corporations are beholden to shareholders and if they are privately held to the ownership, management, and staff. If they lower prices its because of competition not doing some favor for their customers.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
it is corporate welfare.
No, it isn't.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:51 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,253,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
The only place where employers demand 10 years experience & a bachelor's degree for entry level jobs is in a bookstore. In the Fiction aisle.
I was using hyperbole to make a point. Clearly you missed that.

Many entry level jobs require 3-5 years experience and a bachelor's degree. There are zero that require no experience (except sales) - for recent grads, and career changers, 3-5 years might as well be 10 years.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:55 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,253,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
They will try to avid big hikes, as they fear casual dining.
They won't care about hikes. The dollar menu is long dead.

Quote:
I am not concerned how much CEO earns.

whatsoever.
I am.

How the CEO is paid tells me how they will run the business. Will they become daily ticker watchers making decisions that only serve to goose the stock price short term to get the bonus check, at the cost of long term sustainability?

I remember many businesses that I enjoyed going to that closed because of short-term-ism. Business management doesn't just work for the stockholders. There are other stakeholders at the table. The best management realizes this and makes long term sustainable decisions. Even if the ticker symbol shows red today.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
I am an economic conservative, but a nominal guaranteed annual income, replacing the expensive hodge-podge of bureaucratic, dehumanizing welfare entitlements may actually be the lesser of two inescapable evils.
Until then, who knows?
Sadly, there is no "...replacing the expensive hodge-podge of bureaucratic, dehumanizing welfare entitlements." All of the government employees involved in delivering the expensive hodge-podge work hard to elect representatives that will commit to the continuance of the expensive hodge-podge. The closest thing to perpetual life is a government program.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,730,333 times
Quote:
I was using hyperbole to make a point. Clearly you missed that.

Many entry level jobs require 3-5 years experience and a bachelor's degree. There are zero that require no experience (except sales) - for recent grads, and career changers, 3-5 years might as well be 10 years.
I have seen several "Help Wanted" signs or ads lately that specifically state that no experience is required and that they will train, all at $14/hour or more to start at:

2 different quick oil change places (Glad I don't use them)
A local fast food Mexican food chain
Construction helpers
A local chicken wing fast food restaurant
A sandwich shop
An animal hospital

Old 06-25-2018, 10:25 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,437,434 times
I'm all for automation, but we're going to have to provide a universal basic income if it continues to accelerate. Once you get beyond jobs requiring advanced degrees and skilled trades, there is very little that can't be automated. Indeed, with technology, the need for many of those more skilled jobs can be partially replaced by technology, so nobody is really safe. My job as a writer can to a certain extent be automated. Not all those jobs will be replaced by alternative employment - that's kind of the point. So yeah, tax dollars are going to have to replace some of what we are "saving" or it will be a disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment