Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 09:49 PM

66 posts, read 41,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
They know about the other job offer
In which case, is this a good scenario for me or bad? even IF they somehow figured it out?
Should I see this salary bump as a temporary bandaid for my manager until she comes back and possibly replacing me since she knows I was one foot out the door?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 09:55 PM

23,176 posts, read 12,294,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoOpUpUp View Post
In which case, is this a good scenario for me or bad? even IF they somehow figured it out?
Should I see this salary bump as a temporary bandaid for my manager until she comes back and possibly replacing me since she knows I was one foot out the door?

Usually I would say do not accept a counter offer for the reason you state, but in this case you did not make any salary increase demands or issue any ultimatums. Plus she is going to be away for awhile and doesn't need the hassle of finding new people which may be why she unilaterally gave you the salary bump. Even when she comes back she is not going to be looking for extra hassles so if you're producing and not causing issues for her then my bet is you are secure.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Usually I would say do not accept a counter offer for the reason you state, but in this case you did not make any salary increase demands or issue any ultimatums. Plus she is going to be away for awhile and doesn't need the hassle of finding new people which may be why she unilaterally gave you the salary bump. Even when she comes back she is not going to be looking for extra hassles so if you're producing and not causing issues for her then my bet is you are secure.
This sounds reasonable. You're right, especially since she's looking for a junior analyst for me to manage (regardless of promotion).

Old 06-25-2018, 11:14 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,492,045 times
Is it possible your current boss reads City-Data and has figured out who you are?

Old 06-26-2018, 12:59 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,612,531 times
Stay with the known good stuff at currect work, it would be a nightmare to start the new job and find out it's a mismatch.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:54 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,758,216 times
"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".

Old 06-26-2018, 06:02 AM

Btw I’ve decided, guess it wouldn’t make much sense for me to leave when I’m making the same amount of money plus the fact that I’m happy here. It’s gonna be tough to burn bridges with them but it’s business after all...

I hope I won’t regret this forever

Thanks guys. I’ll keep you all updated.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:03 AM

5,840 posts, read 3,258,823 times
I think that the retailer that you are working with really likes you. I believe that your current company has a strategy to deal with the contraction in the retail market and you are part of that strategy.

When a company talks with money, that's not BS.
You don't know what the culture is going to be like at [snip], do you? You have a known quantity at the retailer.

The treasury yield curve is almost flat. If the leading economic indicators go negative, you will be the new guy at [snip]. I was a programmer but you are a financial analyst. The overdue recession should be even more obvious to you.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-26-2018 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: Company name deleted.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:14 AM

50,443 posts, read 64,273,051 times
I’m late to the party, but I would keep my current job at the higher salary. Happiness is very important. [snip] will still be there if you want to become available again in a few years. If they want you now, they’ll most likely want you then.

I’d make sure it leaks around the office, that you were pursued by another company.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-26-2018 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: Company name deleted.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I think that the retailer that you are working with really likes you. I believe that your current company has a strategy to deal with the contraction in the retail market and you are part of that strategy.

When a company talks with money, that's not BS.
You don't know what the culture is going to be like at [snip], do you? You have a known quantity at the retailer.

The treasury yield curve is almost flat. If the leading economic indicators go negative, you will be the new guy at [snip]. I was a programmer but you are a financial analyst. The overdue recession should be even more obvious to you.
Hey thanks for your insights here.
Yeah you’re right, and again I work on the eCommerce side, which is actually on an uptrend.
Why fix something that’s not broken right?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-26-2018 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: Company name deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment