Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 06:44 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,222,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I know this may be way over the heads of almost all typical know-nothing workers in the USA, but the US and State Governments with their worker protection laws is the Biggest Labor Union in the world! I hope and pray that this ruling starts to dissolve some of the useless union inspired worker protection regulations and laws government forces on us. My money was well spent buying workers stupidity into electing our man to power and hopefully the tax cut will enable us to buy many more. Now if we can finally end this union hold on america by doing something about all those pesky union spearheaded regulations that provides worker's protections, that is when we can move forward. But, so long as we have OSHA, Wage and Hour departments, Minimum wages, Unemployment tax burdens, etc., etc., etc... we will never be free from the worst Union of all, the government!
It wasn't over my head. New York and New Jersey have already passed laws to minimize the effect of the court ruling. I only hope that some stupid wiseguy like Janus passes on union coverage and gets fired for nothing other than he is not liked.

It happens all the time in the private sector.

Last edited by Tonyafd; 06-27-2018 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 06:48 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
It's not just cops and teachers. The idea is to destroy unions.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Yep. I am surprised it took this long for this to pass. That people were forced to pay into unions they didn't want to use is crazy. Just like corporations need to be removed from the political process, so do unions.
But it didn't work out that way did it?
The corporations have citizens united and the unions have Janus.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:06 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
But it didn't work out that way did it?
The corporations have citizens united and the unions have Janus.
We are moving in the right direction. That's the point here.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
It is not about speech as much as being about having to pay dues to an organization in order to keep a government job. The decision removes that necessity, so the argument goes that 'free speech' is restored to workers, at least, that's how the justices decided.

As others have stated, the people who will suffer from this decision won't realize it for a while.
Here is a quote from the majority opinion:
JUSTICE ALITO delivered the opinion of the Court.
Under Illinois law, public employees are forced to subsidize a union, even if they choose not to join and strongly object to the positions the union takes in collective bargaining and related activities. We conclude that this arrangement violates the free speech rights of nonmembers by compelling them to subsidize private speech on matters of substantial public concern.

The first amendment is specifically mentioned. What the ruling is about is to weaken unions to the point where unions virtually have no effect on elections. The long term goal is destroy the last of the powerful unions the public unions.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:13 PM

For the six years following the financial crisis of 2008 nonunion workers in New York State did not get a raise. Unionized employees missed only three raises.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
We are moving in the right direction. That's the point here.
If you still think that at 55 then there might be some substance to what you said. Remember what I've said here with no malice. I've been there and done that.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I think it's closer to pitching a fit about your tax dollars funding the police. Nobody needs the cops...until they do.
Quote:
Can you explain the logic in thinking union dues and taxes are the same thing?
Tremoni is making a comparison. A pretty good one. The cops protect the public. The unions protect their membership.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:24 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
If you still think that at 55 then there might be some substance to what you said. Remember what I've said here with no malice. I've been there and done that.
I never said anything about the future. This particular case is nothing but a good thing.

Last edited by Lekrii; 06-27-2018 at 08:11 PM..

Old 06-27-2018, 08:13 PM

626 posts, read 626,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Whose fault is that? You're an adult. If you wanted to know who represented you, you should have found out. And perhaps the Greyhound people saw their reps with greater frequency because their workplace had more problems than yours. Just because you didn't see the union at your installation didn't mean they weren't doing their job.

There are good unions and bad unions. I was given lots of opportunities to work with the union because I showed an interest. That's it. I went to meetings and they were like, "Whoa! A young person who's interested. Let's grab her!!!" People like you are part of the problem. The union is nothing without collective action.
The whole issue is that Janus didn't want to be apart of the Union and never wanted to join it at all. But he was still forced to pay the money every single paycheck into the union for that money to be spent on politicians that he didn't agree with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment