Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 07:40 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,586,620 times

Advertisements

I've heard some on the forums say that. Others have disagreed. I will state that I have seen even cashier jobs listed on Indeed requiring 6 months cashier experience, and other things that are basic still requiring experience. IT requires years of experience for "entry level".

Those are what I've dealt with, so I can't say for sure about other areas, but maybe others on here can.

Also, even if entry-level no experience jobs aren't gone, would you say that they are:

1.) More prevalent than they were 15 years ago.
2.) The same as they were 15 years ago.
3.) Less prevalent than they were 15 years ago.
4.) About the same for low-skilled low-wage jobs but less than college educated/high skilled jobs of 15 years ago.

(BTW, I picked 15 years because if I picked 10, then that would go into the Great Recession and could throw some data off.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 09:18 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
There are McJobs that can be obtained without experience.
They're dead-end and there's no way up from them. In addition, they're going to be automated out of existence.

After the 2008 crash, 5 million jobs were sliced - all were middle class jobs or above. During the "recovery" we have had since then, 5 million jobs were created and more than half were McJobs. What do you think happened to all those middle class people who lost their jobs and could not get one of the middle class jobs that were created later? Yup. They're stuck in McJobs.

I don't count McJobs as "entry level" - they're the bottom rung and there are no way up.

There are sales jobs that can be obtained without experience. Those have high turnover and many people quit after getting tiny commission checks that are not enough to pay rent. Most sales jobs are dead end, though some great salespeople become sales managers, so there is some way up.

But when it comes to graduating college/university/training and trying to get an entry level job that has potential to move up in, none of those exist without experience requirements.

Sometime between the Dot Com Crash of 2001 and the 2008 financial crisis is when I put the transition from "Hey, we have entry level jobs that require no experience and you can join the bottom rung of the corporate ladder and move up" to Entry level jobs require 2-3 years experience and a degree.

During this time, Internships switched from being available after graduation to now only being available while in school.

In addition, internships went from a training job that they transition into a full time employee (FTE) job, to a crap shoot - if one doesn't get a FTE job after the internship, they are not qualified at all for a FTE job and are now unable to get more internships because they've graduated.

Career changers are locked out of internships if they're taking classes at night while in their old role. Their choice is either starve during the internship (because many are unpaid) and hope they get a FTE job or be stuck in their old role. No choice there.

Last edited by bobsell; 06-28-2018 at 09:28 PM..

Old 06-28-2018, 09:40 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Yes, there are still entry level, no experience jobs out there. Someone is hiring those new college graduates for example. Maybe not everyone in the exact job they expected, but they are getting hired. The problem we've had has been finding qualified graduates. And no, I'm not talking about purple squirrels. I'm talking there are more opportunities than graduates available in the degree field.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Yes, there are still entry level, no experience jobs out there. Someone is hiring those new college graduates for example. Maybe not everyone in the exact job they expected, but they are getting hired. The problem we've had has been finding qualified graduates. And no, I'm not talking about purple squirrels. I'm talking there are more opportunities than graduates available in the degree field.
Why is nobody qualified then? Why did we have qualified grads in the past but we don't have enough now?

Old 06-28-2018, 09:51 PM

187 posts, read 128,423 times
Sure there are entry level jobs!
Office supply stores, CVS, etc.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:32 PM

801 posts, read 547,221 times
If there were no more entry level professional jobs, no one would be able to start a career after finishing college.....

Old 06-28-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
If there were no more entry level professional jobs, no one would be able to start a career after finishing college.....
I didn't say that there were no more left, obviously. I asked if they were decreasing from what they once were.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:26 PM

89 posts, read 113,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Also, even if entry-level no experience jobs aren't gone, would you say that they are:

1.) More prevalent than they were 15 years ago.
2.) The same as they were 15 years ago.
3.) Less prevalent than they were 15 years ago.
4.) About the same for low-skilled low-wage jobs but less than college educated/high skilled jobs of 15 years ago.
I would say entry-level jobs are disappearing but would never fully go away. I would guess somewhere around 90% for how many jobs out there require some sort of experience. They are definitely less prevalent than they were 15 years ago, but not much less so just for the simple fact that employers started moving away from entry-level around 2000 or so and it feels like it has all been the same since I graduated in 2003, i.e. can't get almost any job without experience even then.

I don't think I've ever seen a retail job since I've been out of school that doesn't require some type of related experience, even if only 6 months. I was never able to get a callback for retail when I was first starting out.

In fact--the only jobs I've seen out there where you can truly get them with no experience and you didn't study something like Comp Sci are fast food, some warehouse jobs, unsecure sales jobs (i.e. all commission or you're subject to being fired if you don't meet whatever quotas/sales standards they're seeking) and jobs where a foreigner is doing the hiring (so, like, some convenience stores and some hotels are run by Indians or Middle Eastern people and have different/lower hiring standards than white people usually do but have unreasonable expectations/demands as you're working for them, especially for the pay--so, again, you can easily get fired). I know about the foreigners because that's how I got my very first job (and have worked for two or three of them at different places), and also because I saw how they went about hiring--and firing--other people. I got my tech career started with some crappy warehouse job where they repair a lot of electronics.

Now, with some tech jobs, like programming-related jobs...you can get a job straight out of school and with no related experience, but you're probably going to get put through the ringer in terms of proving you can "white board" or can code or can answer questions that have nothing to do with being able to code. I am happy with my current job, but I recently talked to a recruiter at a company about a junior developer position (i.e. willing to consider a developer with little or no experience)--I do a little coding at my current job, but very little and have never worked as a programmer. And the interview process she was telling me about at this company just involved too much--talking to her, skills tests, Skype interviews with others, etc. I know this type of stuff is normal to people who are developers/programmers, but I'm just saying...for the most part, with other types of jobs you don't have to go through all these hoops and a long, drawn-out hiring process. I've done a few interviews beyond a preliminary phone call for programming jobs, and they were pretty much discouraging. It's really not an entry-level process for most of those jobs.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
No —if the Wall is built —the low jobs will be abundant - but no skill jobs are always a bad pick

Old 06-29-2018, 06:10 AM

801 posts, read 547,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I didn't say that there were no more left, obviously. I asked if they were decreasing from what they once were.
Well.. if entry level jobs were disappearing, wouldn't it become increasingly more difficult to start a professional career as time goes by? I haven't noticed that.

From personal experience and observation, those who can't start a professional career either:
1. Didn't study something that's in demand.
2. Didn't do anything outside of the classroom that can be used to sell themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment