Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 04:31 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Yes it does. When you can work because you want to its much different then because you have rent to pay, bills are piling up and your worried about keeping yourself having food and a roof.
Agreed that it's different, but don't see how "easier". I would think that if you needed to work to pay bills, food, and roof that would instill a stronger motivation to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 06:52 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Agreed that it's different, but don't see how "easier". I would think that if you needed to work to pay bills, food, and roof that would instill a stronger motivation to work.
Thank you. I'm still not understanding this logic of theirs that it is "easier" to work long hours knowing you can leave anytime you want. Makes no sense to me no matter how long I think about it.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:14 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Thank you. I'm still not understanding this logic of theirs that it is "easier" to work long hours knowing you can leave anytime you want. Makes no sense to me no matter how long I think about it.
From a mental standpoint, it is easier to do something when you know there is an end in sight or you can leave at any time. If all you can see is more of the same, it can be very stressful and draining. People run faster during sprints than they do in marathons. Those hours can be maintained for a summer, but for years or decades, it is going to be much harder.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:37 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
A friend of mine is a manager at a Panda Express. So I texted him. He said, and I quote from his text message, "There is no way we would allow employees to work a 13 hour schedule from 10 AM to 11 PM, by a 16 year old or any other aged employee. Whoever told you that has incorrect information or something is wrong".

You can return back to your "feel good" story.
lol..ok..what a timing you happened to know somebody managing a panda express after accusing OP of lying...

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 07-03-2018 at 10:45 PM..

Old 07-03-2018, 10:42 PM

OP, All this proves is that there are lazy people and not lazy people. Many people who needs to work to make money to survive still don't work hard enough or try hard enough. Because they are lazy.
My friends son started to work as a waiter in a nice restaurant when just turned 17. He worked every day after school and he kept top grades. He just turned 18. He works very hard while he lives at home still. He also have dreams of becoming an interventional Radiologist and he probably will succeed.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:18 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
That's great to hear a 16 year old working a service job, don't see that often now.
I am surprised panda express would work him so many hours though, must be in a labor friendly state, couldn't do that in mine.
Couldn't do it here in CA either, I am finding the number of hours suspect.

Nice to hear about hard working teens in the summer, but what fast food place schedules those kind of shifts, they don't normally.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:21 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
lol..ok..what a timing you happened to know somebody managing a panda express after accusing OP of lying...
Well it's not believable, it that OK with you?

Maybe the OP meant he is working 11 hours a week. A few of us have caught that. I worked fast food(McDonalds and Pizza Hut) as a young person, no one worked those long hours, usually 4 hours to maybe 6 hours.

There are things called labor laws and this is a corporate chain.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well it's not believable, it that OK with you?

Maybe the OP meant he is working 11 hours a week. A few of us have caught that. I worked fast food(McDonalds and Pizza Hut) as a young person, no one worked those long hours, usually 4 hours to maybe 6 hours.

There are things called labor laws and this is a corporate chain.
It's not believable that his friend just happened to work at Panda Express..lol

So labor laws,, do they apply to what type of jobs? I mean, I worked almost 18 hour straight a few days ago.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:50 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Because one is there by choice. There is a difference. I was a SAHM for 17 years. I did not have to go back to work. I did because I like to work, after my sons were older, being home alone for 35 hours a week was not enjoyable to me. We could still live off my husband's paycheck it we needed to. I do think it is easier for me to be at work than someone who has to be there to earn a paycheck to take care of their family. I can easily take off extra days when I need to or want to without that feeling of--how will I pay the bills. It is a different mindset.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:25 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
OP, All this proves is that there are lazy people and not lazy people. Many people who needs to work to make money to survive still don't work hard enough or try hard enough. Because they are lazy.

Which is exactly why this thread was started as I stated further up in the thread. It was meant to bash (in a subtle way) others here on this forum who are having a hard time. But the OP will never admit it.

I am proud of others too yet you don't see me starting a thread about it. I tell it to them in person, not on a forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment