Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 02:12 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,247,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I'd guess the manager did not believe the employee, or that there is much more to this than what the employee posted on her facebook account. Give me a break.
Unless you think the employee was flat out lying about her son being on life support, please provide whatever you think could be the appropriate context for the manager to say "There is no reason you can't work" under these circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 03:01 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,066,662 times
Circa 1988: When my (now ex) wife was expecting, my boss called me and wanted me to fly out to a job assignment. When I explained that it was too far away and the wife was overdue, he said for me to tell so-and-so to find me some assigned time or he'd ship me out for a month.

That was in mid-Oct. By the end of Dec, I had resigned. I decided that taking care of an 8-week old baby during the day and going for a masters full-time at night was a better option that working for that *******.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:06 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,311,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I once had a boss tell me that she was putting me down as a no-call no-show when I called her to let her know I could not make it into work six hours prior to the start of my shift.
That kind of stuff can get a person killed if they do it to the wrong person. I'm surprised people don't go postal more often actually.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:03 PM

4,991 posts, read 2,724,844 times
When I was a small child, I got sick and my mother wanted to take care of me. She worked at a bank and she called in to ask for a sick day so that she could look after me.

The boss told her "I hired you, not your son".

LOL!

Old 07-03-2018, 04:04 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,402,120 times
What a scumbag.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:10 PM
KCZ

4,682 posts, read 3,682,766 times
Rereading the quoted text messages, it says the employee said she couldn't return to work until her son was off life support. The employer said "I've been more than accommodating during this allowing schedule changes and such." If she doesn't qualify for FLMA, can't work indefinitely and someone else has to be hired to cover for her, then the company can terminate her. It seems like there's a lot we haven't been told here.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:30 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,565,931 times
truthfully I am not surprised. this sort of stuff often happens to workers who are in low paid service jobs. You should have seen some of the awful treatment I saw while working at Walmart during college. Now let me say that was 30 years ago and I've heard that the company supposedly has gotten better, after numerous lawsuits but at my store the managers treated some of the workers like slaves.

I sincerely believed it did more to keep me in college than any thing else. I swore I would do every thing in my power to never ever be in a position where I had to put up with that crap.

truthfully though, if my son was somewhere on life support and really could care less what the A-hole of a boss said but glad she got the texts.

lol, karma is a you know what.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:36 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,565,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Rereading the quoted text messages, it says the employee said she couldn't return to work until her son was off life support. The employer said "I've been more than accommodating during this allowing schedule changes and such." If she doesn't qualify for FLMA, can't work indefinitely and someone else has to be hired to cover for her, then the company can terminate her. It seems like there's a lot we haven't been told here.
???? You know some times there simply isn't any more that needs to be told.

sorry, at some point, an employer needs to have some human COMPASSION. first most of the time when you take extended time off you don't get paid so even IF the company had to hire someone to cover her, they would not have been out an extra salary.

When my husband died my boss told me my job would be there whenever I was ready to come back. NOw I did not get paid after using up my vacation and so forth but I was out almost a year. not only did I have no issues, my boss sent me to see the company's attorneys who gave me a crap load of legal help for nothing.

Yes, there are some issues that go above making a buck.

A women who is about to lose a child?? you don't threaten her by text with termination. period, I don't care what else we don't know.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:04 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,710,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
The woman’s boss is clearly an idiot.
The woman is clearly an idiot. All she has to do is sign up for FMLA leave and she is unfireable.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:29 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,068,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The woman is clearly an idiot. All she has to do is sign up for FMLA leave and she is unfireable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
FMLA might not apply. You need to be at a company for a year, the company must have at least 50 employees, and you do need to submit appropriate paperwork.

We don’t know if any of these things were done.
Already addressed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment