Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 06:01 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Sorry; I misspoke. I meant civil rights violation.
I don’t see it being a civil rights violation at all! These are not mandatory events. The company is trying to break up the day and create a work environment that gives back to the employees. Maybe I missed it, but these gatherings are during work time, correct? It’s not like they are asking you to stay after hours are they? That’s one thing I don’t always are with but if it’s during work time, geez take the break!

I’m over 40, and yes I like to socialize, but I see no harm in having lunch ON THE BOSS to congratulates ones retirement, promotion, Bday, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 06:58 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Lots of people don't understand what introverts are, of they have an ancient, parodied idea of what introversion/extroversion is in relation to one another.
YES! Us introverts get pretty tired explaining this all the time. Maybe this forum needs a sticky note at the top so the topic can be laid to rest for good.

What is the functional definition of extrovert.
What is the functional definition of introvert.

Sigh. Likely futile. People will stubbornly try to justify their sulky behavior using the wrong label, continue to misunderstand, and keep trying to mind-meld anti-social with introvert in their forum tirades.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:59 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I don’t see it being a civil rights violation at all! These are not mandatory events. The company is trying to break up the day and create a work environment that gives back to the employees. Maybe I missed it, but these gatherings are during work time, correct? It’s not like they are asking you to stay after hours are they? That’s one thing I don’t always are with but if it’s during work time, geez take the break!

I’m over 40, and yes I like to socialize, but I see no harm in having lunch ON THE BOSS to congratulates ones retirement, promotion, Bday, etc.
No, you didn't miss anything. This is lunch every few months that the boss pays for. During the workday.

Oh, the horror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
YES! Us introverts get pretty tired explaining this all the time. Maybe this forum needs a sticky note at the top so the topic can be laid to rest for good.

What is the functional definition of extrovert.
What is the functional definition of introvert.

Sigh. Likely futile. People will stubbornly try to justify their sulky behavior using the wrong label, continue to misunderstand, and keep trying to mind-meld anti-social with introvert in their forum tirades.
Please, I always pretty much used lunch hour to go off and eat by myself with a book. I worked at one company that was close to a local shopping mall that had a huge food court. I would look for seating that was kind of crowded, so when coworkers showed up(usually 2 or 3) I didn't get the "can we sit with you" routine....LOL.

However, going out once in awhile and when someone is retiring or leaving the company(and the boss is paying) isn't going to kill you.

I wonder how some people get through life if this is so overwhelming. No one is being asked to hang out after work, or go to weekend BBQs at the home of the boss.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:46 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Being anti-social is not a civil right.
It's not being "antisocial"; that's your (biased and discriminatory) interpretation.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:27 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
It's not being "antisocial"; that's your (biased and discriminatory) interpretation.
and to reiterate YET again, there is no discrimination here. No matter how hard you try to victimize yourself, you aren't a victim.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:22 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times
Quote:
Not biased. It objectively is anti-social (well, asocial, if you're being pedantic) behavior. Yes, it is by definition discriminatory, and there's nothing wrong with that. Being anti-social is not (and should not be) behavior legally protected from discrimination while in the workplace.

Being asked to go to lunch with co-workers once every few months on the company dime is not discrimination. Next you'll tell me you feel discriminated against by your neighbor asking you how your day went when you run into each other taking out the trash.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:39 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
I don’t attend any social events that I don’t really want to attend, but it doesn’t matter for me because I’m not trying to get ahead.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Trust me being absent from social events affords the opportunity to talk about you

Old 07-26-2018, 07:10 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
"I don’t see it being a civil rights violation at all! These are not mandatory events."

OMG. When your supervisor chases you down in your office in the middle of it and states with displeasure that he notices you're not there, that's "mandatory."

It always pays to go back and read the initial couple of posts in a thread this long.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:27 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,102,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Trust me being absent from social events affords the opportunity to talk about you
They're going to talk about you anyway. Not going to a social function has nothing to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment