Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 01:13 PM

23 posts, read 15,468 times

Advertisements

1. You are frequently angry and resentful towards your workplace.

2. You dread going in to work.

3. You hate a number of your coworkers and supervisors.

4. When people in your personal life ask about your job, you change the subject or walk out of the room.

5. You spend a lot of time researching other career fields, even ones that will pay significantly less.

6. You are easily distracted at work and deep down, you know you're just going through the motions to keep the paychecks coming in and don't really care about what you're doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 01:55 PM

326 posts, read 199,360 times
7. When you are 3 days late getting your paycheck.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:08 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times
8. You spend more time on City Data forum whining about how you never get promoted, how your coworkers get away with bloody murder, and how you hate everyone at work and how fake they are, than actually doing what you are being paid for.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:10 PM

283 posts, read 198,502 times
8. When your chance of picking up new skills is constantly blocked.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:29 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Constant “reorganization” and management changes every few months and when a company “centralizes” much of its administrative operatioins while forcing the old experienced workers out the door resulting in the loss of decades and decades of tribal knowledge. It’s time to cut bait and run

Old 08-14-2018, 04:50 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
The employer turns a blind eye and covers up unethical and illegal behavior, and promotes the offenders to higher ranks.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:13 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgeonman View Post
1. You are frequently angry and resentful towards your workplace.

2. You dread going in to work.

3. You hate a number of your coworkers and supervisors.

4. When people in your personal life ask about your job, you change the subject or walk out of the room.

5. You spend a lot of time researching other career fields, even ones that will pay significantly less.

6. You are easily distracted at work and deep down, you know you're just going through the motions to keep the paychecks coming in and don't really care about what you're doing.
I would be #2, 5, and 6.

1) I don't resent my work place. I more blame myself for the bad decisions that led to where I am now.I do resent society in general because of the way careers and jobs are set up, but not my job in particular.

3) Not really. They're OK. There's favoritism that works against me and people who ride me, but that's either prevalent everywhere or just par for the course for the career I've chosen.

4) I can talk about it.

Finding a new JOB is typically fairly easy. Finding a new CAREER is exceedingly difficult, so there needs to be a distinction of whether the cause of your unhappiness is the job or the career. Not an easy task.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:59 AM

283 posts, read 198,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Constant “reorganization” and management changes every few months and when a company “centralizes” much of its administrative operatioins while forcing the old experienced workers out the door resulting in the loss of decades and decades of tribal knowledge. It’s time to cut bait and run
The oldies are stuck because no employer will have them.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:26 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by May1989 View Post
The oldies are stuck because no employer will have them.
Not entirely true. While it is a major challenge (due to discrimination) to obtain a decent White Collar job as you get older this is not the case in many industries. Retail, Restaurant, Light Industrial and Warehouse, Call Centers, etc. all will hire older workers because typically older workers have more experience and are less likely to take time off from work for various reasons. In the current economy which favors potential employees, finding a new job, regardless of age, should not be that difficult.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I would consider any one of those by itself to be enough reason to look for a new job. I have never experienced any of those, but have left because I hit a dead-end in advancement opportunities. I'm in that situation again after 9 years at this place, but happy to play out the last few years before retiring in my current role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment